advertisement

Concordant Excelsior - who knows about history of this pre?

Houston, the Concordant has a problem: the high voltage capacitor of the power supply was leaking for some time, now it’s dead...very dead.

I suspect it was a LCR 220uf 400 or 450 v cap. What’s best choice to replace this cap? Voltage, capacity are a given maximum high and diameter too. LCR is Kemet nowadays, maybe buy from their shelf? The heater caps are Philips series 56, still available by Kemet. They measure good, but once I’m in...

-> Any experience with cap changing and recommendations for the high voltage cap to keep the sound signature of the amp?

Thanks for reading and sharing.

Interesting thread, I used to have an Excelsior pre, visited Doug Dunlop three times, a delightful eccentric character.

Pretty certain the cap in the psu was LCR, I do remember that the HT was 400v or possibly 450v.

Doug was always tweaking and tinkering with his amps, he didn't go in for boutique components though, one odd feature was the continuous earth loop, going from pot to pot which went against the grain.
But it did work.

There is an ‘Exquisite’ with separate valve power supply for sale on AOS at the minute, complete with wooden sleeve. Very tempting.

Hi all, Im new on here so if Im putting this post in the incorrect place can somebody shout . Im also a novice on electronics although I have done some modifications on a velleman 100 w valve amp . So I have a concordant excelsior and I also have the original doug dunlop circuit drawing for the excelsior . I also have the drawing for the exquisite . So my problem is that last year I tested my valves . Not long after I became ill. Im now fit again and played my hi-fi and found that no sound was coming from phono . Dismanted the preamp and found I hadnt any valve in the power supply . Im not sure if I intended to replace it due to readings on the tester or what - Dont laugh! Trouble is Im not sure what the valve should be . The valve in Doug's drawing is a 6FQ7 . However my circuit is slightly different to his and im nervous about inserting this into the circuit unless someone can advise me thats its ok to do so....... if someone can help how do I load photos onto here

E180CC in my excelsior PS!
Thanks for the reply . Is your power supply the explicit . If so is there any chance of a photo of the capacitors that are close to the valve . I’m looking for a solid state device that isn’t in a lot of the preamps but it is in mine and located close to the valve and capacitor . If yours has this layout then it stands a good chance I should be using the same valve -many thanks David

Hi all, Im new on here so if Im putting this post in the incorrect place can somebody shout . Im also a novice on electronics although I have done some modifications on a velleman 100 w valve amp . So I have a concordant excelsior and I also have the original doug dunlop circuit drawing for the excelsior . I also have the drawing for the exquisite . So my problem is that last year I tested my valves . Not long after I became ill. Im now fit again and played my hi-fi and found that no sound was coming from phono . Dismanted the preamp and found I hadnt any valve in the power supply . Im not sure if I intended to replace it due to readings on the tester or what - Dont laugh! Trouble is Im not sure what the valve should be . The valve in Doug's drawing is a 6FQ7 . However my circuit is slightly different to his and im nervous about inserting this into the circuit unless someone can advise me thats its ok to do so....... if someone can help how do I load photos onto here

It would be great if you could share circuit diagrams. I had 6CG7 in my Exhilarant PS and 5965 followers.

My excelsior is the later version with two input level pots on the right side of the front panel. It uses 3 ecc83 for phono stage, 2 ecc83 for line stage. PSU is the external one but w/o a name tag on it, so it might be a version of the explicit. It features two bridge rectifier (12,6v heater voltage stabilized by a lm xx, high voltage involves a e180cc valve for whatsoever), two caps for the 12v, one cap for the high voltage. Hope it helps :)

Thanks for the reply . Is your power supply the explicit . If so is there any chance of a photo of the capacitors that are close to the valve . I’m looking for a solid state device that isn’t in a lot of the preamps but it is in mine and located close to the valve and capacitor . If yours has this layout then it stands a good chance I should be using the same valve -many thanks David

My excelsior is the later version with two input level pots on the right side of the front panel. It uses 3 ecc83 for phono stage, 2 ecc83 for line stage. PSU is the external one but w/o a name tag on it, so it might be a version of the explicit. It features two bridge rectifier (12,6v heater voltage by a lm xx, high voltage involves a e180cc valve for whatsoever), two caps for the 12v, one cap for the high voltage. Hope it helps :)

Hi -I will post Doug’s circuit diagram on here after Christmas when I find out how to load it . Looking at his circuit diagram I’m thinking this is the same as the photo of the power supply loaded on the TNT website . I’m also trying to draw my circuit which is slightly different in as much the second half of the valve isn’t used but he adds an extra capacitor and voltage regulator ( part no P9NK50ZFP). Don’t know if this is a one off or not. Doug’s circuit diagram for the larger box explicit power supply shows one 22k resistor between pins 1and2 of a 6FQ7 valve and the same resistor between pins 6 and 7 . If anybody can advise as to the wattage of these 2 resistors I would be grateful and if anybody has a voltage regulator and 3 capacitors on the high voltage side of their preamp please let me know Appreciated as I cannot use it currently

P9NK50ZFP is a power mosfet...
I have decided to change my circuit to Doug’s normal circuit diagram and do away this part P9NK50ZFP but I will post Doug’s circuit and also the circuit that Doug used on mine and maybe you could educate me why this part was being used and the difference between the 2 circuits . (There is only a diff of 3 components ) Many thanks

I haven’t found anyone yet who has this part in their excelsior power supply so I’m guessing it’s probably a Doug one off

I haven’t found anyone yet who has this part in their excelsior power supply so I’m guessing it’s probably a Doug one off

That is very likely,he was always tweaking it on a weekly or nightly basis ,mad professor !
I do miss him .

advertisement

Back