advertisement

Re-releases that make you feel old

Yet another reissue of The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. I love the album but.......yes it makes me feel old (and cynical).

I was 14 when Obscured by Clouds was released in 1972. 50th anniversary this year. 50 years!

Where'd that go?

I'm preparing for the 50th of DSOTM in 2023. Hoping I might live that long....

PS The Lemonheads deserve to be heard on vinyl...

CDKnNLv.jpg

Seeing Oasis vinyl in Rough Trade Nottingham the other day made me feel old. Think I was 13-14 when the first album came out and vinyl was laughably old-hat by then. Now I often listen to 50s mono vinyl! Strange world o_O

Worse than that is seeing stuff I bought at the time in an actual museum, e.g. the V&A Bowie and Pink Floyd, the Manchester Art Gallery True Faith (Joy Division & New Order) and the Museum Of Science & Industry Factory Records exhibitions! The latter two especially as I was too young to catch the early phases of Bowie and Floyd, but I was certainly around for all the Factory stuff.

Worse than that is seeing stuff I bought at the time in an actual museum, e.g. the V&A Bowie and Pink Floyd, the Manchester Art Gallery True Faith (Joy Division & New Order) and the Museum Of Science & Industry Factory Records exhibitions! The latter two especially as I was too young to catch the early phases of Bowie and Floyd, but I was certainly around for all the Factory stuff.

Re seeing stuff in museums, I get a similar feeling seeing cars from my youth at "classic" car shows!

Anyway back on topic... I have bought some anniversary reissues (oasis, leftfield, underworld). I don't know whether the sound quality has improved but they're nice to have for completeness and sentimental reasons.

advertisement

Back