advertisement

David Bowie - Toy Box

Tony L

Administrator
So, David Bowie’s shelved ‘Toy’ album exists as a 3xCD or 6x10” box set.

The CD box turned up this morning, but I’ve only had a chance to play the first disc so far. One thing that is decidedly lacking is an instruction manual. The booklet adds absolutely no context or information, and with this one that is needed. My suspicion is there has been a fair bit of posthumous revision. Somewhere I have a ropey MP3 of the “album” when it was first leaked well over a decade ago. It is ages since I’ve played it, but my memory is different to what I just played earlier. I’ll see if I can find it.

As best as I can piece things together this was a deep-dive through some very old unreleased songs, some dating back to the ‘60s, but recorded in 2000. How they got from there to here is not explained. No idea what I make if it yet, but it’s certainly no Blackstar.

Anyone else working through it?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is it the chippings left over from a rather nice bit of furniture? But at least its him exploiting himself which has to be progress:)

Was a big feature on it in Uncut a good while ago, which explains it all IIRC. My copy not arrived yet.

According to Earl Slick and a few of the other musicians involved Toy was recorded immediately after the 2000 tour as a band while the band was on form, I gathered Bowie was not happy with the final outcome. I have it as it was included in the Era 5 box set but as yet have not listened to it.

Last edited:
It’s tempting to say it’s his “funny little early songs” given his 2000 power band treatment. Which I think is accurate. How essential it is, I’m not sure yet.

I really like the new version of The London Boys - there's also an excellent version on the Live At The BBC album that came in the latest boxset.

is this available on 12" vinyl or is it box set only?

Can't seem to see a "regular" vinyl version

How essential it is, I’m not sure yet.

I’m suspecting ‘not very’. Certainly nothing here (so far, I’ve only played the first two CDs) that even remotely worries say 1. Outside, Heathen, The Next Day etc. It’s not terrible, but that isn’t the bar to jump for a Bowie album.

advertisement

Back