advertisement

It’s about time for another LS3/5a ( plus others ) Shootout.

The closest thing to a LS3/5a that is not LS3/5a is probably a Keesonic Kolt. Designed for broadcast applications at the time to be a competitor.

I guess the Kolt, like the LS3/5a, is supposed to not have decent bass, as they are designed to be used in a van for example.

The Spendor S3/5r range, Harbeth P3ES range etc like the ATC SCM7/10 are all small 'monitor style' speakers but not really designed to be used in such restrictive enviroments.

In the late 70s, I worked for a company that built prototypes for the BBC, so spent quite a lot of time on the phone to the BBC tech people, trying to work out why the bits they had sent me didn't correspond to the circuit diagram I was working to. They were the people that had designed the LS3/5a (and all the rest) and it was their enthusiasm for the speaker that led me to buy a set in 1978. They were adamant that the speakers would only work if placed on a bookshelf, jammed between books, so as to emulate the placement in an outside broadcast van. They also said that they were primarily designed for speech, but the Third Programme people felt they were good enough for classical music monitoring if they were forced to use a van. They also suggested I use a Quad 303 or an A&R A60. I couldn't afford a 303 and I listened to an A&R A60 vs a Pioneer 6500 and preferred the latter.
After I left university I found myself in larger rooms, and really couldn't make the speakers work for me. I played with all sorts of things. Modified Videoton D100s were one of my favourites, Tangent SPL1, Royd Eden, and then got into designing (well, working with an acoustic engineer and an electronics engineer to design...) the Black Box prototypes that never made it to market. The LS3/5a in its original incarnation is a very specific thing, designed for a specific job, and more important than anything else for the BBC was consistency - hence the autotransformers and the calibration certificates. Having heard some Genelecs is a similar environment I feel we have progressed quite a long way in the last 40 years.

...The LS3/5a in its original incarnation is a very specific thing, designed for a specific job...Having heard some Genelecs in a similar environment I feel we have progressed quite a long way in the last 40 years.

That is intriguing Jem. As you will know, there are many reviews of various Genelec models, including quite a line-up of pro monitors. Can you give an example or two of models you’ve heard that go beyond the LS3/5a for home use, but retain that special something with voice...?

I'd like to compare some of the frontrunners from the 70's 'Supertest'

Ls35a,jr149,Dm5's etc,etc

I see you mention DM5s. The forerunner to them was the D5, which I liked very much.
A friend had D5s & DM4s, which set me on the path to tracking down a pair of D5s.
His DM4s reminded me of my Spendor BC1s.

I don’t know how much interest KK has in the LS3/5a these days.
Somewhere I read about him raving on about expensive watches.

To revive this thread, I would certainly like to be involved in an LS3/5a comparison, with the proviso that
other ‘LS3/5a cousins’ could be included.
Some interested parties like that idea.

I live near Oxford, but could travel to a suitable venue.
Arrangements about the venue and equipment choice can be discussed.

Still, if anyone has a large garden on a dry summer’s day? Serious idea. No room interaction is a good thing, although bass from rear ports can get a bit lost unless a friendly wall is nearby?

What about the village hall venue in the east midlands that I've seen hold some hi-fhi evenings?
Can't remember exactly where or who was running these though...

That sounds the sort of venue I had in mind, Rich.
Where in the East Midlands had you in mind ?
I have a connection with Hinckley and Nottingham, but open to ideas.
We ( I ? ) could help co-ordinate.

I think we would have to organise LS3/5a owners and decide on amplification and source.
And programme material.
I would love to start organising for Springtime.

If you could investigate the village hall that would be a good start...

I would like to be involved in this as well, I'm in Kidderminster so East Midlands would be fine with me.

I have Stirling V2 & V3s. I will be looking to sell the V2s soon but would be happy to hang on to them for a bit unless someone else has a pair to bring along.

I think it would be good to have at least one pair of good quality modern mini monitor speakers involved as well just as a reference/see how far things have/haven't moved on.

I'm thinking Kef LS50s, Amphion Argon1s or something similar. I've owned both the Amphions & Kefs so have my own thoughts on the matter.

Choice of amp/amps to use could prove devisive. Again I have my own thoughts on this.

TS

I’ve got in touch with the guy I was thinking of ref the hall - he’s very helpful and I think we might be on to something. I’ll find out more and update as soon as I can.

advertisement

Back