advertisement

Good value port

Tesco’s tawny is very nice with a slice of fruit cake and a sliver of Stilton.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255247179
Seconded - I have tried it.

A notably better port (to my taste) also from the Symington family if the budget could stretch to £15, is the currently discounted Grahams 10YO Tawny at Graham's 10 Year Old Tawny Port, 75 cl : Amazon.co.uk: Grocery. There's one of these chez moi for the season (and a rather more expensive 1999 Colheita too if something more interesting gets called for).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
also from the Symington family

not sure why that matters. I'd avoid if possible for their aggressive takeovers of smaller houses. Plenty of smaller houses like Fonseca, Kopke (the oldest port wine house in Porto), etc......
Vinhos Quinta Do Noval,

We've got a about a dozen bottles laying down somewhere, mostly vintage including a bottle of 1963 Taylor. We also have a Kopke colheita from 1965 (my birth year) which should be ok, the harvest was good. We've had loads of Colheita's (just a label for a single harvest port wine, as opposed to blended). I always check the harvest reports when buying a colheita, some are not good and are better in a blended port wine.

This is decent stuff if you can stretch to the offer price of £15.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/grahams-crusted-port-75cl
Just got a bottle of that from the local Sainsbugs, thanks for the recommendation. I’d picked up a couple of 50cl bottles of Taylors LBV on a recent excursion to Majestic, but that looks like a bargain, and if it sits there unmolested for a year or two, that’s fine by me too. We don’t drink much Port, Christmas is when it most often comes out, so the smaller bottles and LBV make sense for that purpose and I can save the crusted for an occasion when there are enough of us to do it justice.

I used to enjoy fortified wines but these days they just give me a headache. I now stick to ordinary wine, beer, whisk(e)y and gin: off now for my post dinner coffee with a double Suntory Hakushu on ice :). Hic.

Just poured myself a Taylor’s 10 year Tawny. Nice complex taste, very moreish but not a good idea as it probably gives you a complex hangover too. Stick to one bottle is my advice…

Just got a bottle of that from the local Sainsbugs, thanks for the recommendation. I’d picked up a couple of 50cl bottles of Taylors LBV on a recent excursion to Majestic, but that looks like a bargain, and if it sits there unmolested for a year or two, that’s fine by me too.
I think you’ll like it. I’ve had a bottle lying in the cellar for about three years - I must get round to drinking it.

FWIW I tried the Graham’s Crusted and Six Grapes pretty much side by side a few years back. I much preferred the former.

Last edited:
Waitrose own tawny is very nice, their champagne is superb, bit different but they sell a fizzy Merlot which is the dogs bananas, great choice instead of boring whites with turkey.
Shame I don’t drink any more..

My Xmas treat is a bottle of something fizzy to share, and a large Baileys poured over ice cream.
In forest far to dangerous to drink even a single dram when visiting friends, tiny windy roads with dangerous potholes.
I did classic cliche of swerving to avoid a doe and fawn late at night on blind bend and ended with skoda on roof having taken out electricity post, and me hanging from seatbelt, without a scratch. Car was properly dead though.

Waitrose own tawny is very nice, their champagne is superb, bit different but they sell a fizzy Merlot which is the dogs bananas, great choice instead of boring whites with turkey.
Shame I don’t drink any more..

I have tried a fizzy Merlot and while it was ok I really struggled to get my head round the concept and it just seemed a bit odd.

On the port front I've got a bottle of the 20 year old Graham's Tawny in the sales recently in the sales and have also got a bottle of their 6 grapes coming as well, as I've had that before and liked it. I tend to stick with the Graham ports as it's my surname. When we were in Porto a few years back I had a look for connections with the name:

172179085.VX7AeMss.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Usually find the odd bottle of port is a great chrimbo present, how much is the 6 grapes and who retails it, sounds interesting.
My fave tipple usually with Xmas dinner is some Tokay or ice wine desert wine, iether as aperatif or a little poured over ice cream.

advertisement

Back