advertisement

Payment from abroad…advice please.

The fees are pennies which is why I used them, my bank charges about £50 to send money abroad and you have to go into the branch and fill out a form too.
Indeed. And maybe you should use a better bank - I haven't been to a bank counter for about 12 years. I can send to anywhere with ebanking if I know the IBAN (not that I do because of the fees).

Indeed. And maybe you should use a better bank - I haven't been to a bank counter for about 12 years. I can send to anywhere with ebanking if I know the IBAN (not that I do because of the fees).

Clydesdale now Virgin been with them for about 35 years can't really change now anyway sending money or receiving money from abroad is super easy you don't need a bank to do that these days.

I rarely every go into the bank now either which is preferable.

Barclays charge £6 a time to receive a foreign currency transfer plus whatever they skim off in exchange rates.

I use Wise and have been really impressed.

Used to use Currencies Direct but their interface and rates aren't great in comparison.

I think it is safe. It's how banking works. Just supply the IBAN and account name.

Sometimes for international payments you also need something called (I think) a BIC or Swift code (which is, in fact, part of the IBAN, but they want it separately....)

I think it is far riskier handing over your credit card details in an online shopping scenario than giving your bank account number to a stranger, local or overseas. There is zero risk that the other party can access your account in any way unless you also send them your online banking credentials (e.g. customer number, PIN, verification details etc.)

I think it is far riskier handing over your credit card details in an online shopping scenario than giving your bank account number to a stranger, local or overseas. There is zero risk that the other party can access your account in any way unless you also send them your online banking credentials (e.g. customer number, PIN, verification details etc.)
Clarkson famously found that to be untrue.

Revolut.

You could just open up a free online account (I think it is pretty much instantly, you'll need to provide ID etc of course) and their exchange rates are basically spot rates with no fees, so any 'charges' would probably be as low as you could get.

I opened up a business account with them, and was much impressed...so then opened a personal account for eBay/garmin pay/samsung pay etc - so only keep a few ££ in there on the basis of 'riskier' transactions.

Revolut.

You could just open up a free online account (I think it is pretty much instantly, you'll need to provide ID etc of course) and their exchange rates are basically spot rates with no fees, so any 'charges' would probably be as low as you could get.

I opened up a business account with them, and was much impressed...so then opened a personal account for eBay/garmin pay/samsung pay etc - so only keep a few ££ in there on the basis of 'riskier' transactions.
I have a Revolut account for when I was working and living abroad and all the follow up sorting out of payments etc.

The reason that I continued to use Wise was that the IBAN for all the Revolut accounts that I could set up was a UK one (22 letters and numbers), albeit in the required currency.

So Revolut was a good place for me to do currency conversions if I needed to (very cheaply), but no good if the sender could not use a UK IBAN (different countries can have a different number of characters (up to 34) in the IBAN).

Sometimes for international payments you also need something called (I think) a BIC or Swift code (which is, in fact, part of the IBAN, but they want it separately....)
BIC/Swift plus account number is the old system that should work everywhere. IBAN combines it all into a single alphanumeric string, and it's the preferred identifier where supported, which is most modern countries. The USA is not a modern country. Singapore probably is.

If you do need to provide a BIC and yours has 8 letters/numbers, the sender may need to pad it with XXX at the end. I found this out the annoying way.

advertisement

Back