advertisement

New Mission 770!

Ptah

pfm Member
Briefly mentioned elsewhere on pfm but needs its own thread.

The new Mission 770 – a classic speaker reborn (sponsored) - Bing video

I'm curious about the What HiFi sponsored article. I've had a brief google without success. Has anyone got a link to how it is organised? Although What HiFi are perfectly open about being paid by the manufacturer to create the article about their product (assuming that is what sponsored means?) it still seems to me to be rather damaging to the What HiFi brand. What HiFi didn't seem to be taking a neutral view in the presentation (but perhaps it is relative?). Does anyone else think it a bit odd or just me?

Briefly mentioned elsewhere on pfm but needs its own thread.

The new Mission 770 – a classic speaker reborn (sponsored) - Bing video

I couldn't afford these at the time, preferred by some critics in 1980 to the Isobarik... might be interested!

Comeau: Rebooted Mission 770 Loudspeaker Ready to Launch in January - SoundStage! Talks (December 2021) - Bing video

No word on price - my guess is £2k. Made in the UK, which with current supply issues might make them cheaper than if made in C****.
My guess is double that - probably £3995 excluding stands.

I know little about the marketing side of things but the IAG retro 3 way Linton seems to be doing OK at £1.25k so wouldn't an IAG retro 2 way be expected to be priced a bit less at perhaps £1k if it is to sell in reasonable volumes? Or is the Mission brand seen as more upmarket than Wharfedale? I would have judged them about the same.

So £1k, £2k and £4k. Anyone fancy another number?

Thought that the old 770’s sounded great on the end of a friend’s musical fidelity A100, and LP12/Ecos 1/Linn m/c, back in the day, playing walk across the rooftops by the Blue Nile, but that was then, and things have moved on, so now probably sound less impressive.
I expect the new 770’s will bear little resemblance to the old ones, just as the new Wharfdale Linton doesn’t share anything, but the name, with the old Lintons.

Were'nt the original 770's not in a higher "class" than the original Lintons?
I've actually owned both - original and new - I recently had a pair of 770's who's bass unit literally cracked up due to age and volume.

I've actually owned both - original and new - I recently had a pair of 770's who's bass unit literally cracked up due to age and volume.
Yes, I believe the Lintons at the time of the 770's launch were closer to the budget end of the market and the 770's were in Spendor BC1 territory.The latest Spendor equivalent to the BC1, the Classic 1/2 is almost an astonishing £6K albeit now a 3 way.
Bearing in mind the new 770 will be made in the UK, perhaps my original guess of £3995 is a tad on the low side.
Perhaps £4995.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mission-770-mk1s.262162/#post-4551110

The real thing for £300. No connection with sale.

A great speaker. I still have a pair here and used them as my main speakers for maybe 15 years ish. Much better than Isobariks of course, as Paul Messenger said all those years ago. I doubt there will be anything in common between the old and new sound wise though.

I've always thought it odd that a speaker with such provenance and reputation combined with interesting styling etc failed to become a sought after and appreciating classic...

Hard to compare because the Linton was largely before the audiophile phenomenon entered the mainstream and the 770s after. The 770s would thus have received lots of emotive gushing praise in the press compared to the Lintons but so did plenty of other hardware of the time. Not sure how much this affects the value for current marketing particularly given the audiophile phenomenon is still firmly entrenched. The Missions would seem to have an edge though.

Both the Wharfedale and Mission brands have developed as high volume budget brands. IAG tried to sell medium priced speakers under the Wharfedale brand but they all seemed to disappear fairly quickly without much comment. For home speakers they looked good value to me but they clearly didn't work in the market. The impression I have picked up (anyone got numbers?) is that the modestly priced retro Linton is getting better traction.

If IAG do try selling the 770 at a high price then they would possibly have to get rid of the current budget Mission speakers and hope potential customers don't notice/remember what the brand currently represents. It is possible given how vital brands are in providing the value required for a high price. My guess though is that it will follow the Linton route in being priced at the top of a budget range. I could be wrong and it would be a lot more interesting to observe if I am.

I may be wrong but I believe the original 770 was around 3 times the price of the Linton at the time.
If the new Linton is around £1.25k including stands and made in China, then it may well be that the new 770 excluding stands and made in the UK could be £4k perhaps £5k.
I also believe they will be voiced to be a tad more livelier than the Linton Heritage - of course, I may be wrong and hope they are cheaper than £4k.

I may be wrong but I believe the original 770 was around 3 times the price of the Linton at the time.

Was the Linton launched in 65 still being sold when the 770 came out in 78? I am not disputing the price difference given the old established UK companies were all pretty much going out of business at this time due to prices and volumes from healthier times. The new UK audio companies were a lot more savvy in terms of marketing and pricing enabling them to make better headway against the Asian products.

If the new Linton is around £1.25k including stands and made in China, then it may well be that the new 770 excluding stands and made in the UK could be £4k perhaps £5k.

Can you explain the reasoning? I thought the video said the IAG factory in the UK was going to be new? I can see that made in the UK will go down well in Asia in terms of marketing allowing a higher price but a new factory here compared to a new factory in China shouldn't be much different particularly given the direction UK industry is likely to be going. Lost infrastructure will mean things like decent wooden cabinets will be more pricey though so it won't be quite the same. Of course if they don't intend to manufacture and sell close to the volumes of the Linton then the price could be pretty much anything particularly if they opt for heavy audiophile marketing. But with what the Mission brand means today?

I also believe they will be voiced to be a tad more livelier than the Linton Heritage - of course, I may be wrong and hope they are cheaper than £4k.

If they do choose to sell at a high price it will be interesting to see what they do about the cone. Large resonant cones have largely disappeared from the market for reasons of technical performance. A few still survive in retro speakers like Audio Note, Harbeth and the like and so will they go for retro sound as well as retro looks? Interesting stuff.

Was the Linton launched in 65 still being sold when the 770 came out in 78? I am not disputing the price difference given the old established UK companies were all pretty much going out of business at this time due to prices and volumes from healthier times. The new UK audio companies were a lot more savvy in terms of marketing and pricing enabling them to make better headway against the Asian products.

Can you explain the reasoning? I thought the video said the IAG factory in the UK was going to be new? I can see that made in the UK will go down well in Asia in terms of marketing allowing a higher price but a new factory here compared to a new factory in China shouldn't be much different particularly given the direction UK industry is likely to be going. Lost infrastructure will mean things like decent wooden cabinets will be more pricey though so it won't be quite the same. Of course if they don't intend to manufacture and sell close to the volumes of the Linton then the price could be pretty much anything particularly if they opt for heavy audiophile marketing. But with what the Mission brand means today?

If they do choose to sell at a high price it will be interesting to see what they do about the cone. Large resonant cones have largely disappeared from the market for reasons of technical performance. A few still survive in retro speakers like Audio Note, Harbeth and the like and so will they go for retro sound as well as retro looks? Interesting stuff.

advertisement

Back