advertisement

LS3/5a - what Amps are PF-ers using ?

Ianp

pfm Member
Bit of interest and fun really, I know there's a few here who love these addictive shoeboxes, so as e recent new user, what make do you have and what Amps do you use ?

Falcon Q7 here with Croft 25R pre and 7 and Quad 303 power.

I’ve so far tried a Leak Stereo 20, Leak TL12+ monos, a Quad 303 and a Pass Aleph 3 with either a Audio Synthesis ProPassion or a Verdier Control B preamp. They all work well and bring slightly different things. I’d really struggle to rank them.

I’ve so far tried a Leak Stereo 20, Leak TL12+ monos, a Quad 303 and a Pass Aleph 3 with either a Audio Synthesis ProPassion or a Verdier Control B preamp. They all work well and bring slightly different things. I’d really struggle to rank them.

Yet to try my Leak 20. Later this week on perhaps.

Stirling Broadcast V2 & V3 with Jadis I35 (6CA7 tubes) and Belles Aria.

Just entered the LS 3/5a world largely to find "the" standmount for the Jadis. I've played a bit with cabling and have tended to like copper over cable with sliver content. I must say that having spent a lot of time on the LS 3/5a Lovers Forum and the Owners forum the range of amplifiers used is about as varied as I've seen for any speaker. Does seem the higher 15 ohm responds slightly better to tubes both push/pull and single ended where the 11 ohm has a foot in tube and SS camps. Notice recently owners reporting great results with Nait 1 & 2 which I didnt want to hear as my Nait 1 of 30+ years went out the door at same time the Stirling V2's arrived.....

Naim NAP 140 is a very good match, strange as it may seem. I use mine with a DIY passive pre with a pair of Khozmo stepped attenuators and it's about as good as it needs to be. Not nearly as good with a Naim preamp, though.

As you know Ian, I’m using the Amplabs-serviced 303 at the moment and we know it’s a good match.

Years ago when I had Stirling V2, I used Nagra VPA monos with their push-pull 845 valves in 50W class A as well as Leben CS660 and a Quad 306 too. The Nagra valves certainly sounded pretty amazing. Should have some more Leben valves arriving soon…

Naim NAP 140 is a very good match, strange as it may seem. I use mine with a DIY passive pre with a pair of Khozmo stepped attenuators and it's about as good as it needs to be. Not nearly as good with a Naim preamp, though.

Oddly I could understand that as had the 140 and found it could be pretty average but also stellar with some speaker pairings.

I've not seen many pairings with gainclones? Wondering how a Audio Zone Amp-1, 47 Labs or Musica raicho might pair with LS 3/5a's?

My Gold badge Q7s are new as of yesterday and being fed by a Rega Aethos. Makes it difficult to make a amplifier comparison....... unhelpfully I can make a speaker comparison already, far more detailed than PMC 21s!

Spendor 3/5, now Spendor D1. Amps: Musicarch 300b, Graff C50, Chord Toby, Chord 2650 and Sugden Masterclass. I could recommend any combination of any of these.

My Gold badge Q7s are new as of yesterday and being fed by a Rega Aethos. Makes it difficult to make a amplifier comparison....... unhelpfully I can make a speaker comparison already, far more detailed than PMC 21s!

Oh to compare my 'regular' with your silver badge ! Whereabouts are you ?

My Stirling V3s with Quad 405-2, Quad II monoblocks, PS Audio S300. All with Quad QC-24 preamp, Van Alstine tube preamp, passive preamp.
It really doesn't matter what quality amp I use, the V3s always sound great. I've never heard a mismatch between the speakers and a wide variety of amplification options.

advertisement

Back