advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
BN80 reissue. I love the tracks written by La Roca. Is Turkish Women At The Bath as good as this?

R-14642182-1578769707-1076.jpeg.jpg

Sleeve doesn't exactly scream HIP JAZZ!! - even in 1965 you imagine Roger's idea of a party was a glass of dry sherry.
Interesting record though - his playing reminds me a little of Ray Bryant at times and there can't have been many other LPs on Prestige featuring a track for prepared piano a la John Cage.

R-9825298-1486917161-8222.jpeg.jpg

It’s not but it is excellent. I have only ever found it on CD. It was rereleased under Chick Coreas name and those versions are easier to find
It is interesting that La Roca filed a law suit against Douglas Records because they issued it under Chick Coreas’ name without his permission and they had to recall them. Seems it was still issued later as a Chick Corea by Muse Records, but then called ‘Bliss’ and it is also available as later Chick Corea Spanish reissue called ‘Extasis’.

Due to the John McLaughlin thread I’ve had Remember Shakti Live in Bombay and Believer on Spotty tonight. Thanks chaps!

Little shopping today, Ministry: Moral Hygiene. Bottle green vinyl version limited to 300 copies. Sounds really good.

IMG-4299.jpg

MI0001577915.jpg

This was originally released in 1963 by Phillips. This is a recent Verve UK reissue, but not part of the AS Verve reissues, but seems to be a start of a new Verve reissue series called NewLand (numbered 001) Mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes and pressed by Pallas. I was a bit worried at first as there was a light scratch visible across one track, but it is totally inaudible and the sound quality on this reissue is fabulous with totally silent background even in the dead wax. Needed as this is melodic laid back jazz and on this mastering its like having the musician playing intimately in my room.
Mulligan, Art Farmer on Trumpet and Flugelhorn, Bob Brookmeyer on Trombone, Jim Hall Guitar, Bill Crow Bass and Dave Bailey drums. Wonderful quality solos particularly from Farmer and Mulligan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back