advertisement

New Year's resolutions

tiggers

pfm Member
Anyone out there have any good resolutions for 2022?

Last year I promised myself I'd lose weight and I did so this year I am resolving to be able to run 10K in a reasonable time by the end of the year. I haven't run properly for 37 years so it's going to be quite a challenge, but I'm looking forward to starting towards a reasonable level of fitness.

I am also going to try and go veggie by the end of the year. Currently I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish... so the fish needs to go. Plant based diet only... hmmmm... well I will try, but I think it will be a major challenge.

What is anyone else up to?

I'm also intending to get back into running and cycling this year as in 2021 I didn't actually do any runs and only only 1 cycle ride (I was getting my exercise just from dog walking and hill walking).

No specific targets but it'd be nice to get back to regularly doing sub 30 minute 5K's although it'd also be nice to get back to running 10K's as it's a good few years since I did one of those. I did a half marathon 4 years ago but switched my main exercise to cycling then to dog walking so haven't done a lot of running since.

When I previously got back into running a few years back I found that Couch to 5K worked well for me (C25K) so might consider doing that again but I'll decide after I do my first run and see just how bad I am!

@tiggers , well done losing weight last year. I did too, but not enough, so looking to continue the trend.

With regards vegetarianism can I offer some input as a 30 year veggie who turned Flexitarian a few years ago? Obviously we all make our choices for different reasons, so happy if you tell me to get my nose out… However, I’m finding that eating meat rarely (two or three times a month) works very well for me. I always missed steaks (never bacon!) and having a decent quality (hopefully well husbanded) cut every now and again is very enjoyable - and would, I think, be the sustainable way forward for us all.

Anyway, whatever you chose to do good luck with it, and very good luck aiming for a 10k run.

I'm not one for New Years resolutions but over the break I realised just how little I've seen of friends and family over the past year plus.

So my resolution for this year is to make a concerted effort to see more people and try and keep in touch a bit more.

(in a covid safe manner obvs)

@tiggers , well done losing weight last year. I did too, but not enough, so looking to continue the trend.

With regards vegetarianism can I offer some input as a 30 year veggie who turned Flexitarian a few years ago? Obviously we all make our choices for different reasons, so happy if you tell me to get my nose out… However, I’m finding that eating meat rarely (two or three times a month) works very well for me. I always missed steaks (never bacon!) and having a decent quality (hopefully well husbanded) cut every now and again is very enjoyable - and would, I think, be the sustainable way forward for us all.

Anyway, whatever you chose to do good luck with it, and very good luck aiming for a 10k run.

Cheers and I have wondered about eating meat occasionally (been veggie for a good few years now), but I am a massive animal lover and it just seems wrong to me which is why I stopped eating meat n the first place. I'm not preachy though so each to their own and even just reducing the amount of meat eaten helps with animal welfare and the environment so hopefully more people will do that in the future.

Good luck with continuing your weight loss.

I recommend making a resolution to make a resolution to make a New Year's resolution next year (rather than bothering with the current year).

I do this every year without fail. 100% success rate.

Decided to put my money where my mouth is so headed out on a short 2.5K shakedown run to see if I'd cope. While very slow (just under 7:30 minutes per km pace) at least:
  • I managed it without needing to stop, despite the first half being all uphill
  • My knee didn't give out (a serious concern)
  • I didn't have a heart attack (a reasonable concern)
  • I didn't lose my lunch (seemed like a certainty)
Despite the slow pace my average HR was pretty high at 164, which shows how unfit I am at the moment.

If nothing else then at least I'm ahead of 2021!

Never been one for NY Res but am determined to make sure in 2022 that running my IT business doesn’t start to gradually take over my quality of life like it did for so many years.

Keep going with getting better after a long illness and living healthier, managed to gradually get off BP meds last year and a reduction in the Diabetes meds so aiming to reduce or even get off those too this year. Post a follow up to this message which means I’ve made it to NY 2023.

I could probably do with drinking a little less, I stick to having 4 alcohol free days per week but find myself drinking more on the ‘on’ days.

I think this is probably a covid thing, a way of dealing with the added anxiety.

Good luck to all, especially those wanting to lead healthier lifestyles.

Nice one SteveG!!

For me, it's to cut back on the booze. Bottle of red every night (for years) is doing no good, so will try to cut it back, coupled with more running. Worked well last week, just need to keep it up with the return to work tomorrow etc.

• Lose weight (2-3 stone)
  • Get back into hill walking (so much so I've just bought myself some new Salewa walking boots)
  • Get up to Scotland more to lift more of the Manhood stones (Inver stone booked in for Feb already)
  • Push my business harder with an aim to double my income from 2021
  • Look to add some contracting-based recruitment work in (already spoken to a few large recruitment firms with PSLs for large digital platforms) and the RAC
  • Get passports renewed and try to get to Northern France with the wife to see the Normandy beaches etc

So just a few things :D

I resolve to finish more unfinished projects.

Specifically, I resolve to finish the guitar amp I'm almost done building, as well as two more for which I have chassis and cabinets.

Perhaps the public announcement of my resolution will shame me into actually following through. (Which I suppose is the whole point of a resolutions thread anyway...)

advertisement

Back