advertisement

Do you consider power/energy usage when selecting a new kit?

Funnily enough even before the last energy price increase, the trendy venganistas fronting the challenges of global warming, and the carbon footprint of the 21st century, I had become rather conscious of how much 'fuel' was required in the tank for a decent sounding system - hence a move towards class D/energy efficient products over the last 12-18 months. When we buy anything; kettle/washing machines/TV etc, one of the first elements of the spec I look for is the power usage....

How many PFM'er look at this as a prerequisite when selecting new kit, and if the majority do/will do, do you think this will naturally guide the market and future production directives to low energy products?

Or have I become my dad, you know.... the guy who walks around the house, hands behind his back switching all the lights off, tutting and mumbling on about energy bills.

Funnily enough even before the last energy price increase, the trendy venganistas fronting the challenges of global warming, and the carbon footprint of the 21st century, I had become rather conscious of how much 'fuel' was required in the tank for a decent sounding system - hence a move towards class D/energy efficient products over the last 12-18 months. When we buy anything; kettle/washing machines/TV etc, one of the first elements of the spec I look for is the power usage....

How many PFM'er look at this as a prerequisite when selecting new kit, and if the majority do/will do, do you think this will naturally guide the market and future production directives to low energy products?

Or have I become my dad, you know.... the guy who walks around the house, hands behind his back switching all the lights off, tutting and mumbling on about energy bills.

Yes you have

Tried 'Class D' not for me, yet.

I switch my amps off when not in use but other than that, I have no intention to greener re. Hifi.

When shops and offices all have stopped leaving lights on during nights/non-use I may change my mind.

Same, tried class D probs 15 years ago first time. Wasn’t till I found a well implemented pascal module in the Aavik U-300 that I started feeling convinced. The BelCanto ACI-600 is also awesome. The D&D 8c use Pascal amps too.

Tried 'Class D' not for me, yet.

I switch my amps off when not in use but other than that, I have no intention to greener re. Hifi.

When shops and offices all have stopped leaving lights on during nights/non-use I may change my mind.
So you will just leave it to someone else? If everyone does that nothing will change. Disappointing.
I am planning to buy a Townshend Allegri + AVC (no power at all) and have changed my power amp from an Icon MB90 back to a Parasound A21, which turns off after 5 minutes of no signal.
I have always turned lights off when not in use (Why wouldn't you? Laziness? They are all LED now anyway), and I am starting to turn down the radiators in rooms we don't use all the time.

So you will just leave it to someone else? If everyone does that nothing will change. Disappointing.
I am planning to buy a Townshend Allegri + AVC (no power at all) and have changed my power amp from an Icon MB90 back to a Parasound A21, which turns off after 5 minutes of no signal.
I have always turned lights off when not in use (Why wouldn't you? Laziness? They are all LED now anyway), and I am starting to turn down the radiators in rooms we don't use all the time.

Sure, I don't waste energy where not needed but Hifi energy wastage is minute in the greater scheme of things. It would certainly not influence my choice of product.

I think once you're paying the bills you automatically become more conscious of unnecessary waste, this happens mostly when you get your own place and the kids leave the lights on or worse an immersion heater :eek: either that or you've too much money and not enough sense,

Well I’ve been living in my own abode for well over 25 years, paying bills isn’t a new concept. I just wasn’t overly bothered up until the last 3 years or so.

Not even nearly.

Oh and that pointless little display that goes with the smart electricity meter, you know, the one that tells me yesterday was one pound ten pence and today is 85p so far, never see's the light of day.

Everything else, yes. Hifi, no. However, I turn everything off when not in use. Sometimes I forget to turn the subwoofer off and only realise it's still switched on after several hours or on the next day. That's about it.

Reactions: RoA
For my hi-fi, I stick to class A/B because of sound quality. I turn them off when not in use except for my Classe Audio and Treshold preamps as they take very long to warm up and sound great. They are really not power hungry though.
I make more efforts on savings on heating the house and try not to use the car as much as I used to do before.

To some degree - yes. Class D with SM PSU about 7 yrs ago. Partly undone by the recent purchase of an LG 55OLEDG1.

My prime objective buying HiFi will always be SQ and never based on power usage. This is not because I am wasteful or blind to the environmental impacts of our energy usage but my HiFi’s main purpose is to replay music at the best possible quality. I was conscious of my power usage circa 4 years ago as had 4 Meridian 557’s in my system which were never turned off in approx. 15 years. I have since sold them all and moved to class D and am more than happy with the SQ.

I don’t leave my kit on unattended let alone 24/7, so don’t think about it really, especially given I use such sustainable snd serviceable kit that won’t end up in landfill. I’m way more concerned about things like the LCD TV which has a finite life and will inevitably end up as a large amount of plastic and ewaste in under a decade. I pick hi-fi very carefully and don’t touch anything that won’t last. The power consumption is trivial, even a few hours listening to the Pass class A amp or vintage valves is only pennies. We were spending more on incandescent lightbulbs a few years back.

advertisement

Back