advertisement

REL sub with Linn Kairn/LK140 set up advice needed

Nye Samuel

Herr Katze
Hi...I am about to plumb in a REL T Zero subwoofer using the high level lead.

The instructions are clear: red to right positive, yellow to left positive and black to either negative.

However the Kairn inverses the phase...so when I connect my speaker cables to the LK140 to correct the phase inversion...black banana plug to red socket and red banana plug to black socket.

So which socket do the REL banana plugs go?...Red/Yellow (REL) to red (LK140) and black (REL) to black (LK140) or Red/Yellow (REL) to black (LK140) and black (REL) to red (LK140).

Any advice would be appreciated.

I’d connect it the “normal” way, ie black to black, I’m unsure exactly how the high level in is wired internally but if the black/negatives are summed internally, you’ll short the channels of the LK140 together if you connect the sub in reverse polarity. You should be able to invert the phase on the sub which will deal with with the phase issue.

I’d connect it the “normal” way, ie black to black, I’m unsure exactly how the high level in is wired internally but if the black/negatives are summed internally, you’ll short the channels of the LK140 together if you connect the sub in reverse polarity. You should be able to invert the phase on the sub which will deal with with the phase issue.
There’s a 0/180 phase invert bottom rear toggle switch.

There’s a 0/180 phase invert bottom rear toggle switch.
Yep, use that, connect the speaker plugs the conventional way. There is a very real possibility of damaging the LK140 if you reverse the leads into a high level input on a sub. The black/negative/ground connections on/in the sub will more than likely be common (ie, connected together).

The speaker leads are inverted...so red to black and black to red...but the REL banana plugs should remain red/yellow to red and black to black?

Yes, that’s right, don’t try it the other way round, you could damage the amp. You can use the phase invert switch on the sub to correct the phase.

Yes, that’s right, don’t try it the other way round, you could damage the amp. You can use the phase invert switch on the sub to correct the phase.

So (apologies for repeating myself)...I should invert the speaker cables BUT not the REL cables...Is that correct?

REL recommended to me that I stack the banana plugs...REL banana plus first and then speaker banana plugs....or in the circumstances use the second row of speaker outlets for the REL banana plugs?

Yes that’s correct, invert the speakers but NOT the REL.

And yes, use one row for the speakers and the other for the REL, that makes absolutely sense.

on Flickr

This is how REL suggested I wired it up...but I forgot that the Kairn inverters the phasing....so should I do this or get BFA plugs and use the speaker outputs that I am not using?

That’ll work… looks confusing but I can see why you’re stacked the plugs (only one set of BFA adapters).

Just remember to invert the phase using the switch on the sub, otherwise you’ll get cancellation at the overlapping frequencies.

That’ll work… looks confusing but I can see why you’re stacked the plugs (only one set of BFA adapters).

I am a bit concerned that something could go wrong with this set up.... wondering if I should get another set of plugs and use the lower row of speaker outputs conventionally?

I am a bit concerned that something could go wrong with this set up.... wondering if I should get another set of plugs and use the lower row of speaker outputs conventionally?
It’ll work as is, but would be neater with a second set of BFA adapters and the sub connected to the bottom row, less strain on the speaker sockets too.

advertisement

Back