advertisement

DIY Turntable

matt j

pfm Member
Bit of a cheek calling it a DIY turntable as I've neither the ability or tools to design such a device completely from scratch, this is more of a self assembly really from various parts with a small bit of input from me.

I've always fancied a go at one but didn't know how to tackle it for a first attempt, the simplest approach I settled on was to use a donor deck for some of the parts/design and go from there with any other ideas that sprang up along the way.

Donor was a fairly simple choice- I've always liked Regas from a design and engineering stand point, if not so much how they sound, which I'm convinced is mainly down to the arms as it has followed with other decks wearing an RB250/300 etc. So an arm change was a must at the very least.

A few months ago I happened to land on a 24v RP3 complete with external TTPSU at the right money, bonus as it also came with a Fono MM. By the time I'd stripped it and sold all the unwanted parts including bearing, platter, arm, sub platter and the Fono MM etc. the bits I did want hadn't cost me anything. I had a quick listen to it before stripping and was impressed with its silent operation and speed stability.

Whilst deciding on what to do I also picked up a Brinkmann 10.0 arm thanks to input from a fellow fishie whose judgment I trust based on previous suggestions.

I also stumbled across Ben Lamb at Fidelity Designs and his upgraded Rega parts and was impressed with the level of workmanship, so ordered one of his bearing, sub platter and acetal outer platter kits, for the level of quality his prices are too cheap, fantastic stuff.

So then, what to do. All decisions are based on nothing other than trying it out and what I could realistically achieve given a lack of tools and anything resembling a workshop, there is no R&D here :D

Plinth- the stock plinth is just chipboard, I decided on a relatively lightweight constrained layer damped affair based almost identically on the original Rega dimensions so I could retain the dust cover but I wanted something more substantial so I went with an 8mm layer of Valchromat and a layer of 12mm baltic birch giving roughly the same thickness as the original. I'm no expert on CLD so after some brief research I settled on using Green Glue as the viscoelastic component between them. I used the odd dab of wood glue to act as proper adhesive as I don't think the Green Glue is actually glue. No idea if it will work but it wasn't expensive to make so, trial and error etc.

I first knocked up a quick proof of concept with an offcut of MDF just to check all the dimensions/holes etc. Even though the Brinkmann is a longer arm there's isn't much in it and it all still fits in the same footprint.

With that done I set about gluing the valchromat and birch layers- this has actually had 3-4 weeks setting as I haven't had time until now to carry on with it- I decided to make it over size and cut it down afterwards, seemed the easiest thing to do. No table saw so all done with a Makita circ saw, I then ran the trim router around it to give it a decent finish, which was fun as I don't have any flush trim bits big enough so it was a case of making up a fence using the spirit level and clamps. I think I'm also going to knock all the corners off and slightly bevel all the sharp edges just to make it look less amateur. I'd kill for a workshop, working outdoors on gravel with tools scattered all over the shop is a ball ache.

pic share

Heart in mouth moment is drilling the three main holes- bearing, motor and tonearm, obviously not ideal using forstner bits in a hand drill but it's only 20mm depth and not too difficult with good bits, I laid the MDF prototype over the top just to double check I'd marked it out right and it looked good so through they went.

I then marked out underneath as I've got to freehand route the cavity for the motor, no room for error as there is only about 4.5mm of wood between going right through the top side so I'm going to do it in stages of probably 4-5 cuts. I had a test run on some scrap ply and noticed the router base was tipping when the edge went over the cavity so decided to knock up a wider base plate just to do that bit, unfortunately it started to rain so will hopefully go back and finish it off tomorrow.

After that it should just be a case of throwing it together and firing it up I reckon. Oh, I need ideas for feet if anyone has any? I could just use the Rega ones as a temp option but something nicer looking would be good.

I'm also unsure of putting any sort of finish on it? I'm assuming with Valchromat being similar to MDF that it won't take a finish? Should I slap something on the ply edge or leave it? No experience of finishing wood aside from painting.

Sanding sealer on the edge of the mdf before sanding will help getting a smooth finish.
Good work without a bench, I remember having just a workmate.

Pete

Valchromat is really just coloured, flame retardant mdf, sand it to key it for paint.

Nice work by the way

I don't fancy painting it if I'm honest, especially at this time of year. Is it worth putting any sort of varnish or oil on it or better off leaving it bare?

Valchromat takes Danish oil really nicely. Here it is on the front of my Ergo IX:

Ergo_IX_L.jpg

That's the same dark walnut tint as on the birch sides.

Last edited:
Very nice, what is the best way to prep it before applying?
The same as with wood: progressively finer grits of sandpaper (e.g. 120, 180, 240, 300), until it feels buttery smooth. Wipe off the dust with a wet cloth between each round of sanding, which lifts up stray fibers for the next round. Make sure it's dry before sanding each time.

Osmo Polyx works great on Valchromat (and any other timber I've tried), and was recommended by the Valchromat UK distributor when I spoke to them a few years back. The satin finish is my go to - sand to 240 or 320 then goes on super easy with a rag or sponge, and 2 coats is usually enough.

Osmo Polyx works great on Valchromat (and any other timber I've tried), and was recommended by the Valchromat UK distributor when I spoke to them a few years back. The satin finish is my go to - sand to 240 or 320 then goes on super easy with a rag or sponge, and 2 coats is usually enough.

Thanks, I'd already ordered a small tin of Danish oil but will keep it in mind.

Managed to pretty much finish the plinth off today with the decent weather, glad I put a slight bevel on the Valchromat top layer now as it looks a lot better I think. Freehand routing the motor and PCB recess was fun, although not as dicey as I imagined so it turned out ok, won't be seen anyway when the motor cover is on. A rare occasion as I'm quite happy with how it has turned out all things considered.

Just a few small bits to sort- I am considering bolting the motor to the top plate, as standard it is just stuck in place with a sticky foam pad, not decided yet. Got a Rega reference EBLT to go on, also need to link out the on/off switch on the PCB as I will just use the PSU buttons to control it and I might order a brand new Rega smoked lid as the clear one that came with the RP3 has a few marks on it. Then it just needs some feet. Couldn't resist dropping the bits in to see how it looked.

Brief update. Sanded up to 600 grit then gave it two coats of Danish oil, then gave it a quick flick with some 2000 grit till it felt like glass and another coat of oil. Pictures aren't very good but it has come out pretty well, I like it. Kind of made the valchromat more of a black than grey without adding too much of a gloss sheen to it, it looks a bit odd in some camera angles with certain light but in the flesh it looks fine.

Decided to secure the motor with a couple of countersunk M3 allen screws with nylocks, so drilled for those in anticipation, just waiting for some neoprene sheet material so I can make a gasket to go between the motor top plate and the plinth to try and help with any vibrations, no idea if it will work just seemed like a good idea.

Linked out the on/off switch on the PCB as it will just be controlled directly from the TTPSU so not needed.

Added the Rega feet and lid hinge brackets, feet will do for now until I come up with something. Lid fits well, although as mentioned I will probably buy a new Rega item as this one has some marks on it and looks a little shabby.

Forgot to add, the only sketchy bits left are the holes for the arm collar, they're super close to the main hole and easy to blow out, best suited to a pillar drill which I don't have. I do have a drill guide somewhere that I've never used which looks like it may come in handy for this, so that is something, I may also use a sacrificial bit of wood on top to add some support so it can't wander off.

I will also have to route from underneath to create a recess for the collar bolts to attach as they aren't long enough to go all the way through, and I'd like to use the OEM bolts as they have captive washers on two of them to allow the collar to nip up for securing arm height/VTA.

You have a router that you can use as a pillar drill, all you need is the right sized bit. Your extended base will allow you to clamp the router over the hole then plunge.

Pete

Regarding the Danish oil, note that it will be "dry" very quickly, but it takes a few days to fully cure. Until then, it's still somewhat susceptible to marking.

You have a router that you can use as a pillar drill, all you need is the right sized bit. Your extended base will allow you to clamp the router over the hole then plunge.

Pete

It's not a plunge router unfortunately, just a trim router, plus I don't have a bit that small just a little box of assorted bits. Good idea though!

Regarding the Danish oil, note that it will be "dry" very quickly, but it takes a few days to fully cure. Until then, it's still somewhat susceptible to marking.

Cheers, I think I'll wait until it is ready for final assembly and then give it one final coat and leave it to dry for a week.

Came up with an easier idea for the routing out under the arm collar, just cut a bigger hole in a scrap of MDF to use as a guide for a bigger forstner bit- worked fine, ended up just free-handing the smaller collar bolts as there wasn't much to drill into anyway.

Made a gasket from the rubber/neoprene stuff that arrived, that has worked better than expected, I also put a small circle of it on the underside of the motor cover where it contacts it. Then just bolted in the motor, bearing and arm collar and fitted it all up, looking at it I will need taller feet as the arm sits low in the collar and the arm cable will need more clearance even though it is a right angle plug, minor issue for now. Connected it up and tested for motor running etc. all seems fine, can't hear it or see it moving which is spooky.

Just needs a cart throwing on and lining up which I will leave until tomorrow now as I don't fancy messing around with carts in poor light when I'm tired.

advertisement

Back