advertisement

Instant hot water taps

Reading the comments here have persuaded me not to get one.. I have kids and if the younger ones watch and see me or their mother doing a double click and twist, I can guarantee that one of the kids (who like to play at the sink) would burn themselves at some point..

Do any of the hot water taps have any additional child locks available? A double tap and twist isn’t exactly beyond a three year old.

How would the 3 year old be accessing a tap fitted on a standard worktop? If they're climbing then they're already into hazard territory. Don't get me wrong, I know that toddlers are inquisitive and daring, and I'm not judging!

We had a Qettle boiling tap (about half the price of Quooker) and it was rubbish. Continual issues, and whilst their customer service is pretty good, all I wanted was for boiling water to come out, and not having to dismantle the whole thing month after month to replace parts. Got a full refund in the end, after 18 months of hassle.

Now have a Quooker, and it has been flawless. Fitting was free. The boiling water is controlled by the aforementioned double push and turn, and it's not that easy to do, the right balance between child-proofing and usability. My mother can't do it!

In my opinion it's safe, and my kids have no need to deliver boiling water and as such never touch that part of it. The spout is insulated and doesn't get hot and the normal hot / cold flow is controlled like any other conventional tap.

We got one because we wanted to save worktop space in a newly fitted kitchen. Aside from making tea and coffee more quickly, it's also good for cooking e.g. boiling pasta or rice, and cleaning pans that need a soak - just speeds things up a little bit. Having said that, we have a rice cooker now (not taking up worktop space).

If you really wanted one but safety was your concern then I wouldn't let that side of it put you off.

How would the 3 year old be accessing a tap fitted on a standard worktop? If they're climbing then they're already into hazard territory. Don't get me wrong, I know that toddlers are inquisitive and daring, and I'm not judging!

We had a Qettle boiling tap (about half the price of Quooker) and it was rubbish. Continual issues, and whilst their customer service is pretty good, all I wanted was for boiling water to come out, and not having to dismantle the whole thing month after month to replace parts. Got a full refund in the end, after 18 months of hassle.

Now have a Quooker, and it has been flawless. Fitting was free. The boiling water is controlled by the aforementioned double push and turn, and it's not that easy to do, the right balance between child-proofing and usability. My mother can't do it!

In my opinion it's safe, and my kids have no need to deliver boiling water and as such never touch that part of it. The spout is insulated and doesn't get hot and the normal hot / cold flow is controlled like any other conventional tap.

We got one because we wanted to save worktop space in a newly fitted kitchen. Aside from making tea and coffee more quickly, it's also good for cooking e.g. boiling pasta or rice, and cleaning pans that need a soak - just speeds things up a little bit. Having said that, we have a rice cooker now (not taking up worktop space).

If you really wanted one but safety was your concern then I wouldn't let that side of it put you off.

Thanks for the reply, The youngest pulls a stool from the kitchen island and puts it in front of the sink so she can play with water in the sink.. difficult to stop her doing it tbh!!

Ok, your post reassures me a bit. Looking into it the Blanco one also looks nice - you can adjust the amount for tea, pots, pans etc. looks like a good idea..

https://www.blanco.com/gb-en/kitchen-taps/tap-styles/smart-taps/hot/

Thermostatic kettle - would never go back. As well as setting the right temp (eg 90 degrees for instant coffee) and less risk of scalding drinks, it chucks off far less water vapour as we very rarely set it to 100 deg. Very cool gadget which even my wife is now convinced by.

Thermostatic kettle

Interesting. I've never heard of those. Mind you, if its only use is to have the kettle switch off at a predetermined temp., I can't see the benefits when you can manually switch a kettle before boiling; maybe not to an accurate measure but is this needed? Coffee = before the boil and tea = on the boil as a general rule.

They are spot on for standard cups.

Does anyone use cups nowadays? We have quite a few redundant ones taking up space because it's been mugs all the way for decades. Our Russ.-Hobbs starts at 2 but does mention 'cup' on a label elsewhere. Offhand, I'd say that the average porcelain mug contains at least 20% more than your standard cup (reminder to measure).

By the way, to avoid starting a new thread, we use bottled water in our kettle for making the tea. I can't stand using tap water, or anything artificially softened. It also means the kettle last for years, with absolutely no calcium deposits.

Not all bottled water is created equal - only Tesco Ashbeck does the job for us so far. If you have any other suggestions, let me know - the dry residue of Ashbeck is around 85mg

We have the Franke (Omni) version, and our plumber rated it over the Quooker.

The boiling water is only “accessible” by pushing the handle down (like engaging reverse on some cars) and is quite a hard spring. Not easy to do accidentally. On balance I’d imagine it’s as easy, or even easier, to have an accident with a kettle.

My bigger concern was efficiency. Again, as you only use the amount of water required it’s quite likely it’s pretty comparable to using a kettle, unless you’re expert at filling just the right amount!

We also have the Franke Omni Tap & have found it much better and reliable than ones several friends have. With filtration built into the supply it removes all the tastes/contaminents others have talked about being in the boiled water. We have also found it to be pretty foolproof & think you'd have to be a bit dim to get it wrong.

The water is boiled via a thin spiral hollow element which the water passes thru when you turn the tap on. To make a cuppa just put the correct amount of boiling water (let it run for 1 or 2 seconds first) into your mug/cup drop your bag in as the temp is not too hot too scorch because the mug/cup absorbs some heat brew & drink a lovely cuppa

I had doubts about having one in our new kitchen but would'nt be without one now as has been said very versatile for cooking drinks just pure fresh boiled water time after time at your fingertips.

Now dead against one, just realised I can put the £1000 towards new Oled tv. I just have to come up with a convincing argument that will allay SWMBO’s suspicions on why I am now happy with a kettle :)

Tea bags in mugs.
How common.

Yup! Certainly is, so must have sth going for it. At Yorkshire Gold level, it's almost like brewing in a tea-pot, but as I use Y.G. loose (with a dash of lapsang, jasmine, mango and Darjeeling), for my 2 x early morning MUGS, I would say that.. Brewing for 1 mug just ain't efficient use of anything.

advertisement

Back