advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 45rpm ones do seem to sound very good, which possibly makes up for the up-and-down dance they make us do flipping them over so much ;)

Incidentally, why was that Coltrane Live At Birdland not reissued very much? I have a Jasmine copy too, but I’d happily pay for a nice new copy.
There were quite a few if you count the CD’s as well, some that have the extra track Villia, I think Discogs lists 82. I take your point though as I would have sooner AS Verve reissued this Live Coltrane one rather The Village Vanguard one. I passed on that as my MCA pressing is quite good if not the best. OK not all the tracks are live on this only the first three. The Jasmin one is OK, but I’m sure there is more to be had depending on which master-tape still exists and the condition.

This contains some of Coltrane’s best compositions and playing and really brings out the spiritual depth of his playing as well giving particular insights into his transition from his earlier style to his much freer approach.

I always find ‘Alabama’, his tribute the children killed in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing so moving when I play this, full of sadness and yet with a sense of yearning for a better future. All the studio tracks are excellent.

I would love a top rate mastering and pressing.

The posthumous issued ‘Transition’ that is not often reissued in its original track version is one I would like to see a good reissue of as well.

Todays selection

Screenshot-2022-01-24-at-19-38-14.png

I started listening to a bit of instrumental folk (Tasker: Cold Weather) and looking at the sellers other items ended up just buying the above. At least I’m down with the kids now! What with this and TrioVD Muse I’m deffo into my second childhood…

ZWc.jpeg

One of the first Windham Hill releases (CD) I bought. ISTR it was in the sales section - had to buy it on the strength of the cover (along with the WH sampler '86). Features a few guests, such as Mike Hedges on this:

Now got a pretty decent UK original, not bad for £3 :) Warner Bros. Records – K56628. LP, 1979.

Vinyl
I have that one plus the Nimbus pressing. I have quite a few of hers on either vinyl or CD’s and most are very good recordings. My favourite is still ‘A Girl At Her Volcano’. I did have a really lovely Japanese pressing of that, that was stolen years ago with some other records in a break in at my previous house. Obviously a discerning thief though as it was nearly all Japanese or Audiophile pressings he stole. So I only have the standard AGAHV now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back