advertisement

It’s about time for another LS3/5a ( plus others ) Shootout.

Someone certainly needs to document and write-up what occurs here. It’s too far away for me, plus I’m not really going out much at all at present, but I’m sure many will be fascinated be the results.

The things I’d suggest/recommend is that not all the speakers will like the same amps or room positioning, so it may take a bit of effort to get them all to do what they can do. As an example if I was taking my LS3/5As I’d likely dem them with a Leak valve amp and over a metre from any wall boundary. The JR149s seem to prefer the Pass class A solid state and want to be about 30cm from the wall. Similar speakers in many ways, but very different in others.

Someone certainly needs to document and write-up what occurs here. It’s too far away for me, plus I’m not really going out much at all at present, but I’m sure many will be fascinated be the results.

The things I’d suggest/recommend is that not all the speakers will like the same amps or room positioning, so it may take a bit of effort to get them all to do what they can do. As an example if I was taking my LS3/5As I’d likely dem them with a Leak valve amp and over a metre from any wall boundary. The JR149s seem to prefer the Pass class A solid state and want to be about 30cm from the wall. Similar speakers in many ways, but very different in others.

Hi Tony
Understood - the devil may be in the detail. Certainly we'll be thinking carefully about amplification. Happily there is a live thread in the main Audio section on this very topic :)
Once we are happy with a venue and date, we'll understand who's coming, the Ls3/5a line up, the 'other' line up, what amps anyone is happy to bring and try and get a clear plan.

Then we have to decide music!... that's going to be a fun one :p

It there's wi-fi, you could set up a Zoom stream for those unable to attend. They won't be able to gauge the audio, but could at least join in the discussion.

If anyone has decent interface and a pair of decent microphones, those who are remote could get a sense of what's going on!

Zoom has some features to optimise the audio too.

Worksop's probably too far away for me as well. From the perspective of Norwich you're closer to LA than me!

You need a tour!

Stephen

It there's wi-fi, you could set up a Zoom stream for those unable to attend. They won't be able to gauge the audio, but could at least join in the discussion.

If anyone has decent interface and a pair of decent microphones, those who are remote could get a sense of what's going on!

Zoom has some features to optimise the audio too.

Worksop's probably too far away for me as well. From the perspective of Norwich you're closer to LA than me!

You need a tour!

Stephen

That's a really interesting suggestion. I'll absolutely explore a virtual dial in element. Would be great to have an option for others to contribute.

And yes - I can see this being portable, in terms of holding other regional events but that will need some other members to take on.

Richard

I can't offer any speakers, Harbeth P3ESR and Falcon Q7 here so you purists will ban me ;)

Bet you want to hear the Q7s though.........

I do have a Leak 20 I could offer.

I can't offer any speakers, Harbeth P3ESR and Falcon Q7 here so you purists will ban me ;)

Hi Ian, I think the ‘plus others’ covers it perhaps.

I’m half thinking about joining with my S3/5R2’s

Last edited:

These are exactly the ‘others’ we were thinking of
Once I’ve gone to see the space on Monday and fed back I’ll start sorting and confirming attendees / kit etc

I have Stirling V3s & JR149s here. Not sure how others feel but I personally think the JRs should be on the others list as well.
TS

Oh would love to her the Stirling V3. I'd be secretly hoping I don't favour them as buying a pair is out of the question !
On actual speaker selection, I certainly agree with you on the 149s.

Oh would love to her the Stirling V3. I'd be secretly hoping I don't favour them as buying a pair is out of the question !
On actual speaker selection, I certainly agree with you on the 149s.
I'm actually a little concerned in the other direction, will it turn out my 2.4K Stirlings sound no better than a 1K pair of Pro-ac Tablettes!
TS

These are the only Harbeth that I have heard so cannot compare with other Harbeth models.
I did compared them to ProAc Tab 10s.
The Tab sounded quite thin and sterile.
Bear in mind that I rarely exceed 80dbs. At higher be volume the tabs wake up and start making sense.
The Harbeth sound is softer yet fuller. They sound very balanced with no specific frequencies standing out, not tiresome at all which suits me for long low volume sessions late at night.
Another quality that I admire in the Harbeth is that they are very easy to match with amplifiers;
the Nait2, Exposure XX, Quad 306 and ever the Rega IO all make the Harbeth sing.
There are a few reviews online if you Google.

Just looked at Worksop at this nearly a three hour run for me - left shoulder, right shoulder.....

Since I proposed this back in August 2020, things have changed in my life with the unexpected death
of my eldest son.
I’m hoping to go, but haven’t made a decision yet.

advertisement

Back