advertisement

SL1200G Owners - what cartridge are you using?

I notice a minor disappointing issue with VTA.
I got the thicker old Technics mat and made up plastic spacers for the headshell.
I notice that Audio Origami make plastic spacers....they are very cheap.
http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/for-sale/

It's a good arm. And a much better motor than in the Mk2 version.

A few headshells with Nagaoka JT-80BK , MP-500 , Jico Seto-Hori , Ortofon 2M black LVB , SPU royal N
2nd 1200G wih a Vertere SG Tonearm & Ortofon Verismo

I’m using Audio Technica OC9XML with matching Audio Technica headshell, makes alignment a doddle and much better than the stock Technics headshell.
The only inferior parts of these decks are the headshell and tone arm lift lower device, everything else is perfectly fine. I think the arm is really rather good, better than years gone by.
Oh the other problem is the mains input would be better placed as it’s difficult plugging in the cable without moving the deck.

I’m using Audio Technica OC9XML with matching Audio Technica headshell, makes alignment a doddle and much better than the stock Technics headshell.
The only inferior parts of these decks are the headshell and tone arm lift lower device, everything else is perfectly fine. I think the arm is really rather good, better than years gone by.
Oh the other problem is the mains input would be better placed as it’s difficult plugging in the cable without moving the deck.
The lift is a lot better than the GR. Agree the mains and rca sockets could be easier to get to.

The AT headshells are great, the HS1 for a tenner is a bargain, I like the MG10 a lot when it suits the cart cos it has fixed holes. Splashed out on some Yamamoto and one of those Orsonics last year.

What is the issue with the headshell that I need to worry about?
No idea, appears perfectly decent to me, about £80 for a replacement. If you have an expensive cart it’s kinda expected to swap shells I guess. I have several shells so I can swap around easlily and match what different carts need weight wise. Different materials can make a difference to the sound.

No idea, appears perfectly decent to me, about £80 for a replacement. If you have an expensive cart it’s kinda expected to swap shells I guess. I have several shells so I can swap around easlily and match what different carts need weight wise. Different materials can make a difference to the sound.

I tried several different headshells which made tiny differences but found the original supplied one was best.

What is the issue with the headshell that I need to worry about?

It usable, just a thin cheap headshell. It works, but there’s better out there. I use the AT-LH13H which is designed for the AT cartridge I use. I tried the 15 before but was too heavy to balance the arm.
I use the Soundeck mat, good value for the money and better than the Oyaide I had before (now sold). There’s nothing wrong with the stock mat, apart that it’s too thin for most cartridges to level the arm for VTA.

I tried several different headshells which made tiny differences but found the original supplied one was best.
Like many things in this hobby I find the the differences I read about are usually exaggerated, sometimes hugely compared to what I and mates actually hear. I enjoy messing about though. Also when you swap carts between headshells are you “sure” it is exactly the same alignment - that’ll make a difference if just slightly off.

It usable, just a thin cheap headshell. It works, but there’s better out there. I use the AT-LH13H which is designed for the AT cartridge I use. I tried the 15 before but was too heavy to balance the arm.
I use the Soundeck mat, good value for the money and better than the Oyaide I had before (now sold). There’s nothing wrong with the stock mat, apart that it’s too thin for most cartridges to level the arm for VTA.
I didn’t care for the Oyaide and it was the worst I tried for static, the Funk was better than any other for being immune to static and on a par with the Tenuto. As far as sound can't say there were any eureka moments, I think the Tenuto is a bit better in the low end but that’s maybe cos it cost a wedge and I want to believe :) I put Isonoe feet on the G, when I get round to it I’ll swap them onto the GR.

I didn’t care for the Oyaide and it was the worst I tried for static, the Funk was better than any other for being immune to static and on a par with the Tenuto. As far as sound can't say there were any eureka moments, I think the Tenuto is a bit better in the low end but that’s maybe cos it cost a wedge and I want to believe :) I put Isonoe feet on the G, when I get round to it I’ll swap them onto the GR.

I agree, night and day differences are few and far between. I wanted the Tenoto but the price put me off, then I discovered the Soundeck (a poor man’s Tenuto).
I chose the AT headshell for it’s ease of alignment and set up and suits the cartridge perfectly.

I agree, night and day differences are few and far between. I wanted the Tenoto but the price put me off, then I discovered the Soundeck (a poor man’s Tenuto).
I chose the AT headshell for it’s ease of alignment and set up and suits the cartridge perfectly.
I like the AT shells, have several models, had loads of their carts along with Dynavectors. Must admit I’ve a bit of a fetish for Yamamoto shells though :)

Nothing poor about the Soundeck. It does a great job.

The arm lift on the GR is certainly less enjoyable to use than the damped variety (e.g. the one on my Ittok), but it works just fine if you, er, actually lower the stylus onto the record without letting it drop. It didn't take my long to learn how to do this (!) and in all things which matter, the GR is a spectacularly good deck for the money imo.

advertisement

Back