advertisement

SL1200G Owners - what cartridge are you using?

mikechadwick

pfm Member
I've just setup a new 1200G with an Oyaide head shell & Lyra Delos cartridge. The VTA is higher at the bearing end. I added a spacer which helps but the VTA is still slightly out. Got to say that it all sounds fine but just wondering if a bigger bodied cartridge might be a better fit.

Why not try a different - or additional - mat in the first instance? It might help you to decide whether the VTA is crucial. The Lyra is a great cartridge so it would be a shame to compromise, especially if you're not enamoured with its replacement.

Why not try a different - or additional - mat in the first instance? It might help you to decide whether the VTA is crucial. The Lyra is a great cartridge so it would be a shame to compromise, especially if you're not enamoured with its replacement.
Good call. I'm not using the supplied mat - trying out an Airborne Cork & Rubber mat and a TEAC Washi Sheet has just arrived so I'll add that to the Airborne and see how that goes.

Happy 1200G owner here .

First off you loose a bit of height by moving away from the Techy headshell , they step down a bit at the business end .

Secondly , as nice as it is the tonearm is flawed when it comes to VTA . I just swapped the arm and avoided any VTA issues . I now use a Jelco TK950S with either a Benz Ace or AT750SH .

Happy 1200G owner here .

First off you loose a bit of height by moving away from the Techy headshell , they step down a bit at the business end .

Secondly , as nice as it is the tonearm is flawed when it comes to VTA . I just swapped the arm and avoided any VTA issues . I now use a Jelco TK950S with either a Benz Ace or AT750SH .
I'm thinking of fitting my SME IV but was hoping (unrealistically?) to stick with the Technics arm. Shame Jelco aren't around anymore.

Good call. I'm not using the supplied mat - trying out an Airborne Cork & Rubber mat and a TEAC Washi Sheet has just arrived so I'll add that to the Airborne and see how that goes.
Sorry to go of topic but could I trouble you to measure the diameter of the Washi mat please? I’d like to try one on my Garrard 401 below a glass mat but it has a raised lip it would need to fit within. Cheers

I currently have a Cadenza Bronze on my 1200G. Not sure why some diss the arm it seems perfectly fine to me bearing in mind the overall price of the package. I’ve used various carts, using different mats (stack 2 if needed), headshells and the VTA ring, never had a problem. Next cart likely a Kleos SL unless I upgrade deck.

I currently have a Cadenza Bronze on my 1200G. Not sure why some diss the arm it seems perfectly fine to me bearing in mind the overall price of the package. I’ve used various carts, using different mats (stack 2 if needed), headshells and the VTA ring, never had a problem. Next cart likely a Kleos SL unless I upgrade deck.

What mat is that?

Nagaoka MP-500
Hana SL
Hana ML (current cart).

Have also used a variety of mats, including a Tenuto. Currently back on the stock Technics mat.

The Washi mat sounded great in theory. In practice it stuck to most records with static.

Nagaoka MP-500
Hana SL
Hana ML (current cart).

The Washi mat sounded great in theory. In practice it stuck to most records with static.
That’s exactly why I want to try one to provide a “grippy” interface between the metal platter and the glass mat. Not to mention it would look pretty good below the bronzed glass.

Benz Ref S. Have previously used a Benz Glider which I suspect was just as good.

Also got an Ortofon 2M red PNP which I stick on for hard rock fun.

Sorry to go of topic but could I trouble you to measure the diameter of the Washi mat please? I’d like to try one on my Garrard 401 below a glass mat but it has a raised lip it would need to fit within. Cheers
It's 11.5" diameter

Last edited:
I don't have my SL1200G anymore, but I had an AT0C9 and it fitted perfectly at the base arm height.

My list for future cartridges to use on my GR, was way to long.
I had to revise or shorten it down a bit:

Nagaoka JT-80BK
Garrot P77
Goldring 1042
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Audio Technica AT 150 Sa

advertisement

Back