advertisement

getting new records out of their sleeves

davidismynaim

pfm Member
Is it me, or have new records become increasingly difficult to extract from their inner (often horrible thin card!) sleeves! I'm 57 and just spend 5 mins trying to extract Flying Dream 1 from its hard inner sleeve...nightmare, I am sure it didn't used to be this hard, back in the day. Once out, I replace it with a nice poly-lined one...then no such issues. Maybe it's the, now mandatory 180g extra thickness that's the root cause?

It can be the same with c.d’s in cardboard sleeves.

There is a technique for getting records out of sleeves which I use. Once out, I don’t put them back in.

Yes, some of them are a complete beggar to get out, if they're very tight I don't reuse them, after a spin on the RCM I put new records in an antistatic lined paper sleeve.

Maybe it's the, now mandatory 180g extra thickness that's the root cause?

Possibly, but I think static is the real culprit most of the time. If it's just a paper inner then I'll just cut it off but preserving a printed inner sleeve can be 'tricky'.

Yes, I don't know what bright spark thought that 180gm was a good idea, but that together with the poor quality inner sleeves makes it a nightmare to get the record out of it's sleeve. If the record is clinging to the inner because of static, I tear it off, because I always re-sleeve them anyway. Some records do have very thick sleeves too and these tend to be very tight.

To be fair that's not a technique for getting them out though is it? ;)

I just said there is a technique that I use.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided I was unable to describe what I do. I will try though.

Mmm… I press on each spine of the sleeve to get the sleeve leaves to part slightly whilst holding the sleeve upside down. Once the record (or c.d.) starts to fall slowly out of the sleeve, I continue to apply pressure to keep the sleeve open enough to access the disc. I then use my ample tummy and left hand to maintain pressure on the sleeve whilst with right hand gently pull out the disc - and/or stop/catch the disc as it emerges from the sleeve.
I usually do this standing up with the sleeve over my sofa, just in case the disc suddenly falls out rapidly.

Clumsy description and a clumsy action, but it does work.

You can very often manage to blow down each side of the record - the damp breath usually helps at least a little. Other than that, I hold them over an armchair and shake the sleeve HARD - if I miss the LP exiting, it gets a bit "fluffy" from the armchair, but easily cleaned with a brush.
Then into a Nagaoka once it has been played.

With vinyl I hold against body and press with fingers either side of mid-point. Can shoot out, opps!

It has become a real bugbear of mine too recently, & I am sure it is partly because most records or 180g or more, but covers also seem to be made from thicker card now, so I take great care taking them out & once cleaned & popped into an anti static inner I don't put it back inside the cover, it either goes inside if it is a gatefold or between the cover & a PU protective outer.

It can be the same with c.d’s in cardboard sleeves.

There is a technique for getting records out of sleeves which I use. Once out, I don’t put them back in.

Oh my word I HATE those tight CD sleeves! Can you get CD size plastic anti static sleeves I wonder!?

I attack the leads of a trickle charger to the jacket & album overnight, Neg(-) to the LP and the Pos(+) to the jacket, very important..

I concur. In fact, the worst offenders are the more expensive audiophile reissues like Analogue Productions with the heavy card stock that they use. They really should know better.

The worst offenders in terms of c.d’s in cardboard cases have been the recent Throbbing Gristle c.d’s that I purchased.
Agreed that c.d’s are far harder to get out of a tight case than an album.

The recent Squarepusher ‘Feed Me Weird Things’ remaster c.d. was a swine to get out of the sleeve as well.

STOP.

Don't take the record out. Pinch the sleeve and slide a decent quality, upside down poly liner over the record while it's still in the sleeve. Then remove the record.

Reactions: ask

advertisement

Back