advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Well done on the early rise for parkrun Robs, I did get to one on Xmas day but not today.
Congrats on the Marcothon JTC, certainly burns the calories off pre-Xmas.
The Barca marathon have inconveniently moved the date from April to May so I wasn't too impressed having just paid £80 to move the holiday. One consolation is that they have moved their top notch half marathon to the weekend we are going, so at least I get to race something. This assumes we can actually get to Spain in April of course!

I realised to my surprise in early December that I had a fighting chance of running 3000 miles for the year. Almost derailed by a tweaked hamstring 2 weeks ago though I did manage to get back running after a few days rest & treatment. I had to run 40 miles in 4 days this week to get back on track. 5m yesterday was a final flourish as it took me to 3001 miles for the year. Never managed this before so it was a good excuse for an extra glass of bubbly last night.

This weather is bonkers, t-shirt & shorts 3 days on the trot!

Wine Man, that is humongous! 3000 miles.... Bonkers!!!
Huge respect.:eek::eek::eek:
Hopefully travel will be easier by April, fingers crossed.

Lordy, last night my eldest daughter said she would come along with me this morning, but I knocked on her bedroom door this morning and she was out for the count, having been out partying...no chance!! Well done on getting your little'un round!

If it is warm and dry tomorrow, I might even chance t-shirt and shorts and a trot...!! Only a couple of days until work beckons...:(

NYD 5k this morning - feeling a little under the weather but posted 20:10 - was hoping for under 20 but not to be on this occasion. Still, good to get out.

Wine man - 3000 miles - wow - Im pleased if I do that on the bike, never mind running.

@robs - maybe I'll make it to the Horsham park run again this year and we can meet up again. I haven't visited family in England since 2019 due to Covid, but hopefully this summer.
The chances of me getting my daughter (20) out for park run are somewhere between slim and none :(.

Just replaced my very worn ASICS road shoes. What a difference; the new ones feel much stiffer than the old. I haven't kept detailed records, but they have been on rotation for about two years, so I guess the old ones might have done over 1000 miles. Weirdly, the uppers look near new, and the soles still have a fair amount of grip, but the mid-sole had gone soft and dead.

Don't try this at home, I have been lucky to get away without injury.

Sounds like a plan sean99!

I've been out a fair bit in the last 2-3 weeks compared with usual - NY and all that. Did a nice flat half on the Sunday before last which was good and not too painful, still got the legs it seems! And Parkruns too, improving slowly.

PigletsDad - new boots makes a big difference, especially if you've had them a while or high miles! I replaced my Kayanos a few weeks ago (for identical ones, same model year) and made a big difference. I'd done about 750km (470 miles) on the old ones.
Have just recently also got a pair of Saucony's which feel different again, rolling forward a lot more than the Kayanos. Was worried that the different style would end up hurting something, but seems fine.

hi all

I’m still out there doing it . Think I’ve done about 25 miles this week. Lots of runners around at the moment . Must be new year or something .

Parkrun this morning, with the new Saucony booties on.
Fastest time for two years, and took 40secs off last week's time, so well chuffed. Huffing and puffing like a steam train - legs were good but lungs on the limit! Getting out a little more in the last few weeks certainly seems to be helping.
Gotta keep it up...

...but the six nations is rapidly approaching, which means the three R training regime kicks in for a few weeks - Rest, Rehydration :cool: and (watching) Rugby...

Reactions: MJS
****ing hate running I do.

My favorite quote from my triathlon training book (which I really don't pay enough attention to).

"If swimming is the reason that there are not more triathletes then running is the reason that there are not more runners".

Running is just f***n hard work. Builds tremendous endurance though. All of my friends who've been marathon training are kicking my arse in the triathlons.

Out for another trot this morning and for sure it was *^ hard work. Felt like wooden legs and I was carrying a backpack. Think yesterday's Parkrun took it out of me. Time for a rest.

I’ve got ITB syndrome. Gonna have to rest up for a week or two. It’s not severe but it is definitely getting steadily worse, so a short break (and rolling/massage/stretching) might be the ‘ounce of prevention’ I need…

I’ve got ITB syndrome. Gonna have to rest up for a week or two. It’s not severe but it is definitely getting steadily worse, so a short break (and rolling/massage/stretching) might be the ‘ounce of prevention’ I need…

Sorry to hear that. I had problems for about 3-4 months last year, but the stretches I mentioned here really helped.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/the-runners-thread-part-ii.219950/page-58#post-4531411

I was fortunate that cycling was unaffected (and, of course swimming) so I was able to keep exercising. I'm very careful not to overdo the running now.

Reactions: JTC
Half way through training for a half marathon and I've managed to flare up an old knee injury. Apparently the back of my patella is rubbing on my thigh bone (chondromalacia patellae) - signed up for some physio now so hopefully that will put me back on the straight and narrow but for now running is off the cards :eek:(

Half way through training for a half marathon and I've managed to flare up an old knee injury. Apparently the back of my patella is rubbing on my thigh bone (chondromalacia patellae) - signed up for some physio now so hopefully that will put me back on the straight and narrow but for now running is off the cards :eek:(

I have had that, including shortly before doing an Ultra. Follow your physio's advice, but you may be able to recover pretty quickly.

Corrective exercises to develop the vastus medialis muscle can really help, as can taping and/or a brace. I went from having to hold the banisters when going downstairs to finishing a 33 mile race as second in my age group in about 4 weeks. Avoid running downhill when you restart. In the race, most people I saw ran downhill, jogged the flat bits and walked uphill. I walked downhill, jogged the flat bits and jogged uphill.

Mind you, I was also last finisher in my age group, although I think three others were DNF!

advertisement

Back