advertisement

The best sounding piece of kit you've ever owned (or enjoyed the most)

Ipod classic with 400 gig sdxc card conversion and big ole battery. It gets a good 8 hours a day every day at work.

In my main setup, the Naim 552 preamp and EMT JSD-6 cartridge delivered the biggest step change improvements.

In my office setup, have been really happy with a vintage Sansui Eight.

Lastly, the Chord Mojo has lifted the sound quality of my Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Rega Aethos amp.Just gets on with the job and sounds very transparent loads of power on tap.Love the Styling and those sexy curves on the casework.

Magneplanner 1.7 i's just so natural sounding and transparent.They just vanish with your eyes shut.Amazing VFM.

Rega P6/Atom/Tannoy Cheviots, current system, is the best sounding system I've owned. The only thing I would add would be my old Beogram 4002 which just looked and sounded fab..

TT: 1) Well Tempered Amadeus; 2) Oracle Delphi MK II; 3) Pink Triangle PT1; 4) Rega P8; 5) Linn LP12 (pre-Cirkus); 6) Rega RP6; 7) Funk Firm Vector; 8) Michell Gyrodec SE.
Arm: 1) SME IV; 2) SME M2; 3) Origin Live Silver; 4) Audio Origami modified RB250; 5) Linn Ittok; 6) Roksan Nima.
Cartridge: 1) Lyra Argo/Dorian/Delos; 2) Decca London Gold; 3) Linn Troika; 4) Rega Apheta; 5) Dynavector DV Karat 17; 6) AT33 PTG.
CDP: 1) Naim CD2X; 2) Rega Apollo-R; 3) Naim CD5X; 4) Arcam CD72.
Tube Amplifier: 1) Audio Note OTO SE; 2) Leben CS300; 3) Tube Technology Unisys; 4) CR Developments Kalypso; 5) Croft Phono Integrated.
SS Amplifier: 1) LFD Zero LE MKIV; 2) Lavardin IS; 3) Densen DM10; 4) EWA Claymore; 5) Exposure 2010S2; 6) Rega Elex-R.
Phono Stage: 1) Tom Evans The Groove; 2) Rega Aria; 3) Whest Audio Two; 4) Dynavector P75; 5) Graham Slee Reflex; 6) Croft Phono; 7) Sonneteer Sedley; 8) NVA PH2; 9) Longdog Audio PH1.
Speakers (planar): 1) Audiostatic ES300; 2) Quad ESL 57; 3) Quad ESL 63; 4) Magneplanar MG1.7.
Speakers (dynamic): 1) Audio Note AN-J; 2) Tannoy Eaton; 3) Naim SBL; 4) Naim IBL; 5) Guru Audio QM10; 6) Klipsch Heresy III; 7) Harbeth Monitor 30.

Not the best sounding ever, but the ones I have had most frequent enjoyment from (as in they were used daily) are Boenicke W5 speakers and a Meridian 504 tuner.

I guess that it has to be:

LP12, Onix OA20, Rega ELA (mk 1)

All still in use after about thirty five years (LP12 and Ela's still in main system).
If I had to choose between them, it would be be the Ela's - I live in fear of them "dying", whether or not they have been "outclassed" (although I doubt it) we have grown old together :)

Linn LP12/Ekos 2/Armageddon - owned it for about 20 years before upgrades killed it
Exposure 21/4DR - owned for about 25 years, replaced with newer amps, Exposure and others. The newer ones probably sound better but I loved these amps at the time
Meridian 506 - the most satisfying CD player I ever owned. Again, upgrading to the 506.20 and then 508 were backward moves
Epos ES14 - owned for too short a period

Everything I have now sounds much better, but I don't think I will ever enjoy a hifi system as much as I did the one above.

Different components typically provide very different levels of accuracy. Many amplifiers and DACs are all but transparent, whereas speakers and turntables normally fall quite far short of transparency.

I don't know if allowed, but I'm going to say that the product which has most profoundly improved my system is the tone-arm which I developed. It has transformed the accuracy of my Amadeus, my Garrard 301s, my Technics SL-1210, my Linn Sondek and my cartridges. For the first time I've heard my decks blithely sail through torture tests on opera or very hot pressings with an almost digital accuracy. With some fairly common cartridges it can just about track the fourth Hifi News tracking test, which I think does give a little insight into the performance available at the most difficult peaks of many records. The stability, dynamics, revelation of detail and acoustics, separation of tones and instruments during complex compositions, access to harmonies, width, focus and depth of soundstage, and sense of physical presence are all unprecedented in my system.

Of course, I have no credibility in saying this about a product which I myself offer, but comments from others which are beginning to appear on the forums suggest I'm not alone. Several users seem to agree that their decks are reaching new levels of performance.

I could have appeared more honest if I had chosen a product other than my own, which would have been one of Creek OBH-22, active Linn 242s, Well Tempered Amadeus.

advertisement

Back