advertisement

Oh well indeed @Nagraboy sorry to dredge it up!
I've only ever heard or used belt drive motor units, though I've tried most of the designs with a selection of tonearms and cartridges, I'd really like to try an idler and DD at some stage.

Great photos of systems this year.

I can’t remember when I posted a photo of my music room last, but everyone seems to have very tidy rooms - my music room looks like a bomb has gone off

C3-AC4155-4-AFC-45-A1-8152-BDD667014014.jpg

you can see The Field, or a bit of it in this pic.

98814208-DFDC-4534-85-E8-135-D79-B56-BD1.jpg

238-D6916-0034-415-C-B71-D-5037-E139-C19-F.jpg

DB5-C3-E76-96-CA-45-E5-A25-D-B25-E79-FF08-A7.jpg

98814208-DFD
Your room is fabulous, full of interesting stuff and a good reflection of a life well lived… and your system sounds fabulous!

Work was getting really stressful at the time and with the arm and plinth driving me mad I just decided to chuck it all in and took a 50% loss.

I can understand that. If you're not having fun knock it on the head and do something else. Plenty of 401s in the world if you fancy another.

124 should be ace once you've sorted a better plinth - congrats!

I can understand that. If you're not having fun knock it on the head and do something else. Plenty of 401s in the world if you fancy another.

124 should be ace once you've sorted a better plinth - congrats!

Thank you, this time I’m determined not to give in. I’ve already decided that I’m seeing this one through as I’ve always wanted a TD 124 since seeing a pic in a magazine 15 year ago. I’ve relaxed a bit regarding hi-fi the last couple of years, so I’m not going for total perfection or bust, here. Just a decently quiet motor unit and I’ll be happy.

Your room is fabulous, full of interesting stuff and a good reflection of a life well lived… and your system sounds fabulous!

Thanks very much, but I would want you to say if it didn’t sound right.

I have had that room as my HiFi/Music space for 28 years, I wish I had photos of each time something has changed in there

*LIGHTBULB* moment.

Maybe I do have some…?. gonna look in various shoeboxes full of photographs.

Thanks very much, but I would want you to say if it didn’t sound right.

I have had that room as my HiFi/Music space for 28 years, I wish I had photos of each time something has changed in there

*LIGHTBULB* moment.

Maybe I do have some…?. gonna look in various shoeboxes full of photographs.
No, I was being honest, it sounds superb, your turntable really took me buy surprise, it’s right up there!

No, I was being honest, it sounds superb, your turntable really took me buy surprise, it’s right up there!

Ta.

I am blushing.

It must be those bits of felt under the turntable feet, and the acrylic baseboard o_O

Seriously though -

I value your opinion as my long time best mate is only bothered about how loud a system goes.

I moved my main system to create a winter snug doubling as a music room. Working quite well so far. Turntable benefitted from a proper shelf in the last room though. In real life the walls are very dark blue.

A2-FB4-ADC-2-E71-457-C-9-B9-A-C40-D36200-AC4.jpg

1-ABF4674-AF9-C-444-C-BD0-E-C3-DD7329-CF84.jpg

B5-E6-EAFC-A40-F-4-FB8-B0-AD-6-CC03403576-B.jpg

Which iteration of Harbeth SHL5s are those?

Why do you run three turntables?
I expected someone would have answered your question sensibly by now so apologies. There are several reasons to run multiple turntables, a few below, others may add their reasons.

• Some are a right faff to swap from 33 to 45 so one deck for each speed, some only run at 33
  • Some can’t spin at 78, if it’s you main/cherished deck then buying another one just for 78 rather than changing deck is a choice
  • One deck geared up with a Mono cart the other with Stereo
  • They sound different, one deck you may prefer for classical another for modern music
  • Setting up carts, as things happen, illness/ageing/failing eyesight for example, it becomes harder/more prone to damaging things so getting a dealer/mate in to set things up and running multiple decks means you can easily swap between fave carts - peace of mind if they are expensive/unobtainable easily. Detachable headshells helps but you still have to sort the fine tuning setup out
  • Collection, getting the stuff you could only window shop as a youth
  • Different technologies bring different sound flavours/strengths and weaknesses, belt, dd and idler drives for example
  • Different arms - bearing types, effective mass and length - simply swapping headshells doesn't work for very different cart types they need a suitably light or heavy arm or may work better in a uni pivot for example.
  • It looks really cool on forum system pic threads :)
ATB
Gus

I expected someone would have answered your question sensibly by now so apologies. There are several reasons to run multiple turntables, a few below, others may add their reasons.

I run five turntables. Why? Mainly just because it's fun. I love the different technologies, so downstairs, I have 1 x belt drive, 2 x idlers and 1 x DD. Not sure which one I would keep tbh, if I were forced to have just one. Oh yes, there's the LP12 upstairs too, but even that has two PSUs, a Lingo MkI & a Norton AirPower.

advertisement

Back