advertisement

How to use solderless bananas

Neil P

pfm Member
Hi, are there any videos or diagrams showing how to use these ...

3BJwv60.jpg

Fairly simple to use. First strip cable back, important not to leave it too long as you could cause a catastrophic short damaging the amplifier. If the cable isn't thick you may be able to double it back which will be more secure. If the cable is too thick to double up it definitely be secure.

Slacken or remove the screw from the top, make sure the "slug" is clear of the hole in side and push the cable through. Use the screw to to push the slug firmly against the cable in the hole. I use two pairs of pliers to ensure to cable is held firm.

The slug prevents the twisting of the screw damaging the bare wires.

The cable will normally have some way to mark the +ve strands, this may be either coloured or printed markings or a moulded stripe on the outer sleeve. Make sure you only fit red coloured plugs to the +ve strands at each end and on each cable. This makes sure that the phase of the signal is correct on both speakers. If in doubt post a picture of the cable for advice.

Er, yes, that’s where the bare copper goes into!
Edit: we posted at the same time Mutty :)

Thankyou. Despite being obvious to you folks, having never used or seen these plugs I was unsure. Also I had assumed the hole underneath was also an option for cable entry
GOISffN.jpg

So, the hole in the bottom is not to be used? (Please excuse the pun)

By the look of it you can stick an additional banana plug in the other hole if you want to run additional speakers in parallel (amp permitting)

They are obviously utterly pointless if you have binding posts as you are effectively just stacking binding posts! I’d personally recommend good soldered plugs every time.

They are obviously utterly pointless if you have binding posts as you are effectively just stacking binding posts! I’d personally recommend good soldered plugs every time.

No doubt, but I don't have a soldering iron (or the time to learn to use one) and needed a quick way to connect some cable to my desktop system.

Thankyou. Despite being obvious to you folks, having never used or seen these plugs I was unsure. Also I had assumed the hole underneath was also an option for cable entry
GOISffN.jpg

That helps explain your confusion, the ones I've used in the past didn't have the hole in the top. So my instructions didn't refer to it.

Hope you are sorted now

That helps explain your confusion, the ones I've used in the past didn't have the hole in the top. So my instructions didn't refer to it.

Hope you are sorted now

This post combined with my one about stripping wire has me all set ... to try the job over xmas. Need a stiff drink and a quiet house :)

advertisement

Back