advertisement

Old hifi systems with great sounding drum kit cymbals

Happy New Year to all.
Years ago (in the late 70s), 2 of my friend had hifi systems consisting of Meridian 101b/103 (one had 105's), Linn Sondeks with Linn tonearms and MC cartridges (I can remember what MC's these were?) and Mission 770 speakers (using QED 79). One thing that sticks in my mind with this was the clarity of drum kit cymbals, almost as if they were in the room (being an ex bass player they were absolutely realistic). The Mission 770's were unbelievable speakers at the time. However (and may be its me?), I've not heard anything similar since to a similar sounding system.
I'm now back to using my old A&R A60, Arcam Alpha 5 CD (upgraded) and Heybrook HB2 2000 series - this is miles away from this type of original sound that I liked years ago, maybe its like comparing chalk and cheese! I am in a position to upgrade my system BUT I am really anxious to spend out pots of money and not achieve what I'd heard years ago.
Also, is part of this the difference between vinyl and digital recordings (CDs, MP3's) potentially being data compressed?

Any thoughts will be most appreciated.

Regards

Rob
Back in the 70s I remember listening to my mates hifi and he put on Xanadu by Rush..it was mesmerising..my system now is considerably better than my mates then..but my ears were younger and considerably better then..and when your young everything is great ( more or less ) so I had that optimistic view which being seventeen provided? Which would have helped that listening to Rush experience..I can't replicate that sound ( feeling ) now! Even though my kit is awesome it can't compete with a memory..' blue remembered hills' you can't return..and trying to replicate that sound or memory is a fruitless exercise in my opinion..I find comfort nowadays in my ukulele and a decent whisky! But not social media which I find mostly irritating lol..perhaps I could recommend a kremona ukulele and a bottle of Ardbeg!

I can't replicate that sound ( feeling ) now! Even though my kit is awesome..

You kit is not awesome then ;0)

I'm being serious. Most of the expensive Hi-Fi systems I hear sound terrible. In the quest for detail, imaging and other bollocks HI-Fi goals we've totally forgotten the raw, emotional response to a good tune.

Years ago, people who knew nothing about Hi-Fi didn't use the terms that we commonly band about. The term used most often to compliment a music system was to say 'It has a good tone'. That is actually a good phrase and one which would serve us well. We spend too much time not seeing the wood for the trees. If a system does not sing out, warm the heart and stir the soul it is not awesome.

I'm being serious. Most of the expensive Hi-Fi systems I hear sound terrible. In the quest for detail, imaging and other bollocks HI-Fi goals we've totally forgotten the raw, emotional response to a good tune.

Years ago, people who knew nothing about Hi-Fi didn't use the terms that we commonly band about. The term used most often to compliment a music system was to say 'It has a good tone'. That is actually a good phrase and one which would serve us well. We spend too much time not seeing the wood for the trees. If a system does not sing out, warm the heart and stir the soul it is not awesome.

There’s an awful lot of truth in that. I’ve heard so many awful high end systems over the years that failed to entertain to the same level as, say, an entry level Rotel system that I’m convinced that Hifi has headed in the wrong direction for years. The use by many industry designers themselves (and many retailers too) of vintage kit hints strongly at this but the commercial imperative is just that. I had the misfortune a few years ago to have to demonstrate some very large, pricey mono block amps (50kg each) at a very inaccessible property into a pair of enormously expensive Wilson speakers. The whole experience left me wondering why we bother. There was absolutely no music at all in that system.

There’s an awful lot of truth in that. I’ve heard so many awful high end systems over the years that failed to entertain to the same level as, say, an entry level Rotel system that I’m convinced that Hifi has headed in the wrong direction for years. The use by many industry designers themselves (and many retailers too) of vintage kit hints strongly at this but the commercial imperative is just that. I had the misfortune a few years ago to have to demonstrate some very large, pricey mono block amps (50kg each) at a very inaccessible property into a pair of enormously expensive Wilson speakers. The whole experience left me wondering why we bother. There was absolutely no music at all in that system.
That’s probably the reason why a pair of vintage Spendor BC-1 sells very quickly on the used market ! At least in my area !

Or maybe it’s just that you prefer low-fi, out of habit perhaps?

In my opinion that is because in the 'Golden Era', hifi enthusiasts had large collections of classical music and, crucially, regularly went to live concerts so they had a reference point for how things should sound. The reference now is electric instruments played back on a PA in a nightclub, or in a field at a festival.

I had the misfortune a few years ago to have to demonstrate some very large, pricey mono block amps (50kg each) at a very inaccessible property into a pair of enormously expensive Wilson speakers. The whole experience left me wondering why we bother. There was absolutely no music at all in that system.
It sounds like the system I heard, twice.
The most expensive system I have ever heard, and it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

What aspects of the recorded signal?

All of them. That's all we have to start with.
But I accept that accuracy is not for everyone, and that some types of distortion can enhance the listening experience. And the ultimate goal is listening enjoyment.

I mostly agree.... But I do believe setting up the system in the given room needs a lot of time with much experimenting and lots of speaker positions, before you can write off the equipment, especially if it's well made. The set up should take precedence over everything else in the room.

Totally impossible. Show me one system that is as good in playing a piano, voice and a drum set in pitch, timbre, timing and dynamic.

Systems are agnostic in regard to what they're playing.
The higher the level of accuracy/fidelity, the closer the output will be to the recording (also known as garbage in, garbage out). The one caveat is the dispersion characteristics of the speakers (when the audio signal becomes three-dimensional).

But as mentioned earlier some types of distortion produce effects which are perceived as enhancing particular subjective qualities. A bit like a sound engineer uses EQ to enhance a studio mix.

If you have complaints about the perceived or subjective sound quality of a higher-fidelity system (technical or measured performance) then the first thing to look at is the recording. Having a dirtier window or using coloured sunglasses won't make a landscape any prettier, or a recording better, but it may mask some of its nasty qualities.

I mostly agree.... But I do believe setting up the system in the given room needs a lot of time with much experimenting and lots of time, before you can write off the equipment, especially if it's well made. The set up should take precedence over everything else in the room.
Fair point but in the case of speakers that were already in situ and had been set up for some years, plugging in amps and leaving them for a fortnight is ample time!

Fair point but in the case of speakers that were already in situ and had been set up for some years, plugging in amps and leaving them for a fortnight is ample time!
Agreed.... I just feel that more could have been had from that system. Also everyone has their own tastes, I guess.

The best, or should I say, most resalistic-sounding to my ears recording of a drum kit was a test made by PlayClassics using a pair of mics onto 2-channel.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...for-ca-members/?do=findComment&comment=488548

If you're not a member of Audiophilestyle or ASR, I am convinced that if you contact Mario directly at http://www.playclassics.com he'll gladly provide the samples and the SPL level adjustment track for setting up the volume. Ignore the realistic level setup if you are using tiny standmounts, perhaps ignore the test samples altogether because they only sound realistic when played loud.

For those used to studio mixes of pop and rock, this minimalist approach will sound very different and perhaps unexciting when compared with the more typical multi- and close-mic'ed kit:

KrCxwyw.jpg

advertisement

Back