advertisement

exactly, contrary to some brands whose speakers you rave about - B&W for example.

btw you may win a prize, NASA is apparently scientifically looking for a human being who heard nautilus sounding good.

I don't rave about B&W speakers. They've made good ones in the past, but that was ages ago. In fact, one of the worst speakers I ever owned were the B&W 802S3s.

I don't rave about B&W speakers. They've made good ones in the past, but that was ages ago. In fact, one of the worst speakers I ever owned were the B&W 802S3s.

Have you ever owned a speaker that you eventually liked? What methodology you use when choosing what you pay for?

Have you ever owned a speaker that you eventually liked? What methodology you use when choosing what you pay for?

I was sorry about having to sell the SP9/1s when I moved abroad...
I use measurements for shortlisting (saves time), and then I listen.

Can't you accept that we don't all have the same tastes? You clearly have lots of experience of different systems, but why diss what other people have just said they like?

Who dissed who first? Go back. There was no reason for him to comment. I don't judge stuff based on an audio show experience. A lot of quite excellent gear has sounded pretty awful at audio shows - including the stuff I own and like. Soundlab turned up at a show and they booked the wrong room - a tiny room for their massive speakers and they sounded awful. Stuff happens.

Cråp amplification won't help.

That's a fair point - maybe the amplification is the culprit. But then a company that sells $50,000 Vivid Audio Loudspeakers should then tell the dealer (demand the dealer) show his goods with amps that will make his speakers sound "the best" that they can sound - or better yet hire someone to design Vivid Audio Amplifiers. So either Vivid Audio is happy with D'Agostino/Formerly Krell or they don't care because they're selling a fashion design product.

At the California Audio Show Vivid CHOSE Aesthetix as their front end - it sounded a lot better but then it was the Giya G2 and the CD player was Aesthetix Romulus, a Vacuum Tube CD Player ($7k) - Once again they choose what goes on their speakers - or they don't care. If they don't care then why hand over your money? And if they are making the choices and you think their choice is "crap" then why are you handing money over to people with bad ears?

Im sure Dan D'Agostino (the tons of time and money spent on R&D) would be super thrilled to hear "bloke from the internet" refer to his product as crap!
Hyperbole gets us all - I have not liked Krell and I have not liked D'Agostino but I would not say the build quality is poor - it appears rather good inside and out and if you somewhat ignore the price and you don't bother with blind testing - We should probably say "not my cup of tea" instead of "crap" but in the end, it's the same thing as, "I would not buy one of those."

Please, tell us again about how your opinion and exposure to the expensive, but poorly measuring end of the market means anyone with a different opinion or a preference for neutral sounding and measuring kit is wrong, its super enlightening.

D'Agostino amps are poorly measuring? Badly built? I dunno, just asking.

I've heard his amps in crap sounding systems but also in one of the best (I've ever heard, for relatively reasonable money) with Kuzma analog feed and Franko Serblin Ktema speakers (which I've also heard sounding crap with other amps). So I doubt the amps are bad.

That's a fair point - maybe the amplification is the culprit. But then a company that sells $50,000 Vivid Audio Loudspeakers should then tell the dealer (demand the dealer) show his goods with amps that will make his speakers sound "the best" that they can sound - or better yet hire someone to design Vivid Audio Amplifiers. So either Vivid Audio is happy with D'Agostino/Formerly Krell or they don't care because they're selling a fashion design product.

At the California Audio Show Vivid CHOSE Aesthetix as their front end - it sounded a lot better but then it was the Giya G2 and the CD player was Aesthetix Romulus, a Vacuum Tube CD Player ($7k) - Once again they choose what goes on their speakers - or they don't care. If they don't care then why hand over your money? And if they are making the choices and you think their choice is "crap" then why are you handing money over to people with bad ears?

I don't expect much from distributors, and I avoid reviews like the plague.

D'Agostino amps are poorly measuring? Badly built? I dunno, just asking.

I've heard his amps in crap sounding systems but also in one of the best (I've ever heard, for relatively reasonable money) with Kuzma analog feed and Franko Serblin Ktema speakers (which I've also heard sounding crap with other amps). So I doubt the amps are bad.

Sounding good to me or you does not necessarily equate to high technical performance. Some prefer accuracy, others euphony, many are somewhere in between.

Preference - "sounds good to me" - must not be confused with performance (the accurate reproduction of the recorded signal).
And loogically, performance/accuracy cannot (easily and effectively) be judged through listening, it needs to be measured and complemented by critical, objective listening by trained listeners.

Sounding good to me or you does not necessarily equate to high technical performance. Some prefer accuracy, others euphony, many are somewhere in between.

Preference - "sounds good to me" - must not be confused with performance (the accurate reproduction of the recorded signal).
Logically performance/accuracy cannot (easily and effectively) be judged through listening.

I agree but are they poorly measuring and badly built?

advertisement

Back