advertisement

What were your upgrades of 2021?

Pathos Classic One Mk III and a pair of Audio Physic Tempo 35 with the magnetic ‘levitating feet’;)
Next step, streamer and DAC (once I’ve been forgiven for blowing the furniture budget for the new house - and after we’ve actually bought the furniture). Thinking of maybe having a couple of DACs even.

Blimey, quite a few upgrades/changes between several systems… the big one being replacing my (very much loved) Rega P5/Neo with an LP12/Nima/Kore/Karousel/Lingo/Linto. Finally bought a proper RCM, an Okki Nokki one. Bought lots to try out in my second system (with a view to keeping what I love and moving the rest on), including a full active Linn Kaber system, a Meridian 507 CD player to try with some other Meridian kit I have, a Naim Nait-5i/CD-5i2, Ruark Talisman 2s. Well I love the Naim combo with the Ruark speakers, so that’s definitely staying… I love the Meridian stuff too. The Jury it out on the Kabers, I can hear why some people love them so much but they haven’t set my world alight. Before I move them on, I’ll try them in my main system in place of my active Ninkas, haven’t gotten round to it yet because stripping down and changing out tri-amped active speakers isn’t a trivial job, in reality it’s several hours of cramped and awkward work.

Buying a Project RCM finally… brilliant.

then taking the plunge and getting a Technics SL1500C bought from a lovely chap on the ‘Wam. Seriously impressed at the quality of the deck for the money, it’s revitalised my vinyl interest again along with the aforementioned RCM…

I got a Project RCM too - ace aren’t they!

Blimey, quite a few upgrades/changes between several systems… the big one being replacing my (very much loved) Rega P5/Neo with an LP12/Nima/Kore/Karousel/Lingo/Linto. Finally bought a proper RCM, an Okki Nokki one. Bought lots to try out in my second system (with a view to keeping what I love and moving the rest on), including a full active Linn Kaber system, a Meridian 507 CD player to try with some other Meridian kit I have, a Naim Nait-5i/CD-5i2, Ruark Talisman 2s. Well I love the Naim combo with the Ruark speakers, so that’s definitely staying… I love the Meridian stuff too. The Jury it out on the Kabers, I can hear why some people love them so much but they haven’t set my world alight. Before I move them on, I’ll try them in my main system in place of my active Ninkas, haven’t gotten round to it yet because stripping down and changing out tri-amped active speakers isn’t a trivial job, in reality it’s several hours of cramped and awkward work.

I’ve never liked Kabers. Having owned Talisman 2’s before, IMO they are hugely more musical.

This time last year I was building my latest power amp design which was first powered up on New Years Day and has been giving good results since.
I powered my main system up on Thursday to find my preamp has given up the ghost… I’ll fix it no problem (in the new year), but pulling it from my system to substitute another one in was a ball ache, more of a ball ache than actually fixing my preamp for me… keep thinking of building something myself because my preamp is definitely the bottleneck, sounds pretty decent it it’s own right but I have some seriously good sources components. I have an empty Linn LK box with buttons and a display window so I’m thinking of building something with a logic/arduino controlled resistor ladder and input switching (using relays)… could be an interesting project for the new year.

I’ve never liked Kabers. Having owned Talisman 2’s before, IMO they are hugely more musical.
Yeah, that’s what I’ve found, and what’s more, the Talisman 2s sound wonderful with really simple (albeit good quality) partnering kit, there’s something very refreshing about having a very simple system that can still deliver the goods, and I use it loads.

I do very much like the active Ninkas in my main system, but I just thought it’d be interesting to hear the Kabers in my dedicated listening space with really high quality sources.

On the main system, nothing but more music.

On the headphone/computer system, a Meridian Director DAC into a Heed Canamp to drive my HD600s.

I had a successful downgrade!

Instead of two mono amps per side driving low and high frequency sections of the speakers I now just have one mono amp driving both.

160 lbs lighter!

All purchases have been related to my LP-12,

Karousel bearing update
Ittok Mk-3 Arm (purchased from owner that only had his dealer change cartridges etc)
Dynavector XV1s Cartridge
new laminated top plate from HiFi-Guru in Australia

2020 changed the plinth for new HiFi-Guru plinth & early Stack Audio sub chassis made of Coran.

LP-12-small.jpg

Last edited:
H/F Aktiv cards for my Keilidhs from fellow pfm’er Stimpy. That, and furlough then set the ball rolling for…….

Karousel, Kore, Krystal, T-cable, Lingo 4, Trampolin 2, upgrades to my LP12.

Change burnt out Wakonda, for Selekt DSM. Line only with std dac.

Upgrade std dac to Katalyst on Selekt dsm.

Pro-ject RCM

Buy loads more vinyl.

Next in line will be CD upgrade.

I powered my main system up on Thursday to find my preamp has given up the ghost… I’ll fix it no problem (in the new year), but pulling it from my system to substitute another one in was a ball ache, more of a ball ache than actually fixing my preamp for me… keep thinking of building something myself because my preamp is definitely the bottleneck, sounds pretty decent it it’s own right but I have some seriously good sources components. I have an empty Linn LK box with buttons and a display window so I’m thinking of building something with a logic/arduino controlled resistor ladder and input switching (using relays)… could be an interesting project for the new year.
Good luck with that, I remember seeing an earlier post of a photo of your lk system, and I have an lk tri-amp system myself.
That should have been in your ‘swapping over speaker post’ which I guess didn’t happen yet !

I've been on a bit of a roll this year...

P3 (modded 'a bit') >>>> P8 + Apheta 3

Linn Kairn >>>> Icon Audio PS1 - Mkii

Linn LK140 >>>> 2 x Audiolab 8000MX's (Kevin Green modded/upgraded)

Linn Sara'a >>>> KEF R3's

Various MCRU power cables and interconnects.

Have also dipped my toe in the water with streaming via a CA DacMagic100

Basically the whole system has morphed into a completely new one as the upgradeitis has been itching badly.

Very happy with the system but of course there's always that nagging thought that another black-box/new cable/random gadget might help me on the way to audio nirvana!

I've gone a bit mad this year but the below will see me through for the next 10 years...

Out with the 272/555DR kept the NAP300/SL2s

New 282 - Used HCDR
New Node 2i - Qutest
New Mscaler
Used AR Lunar RCA - DIN
ND5XS2 replaced Node 2i
Used Naim DC1 BNC-BNC
New SCDR traded in HCDR
New Dave traded in Qutest
New 252 traded in 282
More Fraim

that’s it as I cannot afford a 552

Dave / 252DR is a game changer

Second setup - Added an ND5XS2 to the Nait 2/Allaes also have a pair of SBLs these will replace the Allaes in the New Year.

I upgraded the whole digital source.

Out:
- old BT router
- Synology NAS
- old MBP processing computer
- Cubox network bridge
- Teac DAC

In:
- wired router
- network switch
- Mac mini processing computer
- microRendu network bridge
- RME DAC

Change of power amp from Parasound A21 to Avondale Qudos NAP250.
SBT to Sonore Micro-Rendu + Teddy Pardo LPS,
Gustard X20u to Denafrips Pontus 2.
Van Damme Tour Grade speaker cable to Avondale Black Link.
All sourced from the classified section and fellow fishies.
Thanks everyone.

I suppose that my changes won’t be seen as upgrades really but they helped to re-engage me with music and my hifi. An A&R T21 tuner, a Rotel 970BX phono equaliser, an original Ortofon VM20 SE and some Van Damme Blue Pro cables. I think it was the refreshment of the equipment reminded me of what music is about. A reality check really.

Auralic Aries and Vega G2 to dCS Rossini and clock. Quite a jump in SQ.
Halcro pre-amp re-fettled by the makers..

Unless I win the lottery I'm done.

advertisement

Back