advertisement

Razors

stevec67

pfm Member
Remember the lengthy discussion of razors and shaving a few years back? I was very kindly given a Gillette razor from the 60's by a fishie, and use it still. Thanks again. Anyway, that's been my favourite and I've been using cheap disposables for hotel duties in the week for convenience. Airport security don't like open blade razors. However the dispos I have been using have dried up and I think it's time to buy another DE razor and a pack of Feathers. Any recommendations?

vuk, was king of the razor discussions wasn’t he, not seen him about recently, hope all is well. I use Feathers with a Gillette Rocket variant and recommend them both unreservedly. Will need to be a vintage as I don’t think they are made any more sadly.

Antiquated, and a pollutant (especially disposable ones), use an electric razor, where the blades or handles do not need to be 'recycled (landfilled)' as often.

I use my Merkur Futur almost daily. I like the ability to adjust exactly how much of your face you wish to slice off.

I hated my Futur, from the slippy handle to the oversized, unbalanced head. I had a ‘50s Gillette Fatboy for a while, and that was a nice razor, but I was mostly using it on the most aggressive setting making the adjustability surplus to requirements.

I use an Ikon OSS most days, with a Mongoose AC single edge to mix it up. I have a nice olive wood Muhle Kosmo for the days when I fancy being cosseted rather than skinned alive.

I’ve been using the Jagger £20(ish) DE for well over 10 years with Astra Platinum blades.

I hated my Futur, from the slippy handle to the oversized, unbalanced head. I had a ‘50s Gillette Fatboy for a while, and that was a nice razor, but I was mostly using it on the most aggressive setting making the adjustability surplus to requirements.

I use an Ikon OSS most days, with a Mongoose AC single edge to mix it up. I have a nice olive wood Muhle Kosmo for the days when I fancy being cosseted rather than skinned alive.

Funny isn’t it how ymmv! I like the weight, and the fact that you can almost let it do it’s own thing. I have the mat finish one. I don’t find it in the least bit slippy!

I take it your avatar is the post-shave self-portrait.

Steve, it's a shame The Traditional Shaving Company closed their shop in The Grand Arcade in Leeds. I went there and tried the weight and balance of a variety of razors, and chose a Mohle. Check their website and perhaps give them a call. They may let you visit their warehouse on Roseville Road to try a few. They do blades, including Feather, at a good price too.
I'd been going down the multi-blade route since my wife bought me a fancy shaving set in the 80s, but got fed up with the ever-increasing cost of blades. I found my 1960s Gillette and a pack of Wilkinson Sword blades at the back of a drawer a few years ago, gave it a try and went back to d/e permanently.

Last edited:
Remember the lengthy discussion of razors and shaving a few years back? I was very kindly given a Gillette razor from the 60's by a fishie, and use it still. Thanks again. Anyway, that's been my favourite and I've been using cheap disposables for hotel duties in the week for convenience. Airport security don't like open blade razors. However the dispos I have been using have dried up and I think it's time to buy another DE razor and a pack of Feathers. Any recommendations?

That was a great thread :)

Suitably inspired at the time, I bought a Merker Futur and latterly one of these little travel-razors. I gave up on the Futur and moved it on rather swiftly. Still have the little travel-razor years later - and have to say I find it pretty close to perfect - gives a good close shave without being aggressive to the point where one wrong move and you bleed like a stuck pig. Contrary to the received wisdom at the time, I've always found whether you cut yourself or not is primarily down to the difference in the razor heads - not the difference in blades.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/merkur-travel-razor-open-comb.html

Antiquated, and a pollutant (especially disposable ones), use an electric razor, where the blades or handles do not need to be 'recycled (landfilled)' as often.
We’re talking Wet Shaving here. No landfill and take the blades down the tip for recycling

We’re talking Wet Shaving here. No landfill and take the blades down the tip for recycling

Yes, antiquated.

1. Do you think the majority of people take their old blades to the tip for recycling?
2. Do you think everything at the tip is recycled?

Yes, antiquated.

1. Do you think the majority of people take their old blades to the tip for recycling?
2. Do you think everything at the tip is recycled?
Personally, electric shavers result in my getting in-grown hairs, this is why I returned to wet shaving.

Most electrics that people use today are rechargeable. How long do these last (the batteries fade over time) and what happens to the batteries and plastic when the shaver is done? Which process involves more carbon? (I don’t know but it’s not a given that electric is bound to be more environmentally friendly)

advertisement

Back