advertisement

Another NA question: Interspace Jr. or Horizon SE?

kasperhauser

pfm Member
I currently have the Horizon SE with a Rega RB250 sporting the full Origin Live wiring and upgrades. I could switch to an Interspace Jr. equipped with whatever NA arm it was originally supplied with, in what would work out to be essentially an even swap money-wise.

I'm wondering if this would be a backward, sideways, or forward step. I like what the Horizon does but would welcome a bit more of it.

Cartridge and phono stage are AT VM95ML and Mobile Fidelity StudioPhono. I could be persuaded to upgrade the cart, but would prefer to keep the MoFi if it isn't seen as problematic.

Edit: Willing to accept that moving further up the NA line is the smarter decision, but this opportunity came up and I thought I'd get your thoughts.

Interesting point about the mass, thanks – I hadn't noticed the 27 mm platter of the Horizon vs. the 37 mm platter of the Interspace Jr.

...the more I look at this, the more it seems like a no-brainer. Better bearing, more massive platter, longer tonearm, less divisive aesthetics. All on the plus side of the Interspace Junior.

Nottingham Analogue themselves seem to believe it's an improvement on the Horizon SE.

Probably going to pull the trigger unless someone weighs in with a compelling cautionary viewpoint.

Hooray – consensus!
Item purchased.

General enquiry to firm decision and action in one day! You don't hang about! No idea of your alternatives but as a Dais owner of some years, I'd be very surprised if you were unhappy with your choice, esp. if service and help is the same now as it was at N.A. 12" arm option? go for it.

Yeah, in the end there wasn't much to think about. Basically an even exchange; all I'm out is the shipping.

Should be fun comparing the two NA offerings to see which one stays. And then deciding whether the AT cartridge (which is actually an AT VM540ML; I have an AT 95ML on a different turntable in the tiki bar) needs to be upgraded.

Yeah, in the end there wasn't much to think about. Basically an even exchange; all I'm out is the shipping.

Should be fun comparing the two NA offerings to see which one stays. And then deciding whether the AT cartridge (which is actually an AT VM540ML; I have an AT 95ML on a different turntable in the tiki bar) needs to be upgraded.

Photo of Tiki bar required, please

Here's an early, messy iteration (no home tiki bar is really ever "finished"):
IMG-5749.jpg"

Sunroom full of plants visible in the background. The whole thing is currently pulled apart while we cover all the walls in lauhala matting. After that, I intend to figure out how to fake some sort of back-lit night-sky effect on the ceiling, then it's party time, covid permitting.

Excellent! Now we’re talking; not a bar theme that’s common in the UK and having one at home is simply sensational!

And your cocktail of choice?

Thanks! It's a nice place to escape to.

As for cocktails, if I'm ordering from the tiki menu, the Jet Pilot is my current fave:
  • ½ oz cinnamon syrup
  • ½ oz falernum
  • ½ oz lime juice
  • ½ oz white grapefruit juice
  • 1 oz blackstrap rum
  • ¾ oz gold rum
  • ¾ oz 151 proof Demerara rum
  • 2 dashes of aromatic bitters
  • 6 drops of absinthe
My all-time favorite cocktail is the Sazerac, though.

I might start a home bar thread in the off topic room after I've made some more progress. I bet other fishies have some interesting hangouts.

I'm also a big fan of a Sazerac but not familiar with the Jet Pilot. Thanks for the recipe, I’ll make up some cinnamon syrup and prepare one or two tomorrow.

If you're a fan of falernum, you might like the Nuclear Daquiri:

30 ml ovenproof Rum
20 ml Green chartreuse
15 ml lime juice
10 ml Falernum
10 ml chilled water (omit if you’re using wet ice)
Shake and fine strain into a coupe.

For me it’s Manhattans during the winter months and Margaritas or Caipirinhas when the Sun’s out. My kids love my Margarita recipe w/chocolate bitters.

Definitely start up a cocktail thread!

Last edited:
re. cart upgrades, you could consider trying a moving coil, e.g., Denon DL103 or Hana SL. I currently have an SL and before that a 103 and 103R. I think the mofi can handle MCs. Though best to check if they are suitable for the new arm.

advertisement

Back