advertisement

Good value port

ex brickie

pfm Member
I’d like to buy myself a reasonably priced bottle of port for Christmas. Ideally £10 or less but I dont mind slightly more if there’s something special

Looking on supermarket websites there seem to be several who are discounting by anything up to a fiver but which is the Best Buy? The easiest for me to get would be a bottle from Tesco or Morrison’s as they are the closest to me. But I have family who have other supermarkets close by.

Recommendations please?

How lon* will a bottle of port be ok after open8ng, I started a Graham’s crUsty last Xmas and have half of it left in the cupboard? So far google says weeks not months but it tastes ok, can’t recall how different so might buy another bottle to compare

anyway another recommendation for the Graham’s crusty, tastes very nice and lasts for ages

crusted should be decanted. LBV doesn't need decanting, both should keep for about 3 months. Vintage needs decanting and drinking immediately.

"Crusted is a blend of excellent young ports from two or three harvests, bottled without any fining or filtration. The legislation only allows the bottling date to feature on the label. These Ports were aged in bottle for three years before being offered for sale. Crusted Port derives its name from the fact that, exactly like Vintage Port, it will throw a “crust† or natural deposit with bottle age. As with Vintage Port, the wine should be stored lying down and will require decanting prior to serving. Crusted Port, although excellent for drinking at the time of release (i.e. 3 years after bottling), will also age gracefully for several years in bottle. The bottle ageing allows this wine to develop the magnificent bouquet and flavour which is unique to bottle matured wines. This style of Port wine offers an excellent value alternative to Vintage Port.

Late Bottled Vintage, like Vintage Port, is a wine of a single year but it is not a “declared† Vintage Port. Whereas Vintage Port spends only two years in casks and then matures in bottle, LBV is aged in casks and then bottled with a light filtration at between four and six years old. At the time of bottling it has completed its maturation and is ready for drinking without the need for decanting."

This is useful

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/dec/30/port-wine-food-and-drink

Sorry OP please aim for something around £20 if you can. At £10 after profits and tax etc you'll probably be buying about £2 worth of port.

How lon* will a bottle of port be ok after open8ng, I started a Graham’s crUsty last Xmas and have half of it left in the cupboard? So far google says weeks not months but it tastes ok, can’t recall how different so might buy another bottle to compare

anyway another recommendation for the Graham’s crusty, tastes very nice and lasts for ages
Google is right, it doesn't normally keep for a year. Taste it, if it's still OK to you crack on. It won't hurt you, it's just past its best.

Warre’s Warrior has been consistent over the years. Around £15.

Apologies to those who already know, but just be aware that, like vintage port, crusted port needs decanting, so bear that in mind when choosing.

Edit: took so long to check pricing on Warrior others have already pointed this out.

Ok I’d prefer not to have to decant. I do t drink it often but when I get the urge, I’d like to pour and drink

Graham's Six Grapes is pretty good and is usually about £15. I think I got the recommendation here on pfm several years ago.

Ok I’d prefer not to have to decant. I do t drink it often but when I get the urge, I’d like to pour and drink

Lots of good LBVs in your price range if you find them discounted in the supermarkets, which you likely will this time of year. You can’t go wrong with Taylor’s, Graham’s or Warre’s. As mentioned above there are also the specials such as Warrior, and Graham’s Six Grapes which seem to be consistently good.

Decanting isn’t really a problem - all you need is a coffee filter paper (preferably unbleached, but it isn’t vital) a funnel and a jug. Then rinse the bottle out and pour the port back in. If you don’t have a coffee filter paper you could try a hanky (see here...)

http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1726

Decanting isn’t really a problem - all you need is a coffee filter paper (preferably unbleached, but it isn’t vital) a funnel and a jug. Then rinse the bottle out and pour the port back in. If you don’t have a coffee filter paper you could try a hanky (see here...)

http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1726

Yup. Ideally lay the bottle on its side, without moving it for a good few days first. Then carefully stand to around 60 degrees keeping the down side down. Pull the cork, then slowly tip three quarters of the wine into your jug/decanter without filtering. Then insert the coffee filter and carefully pour the remainder.

A faff, but worth it I think.

i do not know if i was unfortunate, or a bad cork puller as i have had a couple where the cork was breaking up.
so now i always lay them down.

Some are worse than others. On occasion I’ve ended up having to push a small amount of cork into the bottle. This is on vintage port that has been properly stored all its life. If this happens it’s not a big problem as cork floats and easy to remove from your glass if it gets that far!

advertisement

Back