advertisement

Roger Waters

I have mixed feelings. I find him a loathsome individual, and certainly do not agree with his take on the world. Fortunately, I'm able to separate the artist from the art.

I love Pros & Cons, Radio KAOS and heck, my favourite of all, The Final Cut (which let's be honest, is a Waters solo album). Can't explain why, I just do.

And The Wall Live was the most spectacular thing I have ever witnessed in my life. Mind blowing.

I have mixed feelings. I find him a loathsome individual, and certainly do not agree with his take on the world. Fortunately, I'm able to separate the artist from the art.

I love Pros & Cons, Radio KAOS and heck, my favourite of all, The Final Cut (which let's be honest, is a Waters solo album). Can't explain why, I just do.

And The Wall Live was the most spectacular thing I have ever witnessed in my life. Mind blowing.
I could have written that!

Must revisit his solo albums. Love his contributions with the Floyd up until The Wall and I applaud writers who however imperfectly use their exalted position to seek justice for oppressed peoples and highlight political issues. We may not agree with them but I feel they have every right to draw attention to what they consider to be injustice. After all there are so many powerful forces in the world that seek to defend, perpetuate or shroud injustice.

It was also lovely to see him looking joyous and humble during the Live 8 reunion but saddens me that he continues to stoke the antagonism with DG. I also find his self promotion as "the creative genius behind Pink Floyd" ugly. His bass playing is nothing spectacular but just perfect for Floyd with a lovely tone, I feel that what I've heard of post Waters Floyd sounds wrong without it even though Guy Pratt is an amazing bass player.

I saw him play with Floyd a couple of times and agree that The Wall was an amazing spectacle live. However I saw his band play at Glastonbury a few years ago and felt the quality of the music really dropped when they transitioned from Floyd to his solo works, but will revisit these.

Maybe but I don't get why grown men moan on about them and their music - you don't have to listen to them.

Grumpy old men? There's lots of moaning and general negativity on PFM everyday encompassing every aspect of life, politics, hifi, music, etc, etc.
Okay, not everyone is like that and I personally try to refrain from making any negative comments or voicing negative opinions but sometimes my observations can have a negative tone.

Back to Waters, I personally think he is or was the songwriting 'genius' of Pink Floyd and perhaps always a bit 'political', certainly songs like 'Have a cigar' , 'Welcome to the Machine' , Us and Them have a political slant and fairly obvious I would of thought 'Animals'.
I view 'The Wall', 'Pros and Cons' and The Final Cut as an autobiographical trilogy and probably my favourite 'Floyd/Waters albums. Radio Kaos being somewhat of a departure from the previous work and more of a concept or story.
Then we have 'Amused to Death' which takes it's theme from Neil Postman's book 'Amusing Ourselves to Death' , when discussing George Orwells '1984' Postman debated that 'Aldous Huxleys 'Brave new World' was a more accurate reflection of modern life were society had become oppressed by addiction to amusement rather than Orwells state control. I think Waters Amused to Death sums this up nicely in 70 odd minutes of music, it's also a fantastic recording and production, definitely one of my 'references' for checking out a hifi components capability.
The latest album 'Is this the life' I thought a bit samey on first listening but it has grown on me.

Roger Waters is bit of a guilty pleasure for me- love Pros and Cons, Final Cut, Amused to Death and Is This The Life We Really Want, although not too keen on Kaos.

He's like marmite. With Rogers and Gilmour it was spread thin with butter and tasted great. Alone it's just too much marmite.

It's a shame that Flickering Flame was never released on vinyl. It's an odd collection for sure, but there are a couple of non-album tracks on there that I really love, like Flickering Flame and Towers of Faith

I think waters is a music maker of the highest degree, BUT, i do have a cd of waters called, Music from the body, its probably the shiti-est, cd ever made, i can't even give it away, truly shocking, we should send it round the fishies and see what you all think, has anyone else heard ,or got this ,:eek:
on a side not Keiron 99, you might have to change your avatar, to much of a good thing :D playing Hemispheres now,

I think waters is a music maker of the highest degree, BUT, i do have a cd of waters called, Music from the body, its probably the shiti-est, cd ever made, i can't even give it away, truly shocking, we should send it round the fishies and see what you all think, has anyone else heard ,or got this ,:eek:
on a side not Keiron 99, you might have to change your avatar, to much of a good thing :D

Yep, I have the LP, utter rubbish :confused:

on a side not Keiron 99, you might have to change your avatar, to much of a good thing :D playing Hemispheres now,

If you consider it a Ron Geesin album (which it is, really), it's comparable to his "A Raise of Eyebrows" but you either get Ron's dense of humour or you don't. I'd certainly listen to it in preference to any of Roger's solo whinge-a-thons.

Well throw me a cd and i will buy it ov ron's, got it 1967,
will let you know,
but not tonight ,playing rainbow on stage, at the mo,

advertisement

Back