advertisement

New Year's resolutions

That makes two of us. B*ll*cks to Covid.

Haha :D

Unfortunately I can't blame covid. I've been around 20-21 stone now for the last 10 years or so; carryover from all the powerlifting/weightlifting/stone lifting competing I've done as well as force of habit of staying this size!

I no longer compete due to neck injuries (still do a lot of heavy stone lifting though); so it's time to up the ante with cardio (hock ptooie) :D with a lot more walking & I'll be cutting my diet right back (so initially no carbs after lunch, no booze at all all through Jan and no snacks bar unsalted nuts and some fruits)

I'd like to get to 19 stone by end of feb and ideally down to 18 stone thereafter; I can cruise at that weight then :)

Having done it before my body reacts to it well. First few weeks are tough but then it settles; more so with training back on form

I've just finished the last of my Christmas selection boxes too haha ;)

My focus last year was on diet and exercise. Had really good results (large weight loss, easier digestion, less joint pain, etc.). 95% of our diet is vegetarian, and we are getting closer to being vegan. No longer eat cheese, but still eating a few eggs per week. Need to explore egg substitutes. Hopefully they have come as far as the soy-based meat and cheese products.

This year I am focused on increasing flexibility. Mrs. Hook and I now do a 30 minute gentle stretching (and isometric) routine nightly, right before bedtime. We started at the beginning of December and am feeling benefits. Am getting better sleep and waking up less stiff and sore.

To always finish off work by Friday at least, rather than catching up at the weekend.

Regarding the vegetarian talk, I've been vegetarian for some time (second time actually I was vegetarian ten years in the past), but I went a bit flexitarian. Only about 3 times a year. The eggs are not a problem for me because I get them from the neighbours chickens and they have a great life.

Drink less, exercise more, cook from scratch more.
Same here.. I made a good start last year, feel fitter and lost around 30lbs, so really more an issue of keeping it up than new resolutions

I'm also becoming increasingly vegetarian and will try harder this year, though don't think I could manage a full on vegan lifestyle.

I'd like to start running again but fear that impact sports are probably not for me at my time of life, so will stick to walking, swimming, light weights and exercises. It's all become a bit of an obsession so shouldn't be too difficult to keep up, general health permitting!

Same here.. I made a good start last year, feel fitter and lost around 30lbs, so really more an issue of keeping it up than new resolutions

I'm also becoming increasingly vegetarian and will try harder this year, though don't think I could manage a full on vegan lifestyle.

I'd like to start running again but fear that impact sports are probably not for me at my time of life, so will stick to walking, swimming, light weights and exercises. It's all become a bit of an obsession so shouldn't be too difficult to keep up, general health permitting!

Walking is generally acknowledged as the exercise that folk stick to.

Cut down on alcohol. The last year saw a definite increase in the frequency and quantity I drink and I'm determined to row it back at least to where I was a couple of years ago, and if that goes well then I may consider cutting it out entirely.
That's about it really. This year is gonna be really tough financially as I now have both kids at uni and am keeping them both in food and clothes etc. due to the student finance really only covering the cost of accommodation, plus prices are going up everywhere.

I've never made a New Year Resolution, always seemed like a poor choice of timing to try and quit something or start something new but I'm going to give 'getting fitter' a bash.

advertisement

Back