advertisement

Can you say soemthing about the sub and how it works in your room?

Monitor Audio 10” active sub.

I don’t use it all the time, in fact not turned it on for months. It is adjustable and I have it set for less than 40 hertz.
the PMC speakers have plenty of low down, so infrequent usage. I got the sub when I was using PMC DB1i’s and I wanted more low down. I like the look of it in the fireplace void, and will mess about with it about once a year.

It works best when adjusted so the benefit can be heard, but not grossly so.

b
Great photos of systems this year.

I can’t remember when I posted a photo of my music room last, but everyone seems to have very tidy rooms - my music room looks like a bomb has gone off

C3-AC4155-4-AFC-45-A1-8152-BDD667014014.jpg

you can see The Field, or a bit of it in this pic.

98814208-DFDC-4534-85-E8-135-D79-B56-BD1.jpg

238-D6916-0034-415-C-B71-D-5037-E139-C19-F.jpg

DB5-C3-E76-96-CA-45-E5-A25-D-B25-E79-FF08-A7.jpg

98814208-DFD
ut full of fun! Enjoy!

for @ampedup

One Heybrook TT2s deck (cast alloy chassis years before Keel came along for Linn’s :) ) acrylic armboard, offboard Heed/Inspire power supply unit. Origin Live Onyx arm with upgraded wires with an Ortofon 2m Black - homemade 5mm acrylic bottom board which is bright yellow :cool: - this deck leads to an Arkless Turbo phono stage.

One Heybrook TT2 deck, regular chassis, Linn LV X arm with a Goldring 2100 cart. leads to an Arkless 640p phono stage

Amplifier is a Roksan K3 - 70 w. per channel at 8 ohms.

Roksan Blak c.d. player

Arcam Alpha 9 c.d. player modded by Linnfomaniac83 hiding at the bottom on a skateboard.

Van damme speaker cable (I think? I have forgotten to be honest) - Chord interconnects

Tacima mains conditioner blocks x 2

Shelving is microwave mounting ‘L’ brackets (about £15 a pr.) and glass cut to each individual shelf.

Own design marble sandwiches to support the speakers - PMC FB1i’s

Rug from Liberty’s :) in London.

Lots and lots of felt pads supporting everything.
Love a lived in room.

I moved my main system to create a winter snug doubling as a music room. Working quite well so far. Turntable benefitted from a proper shelf in the last room though. In real life the walls are very dark blue.

A2-FB4-ADC-2-E71-457-C-9-B9-A-C40-D36200-AC4.jpg

1-ABF4674-AF9-C-444-C-BD0-E-C3-DD7329-CF84.jpg

B5-E6-EAFC-A40-F-4-FB8-B0-AD-6-CC03403576-B.jpg

great room, but I couldn’t live with the dark blue paint on the walls.
Sucks the life out of me being in dark rooms.

- reminds me of rooms painted black when teens are going through a ‘Goth’ phase :)

20220108_145400.jpg

Description of the kit
Speakers - Reiver Jenner
Left side of the unit:
Bottom - PSU’s for the turntables and phono amp
Middle - Philips DCC 730 (playing an analogue tape currently)
Top - Bigbottle MK3 Valve Phono amp
Very top - Michell Orbe (modified) with Rega RB300 arm and Goldring Elite MC cart

Middle of the unit:
Bottom - Pure Sound A30 valve amp (used as a power amp)
Middle - Myryad Z40 headphone amp (used also as a preamp). Firebottle OTP MkII Phono amp
Very top - Technics SP-10 TT (in original plinth), SME V tonearm, Denon DL103M MC cart (modded)

Right of the unit:
Bottom - Some records
Middle - Pi3 in a home built case (3D printed) housing a R-2R DAC and 7inch touchscreen, USB DVD/CD player connected to the PI, Pi4 with USB DAC (used as a Roon end point)
Very top - JVC TT-71 turntable in a home built plinth, 12 inch wooden tonearm with a Golding G800 cartridge

Got a TD 124 earlier this week which came with a 3009 series 2 Improved and 2M Blue cart. I’ve also bought an SME M2-9R and plan to use it with an SPU (not sure which one yet) once I’ve quietened the motor down a bit. Also need a new plinth. It sounds rather nice with the current arm/cart so should keep me going for a bit.

ry0xgF3.jpg

I’ve had a couple of other nice turntable setups in the past and managed to find a couple of photos online.

First is an Audio Grail 301 with Timestep 12” arm and SPU Classic in a Russ Collinson plinth from 2018. Note the Aurorasound Vida phono stage and Leben integrated amp. I do regret letting his go! :

8NDpiKo.jpg

A few years before that I had this setup below. SME Model 10 with custom 12” arm attachment for the SME 312S arm, Miyajima Waza with matching Miyajima SUT. Phono stage was a Leben RS30EQ with the same Leben integrated:

hBqiFGJ.jpg

If anyone knows someone roughly in the Nottingham area that could have a look at the 124 for me that would be great.

Why do you run three turntables?
Had the Orbe already but had neverion the 40 years of being into HiFi had I used a DD turntable.
Bought the JVC to test and liked the SQ a lot - the SP-10 came along and I couldn't resist :)
Was planning on the selling the Orbe and JVC but my wife said she likes the look of the JVC and Orbe (she does prefer the Gyro look though) so they both stayed!
Plus, each has its own unique presentation which I find to be interesting also.

Hope the above answers your question sufficiently ;)

great room, but I couldn’t live with the dark blue paint on the walls.
Sucks the life out of me being in dark rooms.

- reminds me of rooms painted black when teens are going through a ‘Goth’ phase :)

Yeah, I have to say I like it especially in the winter. There is plenty of lighting but I like it quite dark. I’m lucky enough to have three living rooms, one is teal, one grey, one dark blue so I can bob about as I fancy. I used to have a projector when I was married in a dark oxblood room and I’m thinking about doing that again in the blue room.

First is an Audio Grail 301 with Timestep 12” arm and SPU Classic in a Russ Collinson plinth from 2018. Note the Aurorasound Vida phono stage and Leben integrated amp. I do regret letting his go! :

Some lovely stuff there, may I ask why did you let it go ?

Some lovely stuff there, may I ask why did you let it go ?

I messed it all up due to lack of knowledge really. I didn’t get the plinth drilled for feet and RC became unresponsive after sending the plinth. The arm was a bit weird to set up with little support from the manufacturer and could never be sure it was aligned properly with the SPU, which often mistracked. Also I made the mistake of not getting an interchangeable armboard and the pilot holes for the arm plate didn’t have metal inserts, so stupidly just screwed in the arm bolts directly into the plinth! Total disaster. Work was getting really stressful at the time and with the arm and plinth driving me mad I just decided to chuck it all in and took a 50% loss. Looking back now, I could’ve kept the motor unit and cart for the future, then just sold the arm and plinth on eBay for a slight loss. Oh well

advertisement

Back