advertisement

Speaker recommendations for a 300B SET amplifier - small room

Yivez

I am looking for recommendations for a speaker suitable for a 300B SET amplifier (9W) that can work 6ft(1.8m) from my listening position and can't be more than 50cm from the front wall. The speakers are positioned just over 2m apart, and there is over a meter distance from sidewalls.

I tend to like bookshelf speakers or speakers with a small footprint. However, they need circa 90dB or more to get the best from the system in terms of sensitivity. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices. Am I chasing rainbows?

Happy to buy second-hand or new and budget is up to £4k.

Your help is much appreciated.

300B amps work best with efficient speakers. Unfortunately, that is hard to properly achieve with small boxes and I, personally, would rethink your amplifier choices given your room.

Tannoy used to do a little speaker. Can't remember what is was called.

Autograph Mini but it's not 90db. I used them with a 12 watt Leben cs300 but dont know if they would work with this amp. Very fine little speaker it is though

You might also consider the AN J - It has significantly deeper bass and more dynamic ease. Can be placed right up against the wall as well and about 3dB more sensitive.

They really aren't that much bigger - it will depend on the room interaction. (K,J, E)

1d1eadd9dce7e6401d2171f0e0a1e3c75af6c195.jpeg

I love the K - Owned a set in 2003 and own a pair again today along with the E and AX Two.

I also had the J/SPe for 13 years.

Shove em into corners if you have them available

0316GEARroom_0.jpeg

(Gearbox Records)

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't considered the AN-J's (size) but looking at the image they are not much bigger but with greater sensitivity and frequency response.

I am looking for recommendations for a speaker suitable for a 300B SET amplifier (9W) that can work 6ft(1.8m) from my listening position and can't be more than 50cm from the front wall. The speakers are positioned just over 2m apart, and there is over a meter distance from sidewalls.

I’ve had good luck with an even lower powered 45 based single ended amp with the Dynaudio Emit 10 and the Proac Tablette. The Audio Note K is larger but surely a nice choice at a higher price. The DeVore bookshelf model would likely work and is very nice. The K and Tablette are both sealed so they might work closer to the wall. Mine work well in a small bedroom. Good luck.

Klipsch Heresy? Tannoy Eaton? Living Voice? It's not exactly easy to find small speakers that are very sensitive but perhaps some larger sensitive speakers will work in a smaller room?

In my experience LV won't work with flea powered amps. I had a 16w 845 and the OBX R2s were a poor match.

Triangles tend to have higher sensitivity and in my experience work well with valves, but I've only used smaller bookshelves such as Cometes, although the Titus is often recommended.

advertisement

Back