advertisement

Kitchen knives…

RoyleBlue

pfm Member
…now that our household consists of just my wife and I, we are looking at getting a decent set of kitchen knives. We currently have an ageing set of of ProCooks and we like the look of the newer X50 range. Any knowledgeable thoughts much appreciated.

I have a set of Wusthof Ikon's with the blackwood handles. Love them. Really nice feel overall and super sharp. These are a good balance between a Japanese and German knife for me and are fairly easy to keep sharp.

I sent all mine off (some of them 20 years old) to Knifesharp, who gave them a new lease of life. Cheaper than buying new ones. But I do like the new Jap one I bought at Homesense the other day. Not sure of the brand as it was all hieroglyphics.

I think, for most home cooking, a selection of ProCooks and a decent steel is more than adequate. The more expensive knives tend to have softer steel which is easier to sharpen well, but it will also dull more quickly.

I would have said visit Tkmaxx and look at the knives but last time I was in they had nothing, but when they do you can get some bargins.

All you need a a small paring knife a 8" cooks knife/santoku and may be a carving knife, my wife prefers a smaller santoku.

Sets give you knives you will never use so just but what you need.

Pete

We 'discovered' the joy of 'sharp' cooks knives in a holiday let a couple of years ago. When we got home we bought some Sabatier knives in the local Dunelm. Just 3 - a biggish Cooks type, a small utility and a long Carving one. And they are not expensive. My sister in law bought some for her husband having used ours one day.

We are obviously not knife snobs - but these things are still sharp and wonderful. We keep them in their plastic holders that have built in edge keep - seems to work! And that way they are safe in the drawer too. We still have a collection of older knives on a mag rack on the wall too. That length of mag rack is in its 3rd house now - and is older than our marriage!

We have a few knives that we use in the kitchen.

I mostly use my Global G-5, it keeps a good edge and feels nice

I wouldn’t bother buying a complete knife set, personally I use a Kai santoko knife for practically everything and a small/cheap paring knife for everything else.

Kai’s are quite spendy but worth it if you’re a keen cook, very good at holding an edge and easy to keep razor sharp with an appropriate stone.

Robert Welch santoku knifes can be bought for around £40 and I’ve previously bought them for friends as presents, all have been well received and they are available in a range of lengths

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71154/Robert-Welch-Signature-Santoku-17cm-Knife

My go to knife is a rehandled cheap single bevel santoko, it has a fake hamon when I got it, but I cleaned it off and stuck a nice wallnut handle on that a soaked in Danish oil.
It now has a very nice ballance and holds a good edge, plus it was only £7.99 from Tkmaxx.

Pete

We've built up a set of Henckel Professional S knives over the past 20-odd years. They're still doing the job. Most of them, to be fair, are B-grade that we bought in TK Maxx. None of those B-grade knives have anything visible wrong with them. So keep an eye on TK Maxx for such things.

We also have a lone Global knife that's definitely a class down (even if it looks cool), though it's still useful on occasion.

I fancy a posh Japanese folded steel knife one day, but every time the KAS raises its ugly head, I baulk at the cost of one of the 'proper' ones, and put that KAS back in its box....

We use the Robert Welch signature range knives mainly (some bought at the Good Food show, some at Lakeland and some even from TKmax). As mentioned above the Santoku is excellent.

Knowing what I know now I would happily buy the shitest knives. I blagged a tormek sharpening system on free cycle and my
Knives which were bloody sharp are now lethal yeah!

but for me victorioux or similar the kitchen knives market is nearly as silly as everything else men buy

I just bought a pair of used Japanese 6" knives. Ones a thick blade Kikutora 'Deba' single bevel fish knife and the others lighter general purpose. High carbon content Steele.

Along with a wet sharpening block (and proper technique) it's pretty much all the knives I need in the kitchen...

SKESyET.jpeg

7Ck2Z63.jpeg

Knowing what I know now I would happily buy the shitest knives. I blagged a tormek sharpening system on free cycle and my
Knives which were bloody sharp are now lethal yeah!

A free Tormek!!!!! Flippin' heck, that is a serious score, well done ..... dammit.

A free Tormek!!!!! Flippin' heck, that is a serious score, well done ..... dammit.

I know, I know. Still cannot believe it. I have a bunch of chisels as well. I mean to be fair I never use them, but now they are like super sharp redundant.

Came with truing jig, 90 degree jig, curved chisel jig, mult jig and I purchased a knife sharpening jig and stone, so in all it cost me 50 quid. I love it, but have ran out of things to sharpen.

008i3skNgy1gvmbgujhpjj60hs0dcq5202.jpg

advertisement

Back