advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
R-2076143-1350559412-9960.jpeg.jpg

Vinyl, Music Matters 2x45rpm

ZWc.jpeg

"Shades of Today" - Pat Williams & Orchestra - 1968 on Verve.

On TDK MA-X 90 recorded before vinyl sold.

Bought LP in sale 'cos I recognised the names of some of the musicians from big band sessions with Jimmy Smith, e.g.
A bit cheesy. but musicianship of undoubted great quality. Engineered by Phil Ramone.
Good version of one of the the masterworks of the day "The Look of Love".
Great, too, if you like shouty American brass.
Dated-sounding harpsichord and calliope solos - but, hey, maan, it WAS the peak of the sixties!
This 23-year old purchaser - dreaming of what 23-year olds dream of, liked the album cover, too. Bless 'im.

Whole album is on youtube, if you have to sample it.

This 23-year old purchaser - dreaming of what 23-year olds dream of, liked the album cover, too. Bless 'im.

I read an article a few years ago tracing the history of putting attractive young women on album sleeves instead of the grizzled faces of jazz musicians. You'll be astonished to learn that it proved very successful!

"Electric Ladyland" immediately springs to mind. I got £168 for that High St store purchased vinyl. Had to be for the outstanding music, though??
Carly Simon was a bit perky, too, but I didn't fall for that one.

I read an article a few years ago tracing the history of putting attractive young women on album sleeves instead of the grizzled faces of jazz musicians. You'll be astonished to learn that it proved very successful!
If I was still 23 I wouldn’t be astonished at all. :) But at nearly 75 I probably am bit more now. :(

For my case that post should be in the ‘Re-releases that make you fill old thread’ because of the cover.;)

More Bud. Dodgy Italian version of the dodgy ESP Disk LP 'Broadcast Performances 1953, Vol. 1'.

Not sure I can really call myself a 'discriminating jazz fan' :)

R-5909856-1406059883-3153.jpeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back