advertisement

Sit/Stand desks

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
Dodgy back and sciatica mean I am thinking about investing in an electric sit/stand desk.

The ones I've seen at work are flimsy wobbly things.

Anyone here use one? If so, any recommendations for one which is robust and doesn't wobble around all over the place?

cheers

Avoid the electric ones. Sooner or later, the motors go, and you’re left with a regular desk or a repair bill. (A workspace I used to use had a lot of these)

In my own office, I have a manual, weighted desk, which is relatively easy to adjust. I just checked the old invoice, and it’s the “Float” model by Humanscale.

If you’re mostly going to stand, make sure you get a soft mat to stand on. Unfortunately, the kind of mat that’s best for a wheeled chair is the kind that’s worst for standing on, so you’ll have to get used to swapping in and out. Search for “standing mat” - these are relatively cheap.

Also, if you use a desktop PC, it will either have to go on top, or you can fix a cradle-mount underneath the desk-board to hold it (my setup). Leaving it on the floor isn’t a great option, because sooner or later you’ll pull a cable too far that didn’t want to be pulled...

Some of my colleagues have bought manual stand-up lifters that sit on a regular desk. Can't name the model but they seem pretty solid and they work in a domestic environment - collapse to very little in sit down mode. I looked at them - but they are not big enough to carry 2 monitors and keyboard. And I like to have a pad a paper to hand too.

never had a sit/stand desk as such, but i did stand most of the time on site as needed full access to drawings, specs etc. it was better for my back than being seated, think constant movement helps imo

sddefault.jpg

Normally, these are sold as workshop benches but I saw you coming, described it "Artisan" and slapped a zero on the price. :p

I have had various back problems over the years. When office based I have access to one of those kneeling chair things - seems to work for me - it throws the back into a better position. But I do find myself fiddling with the knee position quite a lot.

"giving you additional room for a treadmill underneath whilst standing."

Er, yeah. In my experience (used to have to use hipster workspaces), “standing” is all that ever happens on these treadmills.

I have a sit / stand desk….but the desk is fixed height (High) and sturdy…..I use a Herman miller draughtsman chair. Desk is made from an old bit of oak, sanded and oiled with some legs from ikea. ‘Thrifty’

We have used electric stand desks in the house fro 5 years now never an issue not sure the post about motors breaking.

I got an autonomy pro from ergo desks. My advice is dont get the desks where the legs get thinner at the bottom, get the ones where they go thinner at the top.

advertisement

Back