advertisement

Linn Lingo4

Lee Chitticks

Hi guys
Has anyone fitted a Lingo 4 themselves ? managed to bag pre owned one that seemingly has never been fitted all parts in sealed bags and fitting kit untouched on cards.Looks fairly straightforward with the fitting instructions supplied, any pitfalls to look out for ?
Regards Lee.

check out adam at hifiaf.

He managed to do more independently performed LP12 mods in a shorter period of time than, honestly, I think anyone in History. Including Ivor.

I fitted a Lingo 4 a while ago. Use an anti static strap and you may need to modify the wire strap, aka cross brace. Full instructions are available on the Cymbiosis website.
I changed from a Valhalla and found a huge improvement.

I fitted a Lingo 4 a while ago. Use an anti static strap and you may need to modify the wire strap, aka cross brace. Full instructions are available on the Cymbiosis website.
I changed from a Valhalla and found a huge improvement.

Thanks Brennus will take look @Cymbiosis,i am going from a Valhalla also. It did come with a new wiring strap packaged in the box.

Lingo 4? so the other 3 were crap (as I've experienced). Geddon clone bought of here for 90 quid made a monkey out of 1,2 & 3 that have passed briefly though here but now it's all
nonsense as they've sussed what AK sussed years ago? It's like Ivor and Boris have the same captive Audience,lol.

.....then they went on to the Radikal and now even that isn't good enough, the Emperors new clothes being in the form of Radikal 2.

Wonder how long until Radikal iterations catch up with Lingo ones!

Cross brace may need to be changed. Watched it being fitted but can't remember the difference in the brace. Dealer did it for free (on a used Lingo 4 too). Best of the 'affordable' upgrades. 4 years warranty left too.

Hi guys
Has anyone fitted a Lingo 4 themselves ? managed to bag pre owned one that seemingly has never been fitted all parts in sealed bags and fitting kit untouched on cards.Looks fairly straightforward with the fitting instructions supplied, any pitfalls to look out for ?
Regards Lee.

Be sure to replace the 4 metal stand-offs with nylon. Linn implemented this change in response to reports of ground loops with the metal ones. Also, the new ones are 15mm long vs 18mm for the original metal ones, to prevent the Lingo 4 board touching the Solid Base/Trampolinn on some decks.

Lingo 4? so the other 3 were crap (as I've experienced). Geddon clone bought of here for 90 quid made a monkey out of 1,2 & 3 that have passed briefly though here but now it's all
nonsense as they've sussed what AK sussed years ago? It's like Ivor and Boris have the same captive Audience,lol.
Well they are not as bad as another British company who have now had ten goes at getting a TT right, vw have also had eight tries at getting the golf right, you see where I’m coming from, it’s a progressive thing which is why there is R&D in everything. Don’t knock it if you can’t afford it.

Lingo 4? so the other 3 were crap (as I've experienced). Geddon clone bought of here for 90 quid made a monkey out of 1,2 & 3 that have passed briefly though here..

The 1, 2 and 3 were basically the same thing in different boxes. I too preferred transformer-based supplies. The 4 is completely different different, comes in an idiotic case with cables sticking out both ends for a start.

Finding useful opinions on how it sounds is difficult as the Linn sheeps just bleat that everything Linn make sounds wonderful. I expect it to sound better than the Valhalla, which I'm also not that keen on.

Why anyone gets excited about brands, either for or against is quite beyond me. I will only buy stuff that I have listened to and consider vfm.

I had constructed a transformer based power supply for my lp12 from a large variac and phase shift capacitors. During this “prototyping” stage I had the chance to buy a Lingo 4 at a good price, so that if I didn't like it it could be resold at little if any loss.

While the variac sounded much better than the Valhalla, the Lingo sounded better again, and so has stayed.

Just ordered a Lingo-4 to replace my Morse supply. I just hope Mr Pig is correct and the Lingo-4 is a new beast and an improvement.

.....then they went on to the Radikal and now even that isn't good enough, the Emperors new clothes being in the form of Radikal 2.

Wonder how long until Radikal iterations catch up with Lingo ones!

Well the Lingo has been in production for 32 years and is up to MK4 so Im going to go out on a limb and say major revisions come out about once every eight years.

Radikal 2 has taken 10 years to arrive, So Radikal 3 should be here in about 2030-2032.

At which point you can carp about how crap Linn are for 'continuously' upgrading their kit.

WAFDYA

I just hope Mr Pig is correct and the Lingo-4 is a new beast and an improvement.

It's a completely different thing, a 24v motor and power supply. I've heard the difference the Rega 24v motor kit makes over the old Airpax and it's big. Although the Rega kit and Neo outboard supply is only £400 and not £1,500 but hey, that's Linn for you!

Why anyone gets excited about brands, either for or against is quite beyond me. I will only buy stuff that I have listened to and consider vfm.

I agree up to a point. I virtually always buy used but there is some merit in buying branded kit. When I buy something I always have an eye on selling it again so I stick to items with a known reputation which I know I'll be able to sell. Well regarded products hold their value and you rarely loose much money, if any, should you sell on.

My problem with 'better' is that it's entirely subjective. The Lingo 4 might be 'better' than other supplies but that doesn't mean I'll like it.

[QUOTE="
Finding useful opinions on how it sounds is difficult as the Linn sheeps just bleat that everything Linn make sounds wonderful. I expect it to sound better than the Valhalla, which I'm also not that keen on.[/QUOTE]

More detail is the main thing compared to previous Lingo's.

I want the weight and solidity of the transformer supplies. The original Lingo had more detail but it was thin sounding.

Have you heard the different Lingo versions? I'm by no means a 'Linnie' (I only have the LP12) but the Lingo 2 had a significant sound improvement to Lingo 1 (to my ears) and when I upgraded, the sale of my Lingo 1 then the purchase of a s/h Lingo 2 meant a net outlay of around £100. Hardly significant. In fact I regarded at the time, the significance of the sound improvement from 1 to 2 being equivalent to a standard vs Keel subchassis. I didn't feel the Keel warranted the outlay and bought a cheaper Greenstreet Klone

More recently I heard the Lingo 4 and it is a big improvement on the Lingo 2. Around 75% of the improvement that you get from a Karousel

The Karousel is the best £ for £ Linn improvement I've ever heard and had fitted

Have you heard the different Lingo versions?

No. I really lost interest in everything Linn were doing around then as I didn't like anything they were making. I bought the Cirkus, didn't like it. Didn't like the Lingo. Didn't the like Keltik or their other new speakers. Didn't like their CD players or amplifiers. I felt they were going in a different direction, away from the sound of the older LP12 and 'classic' speakers, and it wasn't for me.

I'm still dubious about the Karousel. Most seem to love it but most loved the Cirkus as well but I thought I'm losing something here, which I think is more voluble than what I'm gaining. Is the Karousel the same? I don't know but I've seen a few people suggest that it is.

Mr Pig, I suggest that you audition the karousel, rather than be ‘dubious’ about it. You’ll never know the answer, until you do this. I just went ahead and had it fitted, without an audition, and feel it was the best upgrade to my mid- spec LP12 that I had had done. Better than going from the old bearing to the circus. Better than getting a Kore subchassis, new plinth, trampolin, Linn Krystal, etc. The only anomaly is the store Linn used to place in the importance of the bearing, suggestive that the original bearing could not be improved upon due to the high engineering tolerances, but we now have had two bearing upgrades since then!
I doubt that, once the Karousel was installed, you’d crave the older bearing. If you did go back to the older bearing(s) you’d then be instantly aware of what was missing! Some said the original to the Circus bearing was a retrograde step, but having done that too, I didn’t feel that that was the case, but the circus to Karousel was a step change again, in improving the perceived naturalness, integrity and intelligibility of the music, without having any obvious downsides.

advertisement

Back