advertisement

Vinyl albums I’ve neglected or forgotten

Fuller

pfm Member
Retirement a couple of years ago and the recent purchase of an RCM is at last giving me the chance to listen to the hundreds of vinyl albums I bought between the mid 70’s up and mid ‘90s and nearly all in very good/excellent condition now after a few sessions on my Project RCM.
I’ve cleaned over 100 so far and I’ve had great fun listening to some albums I honestly don’t recall listening to for 30 years or so, especially the ones from the 1980’s such as XTC Black Sea, New Order Movement, Neil Young Freedom, Blue Oyster Cult Cultosaurus Erectus, The Comsat Angels Fiction, John Martyn Piece by Piece, Van Morrison Common One, Miles Davis Tutu, The The Infected, Leonard Cohen I’m Your Man, I could go on and on.
Probably spent too much time listening to my CD’s, perhaps too often just due to time and convenience, since the mid 1990’s.
Not sure what I’m trying to say, but when we have large music collections it’s all too easy to forget all the brilliant albums, especially on vinyl, we’ve owned and played to death back in the day.
It’s been a great time of rediscovery over the last month or so, and has brought back some wonderful memories of times past. Only about another 600 to clean and many more treasures to enjoy one again!

Retirement a couple of years ago and the recent purchase of an RCM is at last giving me the chance to listen to the hundreds of vinyl albums I bought between the mid 70’s up and mid
‘90s and nearly all in very good/excellent condition now after a few sessions on my Project RCM.
I’ve cleaned over 100 so far and I’ve had great fun listening to some albums I honestly don’t recall listening to for 30 years or so, especially the ones from the 1980’s such as XTC Black Sea, New Order Movement, Neil Young Freedom, Blue Oyster Cult Cultosaurus Erectus, The Comsat Angels Fiction, John Martyn Piece by Piece, Van Morrison Common One, Miles Davis Tutu, The The Infected, Leonard Cohen I’m Your Man, I could go on and on.
Probably spent too much time listening to my CD’s, perhaps too often just due to time and convenience, since the mid 1990’s.
Not sure what I’m trying to say, but when we have large music collections it’s all too easy to forget all the brilliant albums, especially on vinyl, we’ve owned and played to death back in the day.
It’s been a great time of rediscovery over the last month or so, and has brought back some wonderful memories of times past. Only about another 600 to clean and many more treasures to enjoy one again!
I must be slightly older than you. My 'musical awakening' section contains about 50 albums dating from 1968-1972. In some cases they are my original copies but getting a bit tired now having been played on a Dansette back in the day in my bedroom.

Retirement a couple of years ago and the recent purchase of an RCM is at last giving me the chance to listen to the hundreds of vinyl albums I bought between the mid 70’s up and mid ‘90s and nearly all in very good/excellent condition now after a few sessions on my Project RCM.
If you haven’t really used your TT either since the mid 90’s, think of the fun you can have upgrading that as well, welcome back to vinyl;)

I have at least 7 linear metres of LPs, an RCM, dedicated phono stage and SME 20 but I rarely listen to vinyl these days...

Roon allows me to listen to more music with less faff :)

^^^^ I hate cd cases but quite like the cardboard ones new stuff comes in. That has caused me to dig around in the long discarded pile and find some gems… bought 40 card covers to rehouse.

With melco server I try to only play albums under a single letter for two days then go to next letter and so on.
Helps me stop choosing old faves again and again.

I did this a while ago when I purchased an Okki Nokki. I started with old favourites but then working through my collection alphabetically. I also took the opportunity to catalogue them as I cleaned them.

I also catalogued my CDs.

The process is complete now, bar a few new purchases which are sitting in the "to be cleaned" pile.

I now have no excuse for accidentally buying duplicates (something I guess that we've all done).

I rediscovered many gems and a few less good which are earmarked to free up some space in my racks as I seem to have reached over 95% capacity.

I just played Blondie's Parallel LInes and Eat to the Beat and was transported back in time with a big smile on my face.

There were some great songs, riffs and rhythms there.

From my perspective the ones with the least sticking power were the more punk/new wave tracks.

I’ve had a classical period and a jazz period (current). The stuff before is starting make an occasional appearance. I’ve had a J J Cale /Dylan/ Joni / Cockburn /Cohen/etc / episodes just because it’s easier listening. I like the stretch of complicated music but it’s nice to be stroked too.

Punk was never really "right" on albums.

Depends on what you count as punk! I’d argue things like Germ Free Adolescents, Another Music In A Different Kitchen, Can’t Stand The Rezillos, Cut, Pink Flag, first Tubeway Army album etc all sound great on original vinyl, as did the next wave e.g. Real Life, Entertainment, Unknown Pleasures, Three Imaginary Boys, Playing With A Different Sex etc. Then there are so many superb things from America e.g. Marquee Moon, Horses, Talking Heads 77, Suicide etc. I love this era of recording as it is just so fresh, dynamic and alive compared with the typically overblown over-produced mid-70s rock.

PS One band I dug out recently was Deaf School. I enjoyed giving the first two albums a spin after a very long while recently. Long enough I’d largely forgotten what they were like. They really were utterly bonkers.

Putting the collection into Discogs, alphabetically, has uncovered stuff I'd forgotten about, some still-sealed items that I've never played, etc.

I am in the process of packing up ready for a move, it is amazing what you notice and think, "why haven't I played that for so long". Once I get settled in the new home, I will definitely be going through the albums one by one and giving them a listen.

I must start cleaning all my records, start at A go to Z, and play at least once, if only to admire my taste or lack of.
I’ve got a 16.5 vpi , considering how obsessive I get over hifi I’m bit remiss on that front, they get brushed just not washed (enuf) .

Punk was never really "right" on albums.

Depends on what you count as punk! I’d argue things like Germ Free Adolescents, Another Music In A Different Kitchen, Can’t Stand The Rezillos, Cut, Pink Flag, first Tubeway Army album etc all sound great on original vinyl, as did the next wave e.g. Real Life, Entertainment, Unknown Pleasures, Three Imaginary Boys, Playing With A Different Sex etc. Then there are so many superb things from America e.g. Marquee Moon, Horses, Talking Heads 77, Suicide etc. I love this era of recording as it is just so fresh, dynamic and alive compared with the typically overblown over-produced mid-70s rock.

PS One band I dug out recently was Deaf School. I enjoyed giving the first two albums a spin after a very long while recently. Long enough I’d largely forgotten what they were like. They really were utterly bonkers.

I hear what you're saying; I guess that it's a matter of timing. I went away to uni in 1976, not long after punk had poked it's head over the ramparts outside London. I never bought a book in the 3 years I spent getting my degree, but I bought a lot of singles that I heard on the Peel show, and saw recommended in the NME. I acquired even more from record companies in the post, as I'd wangled my way onto the Social Committee and became the DJ. This meant to me that punk was generally heard via "interestingly recorded" singles, as LPs were generally too expensive for a student. I did buy NMTB as a sign of support, as it was my local Virgin Records in Nottingham that was prosecuted for displaying it in the window...When I was finished studying and returned to Sheffield I did start buying albums, although my first copy of Unknown Pleasures was from the back of my mate's EMI Sierra as he'd managed to get a job in their distribution. Jammy sod!

advertisement

Back