advertisement

Driving License turnaround time after speeding ticket.

Not as quick as me going down the M4 at 3 in the morning through roadworks with, you guessed it, no bugger doing a spot of work.

Used to be part of my weekly commute for a summer, Harwich to Exeter 300 miles.

Sometimes 8 hours down on a Friday, usually just under three hours home leaving 3am on Monday with one petrol stop.

Before those annoying limits and cameras.

I changed primary address twice in last year and replacement licence arrived within five days each time after notifying them online. It was only reading another pfm thread on the consequences of not informing them, that prompted me to do it since I’m normally very tardy with this sort of task.
Just before Christmas I got a penalty notice from DVLA ordering me to cough up a fine for “driving while not insured”. I ticked the box to appeal and enclosed a copy of my insurance certificate. Turns out the nasty surprise was because my insurer had not uploaded my details onto the national database. Haven’t heard back from DVLA since.
My nephew had his car seized for the same reason. Bastards just left him in wildest Salford with no means of transport. Fully insured but computer said no. It even cost him to get the car out of the pound. No apology, no nothing.

It's what I do. I know someone this happened to. He somehow lost his motor bike entitlement when his licence was renewed. When challenged DVLA claimed there were no records of his pass 50 years previously and if he wanted to ride he'd have to retake a test. He never bothered and was left with an original immaculate Triumph Bonneville in the garage which he couldn't legally ride.
If you apply on line for renewal they remove certain categories. The application says if you want to keep them you have to apply on paper

My nephew had his car seized for the same reason. Bastards just left him in wildest Salford with no means of transport. Fully insured but computer said no. It even cost him to get the car out of the pound. No apology, no nothing.
Is he BAME?

Only reason I asked was that usually in these cases (according to those 'police stop' telly programmes - which I never watch, they're just on in the background, honest) the usual procedure would be to contact the driver's insurance company by phone at the roadside, for confirmation of his insurance status. It's not uncommon for the insurance database to be out of date.

So that sort of unreasonable treatment smelt a bit like what might happen if he was black, not white and middle class.

If you apply on line for renewal they remove certain categories. The application says if you want to keep them you have to apply on paper
This was actually some time ago, before you could renew on line I think.

What happened to him never seemed right to me, but he'd practically given up riding by then and wasn't too fussed, so just let it go.

[QUOTE="molee, pos had it shipped out to him in Australia. It gets ridden quite regularly, though I believe it's been known to breakdown so confined to urban trips now :).

On the basis of what you have said, that would have been worthy of complaining.

Up to 9 months if my experience with DVLA are anything ( with a G not a K ) Not speeding related issues
I sent my form back to them on 22 December challenging the “driving while uninsured” penalty notice and a response came back yesterday, 14 January. I eagerly opened it and all it said was:

“Given the information you have provided, we will investigate the matter further . We will write to you as soon as those investigations are done”

Enforcement Officer
Sent unsigned.

I sent my V5c at the same time to update my address so hope that doesn’t get lost in their system. ISTM the person who replied could have checked the enclosed insurance certificate, opened the national database and closed the matter there and then for the sake of what, 30 seconds extra work?

A virus now resembling the common cold appears to have brought the country to its knees. You get the feeling a lot of organisations are hiding behind the excuse. Interestingly businesses who want to sell you stuff are in the majority of cases working at normal speed and efficiency.

OK everyone, you can all breathe easy again. My card license, with no categories redacted, arrived back this morning after about 3 weeks. I love the little icons of various modes of transportation on the back, all very Gerd Arntz. And it doesn't explicitly state that I am not allowed to drive a space shuttle so all good.

advertisement

Back