advertisement

Cartridges Hana vs Rega for P6

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Anyone compared hana ml/mh to rega Ania pro?

not much difference in price now with recent price rises.

additional question, how much difference between mh and ml? Currently use the exposure MM card in my exposure 3020S2D amp , would need to change to the mc card for the hana ml cart.

Haven't heard any of them, however, you'd have to factor in changing to the MC card (or an external MC stage) for Ania Pro too.

The Exposure MC card can be adjusted for both optimal gain and a wide range of impedance loading settings between 100 to 1500Ω. For reference, Rega MCs have an output level of 0.35mV and are recommended to be loaded with 100Ω. The Hana ML is quite similar with >100Ω input loading recommended and an output level of 0.4mV, all of which the Exposure MC card can accommodate.

On the other hand, if you do decide to dip your toe into the MC waters via the high output Hana MH, your existing Exposure MM card can be adjusted to match this cartridges 2mV output via removal of J1 (2.5mV input sensitivity); there will be but a mere 3dB noise penalty for this. The fixed 47kΩ is what HOMC are spec'd for.

I think if you're spending around £1k on the cart, then it's probably advisable to go full-on MC and go the low output route. IME high output MCs can be great (I started with the DV 10x5) but you'll probably not get all the subtlety and grace a MC cart can bring, from the high output option. That might be down to the cart, or the phono stage, which isn't really optimised for the type of output the HOMC feeds it.

I think if you're spending around £1k on the cart, then it's probably advisable to go full-on MC and go the low output route. IME high output MCs can be great (I started with the DV 10x5) but you'll probably not get all the subtlety and grace a MC cart can bring, from the high output option. That might be down to the cart, or the phono stage, which isn't really optimised for the type of output the HOMC feeds it.
I’d second that, a LOMC + second hand external phono stage would be what I’d look into.

Don’t know the Rega cart, prefered a DV 20XL to the Hana, found the couple I’ve tried too smooth sounding but read many folk like them a lot and it depends on other factors like phono stage/settings.

Years ago Linn made a big deal about system and turntable hierarchy and I think they were largely correct. At one time their dealers demonstrated the superiority of an Ekos/Basic cartridge over the Ittok/Troika, I heard that myself and I've found this rule to be true in my own system.

Right now I'm running an LP12 with a Stack Audio sub-chassis, an RB3000 arm and a Rega Exact and it's the nicest turntable I've ever had. That includes an LP12/Ittok/Troika and other MC carts and an RP10 too.

Yes, I'm sure fitting a MC can improve things but remember that it's an ongoing expense. It will wear out and need replaced. Upgrade the deck itself with a decent but cheaper cartridge and I think you'll get a fundamentally better sound with lower running costs.

Also, moving magnet to moving coil isn't always a linear upgrade. Everyone gets exited about the extra detail and air a MC can give you but you often lose the punch and solidity of MM. It's not an automatic case of one being better than the other, especially at the low end of MC and high end of MM.

I would not put a grands worth of cartridge on a P6. More once you factor the phono stage you'll need. Yip, it'll work but personally I'd put the cash into a better deck because that'll work better.

Last edited:
I've not heard the Hanas, but I'm running an Ania Pro into my P6. Very, very pleased with it.

You also get to have the VTA bang on, and perfect-alignment thing with the third headshell screw.

Hana ML user here.

Its a really lovely cartridge.Tracks superbly and its got a really airy top end.The midrange just vanishes and it does bass lines nicely.Soundstage and separatation are very very good.
You might have to wait a while to get one.I waited about 2 months for mine as global demand for them was quite high.
There's loads of reviews on the net on the ML.
Lots of great cartridges in that price range out there.Lyras - Dynavector - The Rega's - Linn Krystal.

Hana ML user here.

Its a really lovely cartridge.Tracks superbly and its got a really airy top end.The midrange just vanishes and it does bass lines nicely.Soundstage and separatation are very very good.
You might have to wait a while to get one.I waited about 2 months for mine as global demand for them was quite high.
There's loads of reviews on the net on the ML.
Lots of great cartridges in that price range out there.Lyras - Dynavector - The Rega's - Linn Krystal.
Yup, that’s my experience too. Love my Hana ML.

A Hana ML replaced a Lyra Kleos on my TT, and I'm more than delighted with it. Probably best VFM LOMC available.

A Hana ML replaced a Lyra Kleos on my TT, and I'm more than delighted with it. Probably best VFM LOMC available.
That’s food for thought, I had the Kleos SL down as a possible next upgrade, getting demos of different carts isn’t easy these days so reviews/forum opinions are useful.

I've not heard the Hanas, but I'm running an Ania Pro into my P6. Very, very pleased with it.

You also get to have the VTA bang on, and perfect-alignment thing with the third headshell screw.

Literally three minutes after I wrote this, I went to cue up and snicked the cantilever with my finger. It may be a write-off, but I'll see what my dealer/Rega can do.

Literally three minutes after I wrote this, I went to cue up and snicked the cantilever with my finger. It may be a write-off, but I'll see what my dealer/Rega can do.

Oops, sorry to hear that but at least Rega offer a good rebuild service.

OOPs!! Sorry to hear that Tim... The stylus does look awfully exposed on those.

Thanks Jez. In 35 years of owning reasonably expensive carts, that has never happened to me before, and (even more galling) there was no pilot-intoxication of any kind involved.

The cantilever does protrude a little, hence the little guard that Rega put on it. Just perhaps not far enough....

I love my Hana ML on the P6.

I have not tried the Rega carts to compare but it replaced a Dynavector XX-2 - I prefer the Hana sound signature but both are great.

Thanks Jez. In 35 years of owning reasonably expensive carts, that has never happened to me before, and (even more galling) there was no pilot-intoxication of any kind involved.

The cantilever does protrude a little, hence the little guard that Rega put on it. Just perhaps not far enough....
A fully exposed cantilever is one of the reasons I feel somewhat uncomfortable with the Lyra Kleos, particularly on a wibbly wobbly ARO tonearm.

advertisement

Back