advertisement

LS3/5a - what Amps are PF-ers using ?

Falcon Silver with Naim CB 32.5/Hi Cap/160, original spec recently serviced by Class A.

Have also tried Bryston B60R, Rega Elex R, Primare i15, Rega Io and Naim Nait 1.

My Stirling V3s with Quad 405-2, Quad II monoblocks, PS Audio S300. All with Quad QC-24 preamp, Van Alstine tube preamp, passive preamp.
It really doesn't matter what quality amp I use, the V3s always sound great. I've never heard a mismatch between the speakers and a wide variety of amplification options.

Now I'd love to hear them with the Quad IIs !

Heard these speakers with this amp long time ago and it was a pure delight. Completely addictive without any listener fatigue over several hours. That’s what I would buy if I was on the market for these little speakers.

They're lovely with the 303. LS3/5a and Quad does have a nice feel to it I think.

Falcon Q7 with a Black Ice Audio EL-34 amp. Best I've ever heard.

iu

Whether intentional or not it seems a lot of folk are using amps that roll-off the highs a little with these speakers, is that a fair interpretation?

Stirling Broadcast V3 with Nait 2.
Works for me as well.

I had a Quad 34/303, an Arcam Delta 60 and a Marantz integrated
( that Doug Stirling recommended ) previously.
All had their pros & cons.
Somehow, though, the Nait 2 sounds the best to my ears...

To my genuine and utter regret I have never heard s Naim amp in my system. Must get my 34 out from under the bed !

Had Stirling V2s, now have V3s. I have used a Khozmo passive/Leak Stereo 20, Ion Obelisk 3, Quad 33/303, Rotel A10 & currently using a Naim Nait 5si.
They all sound excellent in there own way. My experience is that the LS3/5A & close relatives are amongst the most amp agnostic speakers you can buy.
A couple of others I would love to try are a Sugden A21 & Radford ST15 or 25
TS

Had Stirling V2s, now have V3s. I have used a Khozmo passive/Leak Stereo 20, Ion Obelisk 3, Quad 33/303, Rotel A10 & currently using a Naim Nait 5si.
They all sound excellent in there own way. My experience is that the LS3/5A & close relatives are amongst the most amp agnostic speakers you can buy.
A couple of others I would love to try are a Sugden A21 & Radford ST15 or 25
TS

Amp agnostic is s great term ! Same here re: sugden.

Never mind a hi fi show, we should have an LS3/5a show ! :)

The Sugden A1ap power amp version is a good choice. You get the Sugden A21 sound plus you can use a fancy preamp to maximise the performance. I had a Nagra PL-P at the same time which is so adjustable it works with anything. Also tried it with a Croft 25R which worked well.

Yes, that fits with my findings too. I think the key factor here is they are an easy load and therefore one only needs a decent amp, not a decent powerful amp which is far harder to find IME. The lack of efficiency just doesn’t matter as no one would want to crank such a tiny little speaker up loud, so really a good 10-15 Watts is all you need, hence folk liking Leaks, Quad IIs, Lebens, Naits, Sugdens, low output Pass etc (my Aleph 3 will only be 15 Watts into 16 Ohms, it’s 30 into 8).

Yes, that fits with my findings too. I think the key factor here is they are an easy load and therefore one only needs a decent amp, not a decent powerful amp which is far harder to find IME. The lack of efficiency just doesn’t matter as no one would want to crank such a tiny little speaker up loud, so really a good 10-15 Watts is all you need, hence folk liking Leaks, Quad IIs, Lebens, Naits, Sugdens, low output Pass etc (my Aleph 3 will only be 15 Watts into 16 Ohms, it’s 30 into 8).

And bottom line currently listening with the Croft/,303 combo is that I can't imagine enjoying them more with anything else.

Apart from the fun factor of course.

The V3 is an LS3/5a with an upgraded crossover by Derek Hughes.
The Falcon Gold is an LS3/5a with an upgraded crossover by Derek Hughes.

I'd love to do a comparison someday.
The Graham audio LS3/5 variants also have crossovers designed by Derek Hughs iirc.

Sugden A21SE Signature with my Gold Badge Q7s. Getting them on 70cm stands was the icing on the hardware cake.

I can only imagine room tweaks being necessary for the the foreseeable future.

And bottom line currently listening with the Croft/,303 combo is that I can't imagine enjoying them more with anything else.

I ran a gain-reduced Croft 25R with my 303 for a while and loved it, very similar to my current Verdier/303. With the right speakers, and LS3/5As certainly count, it does all I need and more. It sounds superb and just gets out of the way and allows the music to do its thing unhindered. I’ve run a valve pre/303 combo for at least a decade now and out of all the amps I have it is what I’d keep if I slimmed down to one system.

advertisement

Back