advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the contribution Confucius. Unfortunately, it doesn’t really capture the seriousness of the subject and the ongoing suffering people are having to deal with.
I just made a suggestion as to maybe why they weren't wearing a mask and asked do exempt people really need to be wearing a sign around their necks?
It's likely that some can't be arsed, are protesting, genuinely exempt, left the mask at home etc

The misuse of masks as an "magic protecting device" by people astounds me. As an example I saw one bloke wipe his face on the sleeve of his jumper after eating and then put a mask on. Another in the same cafe put her mask on the table where hundreds had eaten before and somebody else was going to be sat there in the future.
Within 30 minutes a mask will be covered in spit and snot and people can't resist touching it or adjusting it whilst it's on then they spread that onto a chair or table or trolley or basket.
Another blew her nose and put the snot covered tissue into her pocket where previously the mask was stored.
And this is all in the space of 20 minutes in a cafe!

Around 20% of the people in my local supermarket weren’t wearing masks yesterday, despite a notice on the door indicating that it was a requirement. I mentioned at the Customer Services desk (where the agent wasn’t wearing one) that the rule didn’t appear to be enforced. ‘Some people might be exempt, so it’s best not to ask anyone’ she said.

I asked one woman myself. She was taking advantage of her exempt status by eating a chocolate bar. She informed me (I’m paraphrasing here) that I was over-inquisitive, elderly and an anatomical part. But she also asked me who I thought I was. I found it an interesting philosophical question, which I am still pondering. I thank her for that.

Last edited:
And all this 'exemption' nonsense of course further undermines the belief that masks actually work. At the end of the day put 100 people in a small room wearing masks and transmission will be substantially reduced compared to them not wearing them all other things being equal. That is scientific fact and as masks are a relatively inexpensive and easy intervention then they should be encouraged. That is not to say they should be focused on to the exclusion of other interventions, but they are a bit of a no brainer in the grand scheme of things.

I was knocked flat and very horizontally at that for a day and a bit after my first shot (adenovirus-based AZ), and knocked flat for most of a day after my second (mRNA-based funky cold Moderna). A coworker who had the same shots felt fine after hers. It's odd how the side effects vary so much from person to person and vaccine to vaccine.

Somewhat related to the baring of souls ... I've lost a family member to COVID, who was infected by a neighbour in the months before any vaccine was available. He had a short visit outside over a hedge unmasked. He passed it on to his wife, son and daughter, all of whom were hospitalized for weeks with one person needing ventilation. Thankfully she survived but she is now a widow. I've also lost a coworker who did not want to get vaccinated.

Joe

Very sorry to hear this.

And all this 'exemption' nonsense of course further undermines the belief that masks actually work. At the end of the day put 100 people in a small room wearing masks and transmission will be substantially reduced compared to them not wearing them all other things being equal. That is scientific fact and as masks are a relatively inexpensive and easy intervention then they should be encouraged. That is not to say they should be focused on to the exclusion of other interventions, but they are a bit of a no brainer in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly, it doesn't hurt to wear one and there is a good chance you do yourself and others a favour. It's such nonsense to make an issue of something so straight forward, but sadly indicative of what sort of country we have become.

Exactly, it doesn't hurt to wear one and there is a good chance you do yourself and others a favour. It's such nonsense to make an issue of something so straight forward, but sadly indicative of what sort of country we have become.
Yep…the logic that passes the mega-selfish by…is that wearing a mask may not protect you so much (unless it’s medical and well fitted) but if everyone wears a mask or face covering then everyone gains some protection. Let’s work together for the benefit of everyone!

Just had the Moderna vaccine. Only 30min queue in comfort. Easiest jab yet. Have to wait 15min after receiving. Some old buffer said ‘it’s a disgrace having to do this’ (wait)! There no pleasing some folk.

Around 20% of the people in my local supermarket weren’t wearing masks yesterday, despite a notice on the door indicating that it was a requirement. I mentioned at the Customer Services desk (where the agent wasn’t wearing one) that the rule didn’t appear to be enforced. ‘Some people might be exempt, so it’s best not to ask anyone’ she said.

I asked one woman myself. She was taking advantage of her exempt status by eating a chocolate bar. She informed me (I’m paraphrasing here) that I was over-inquisitive, elderly and an anatomical part. But she also asked me who I thought I was. I found it an interesting philosophical question, which I am still pondering. I thank her for that.

That was brave given how bolshy the selfish are. Btw did she pay for the chocolate bar ?

That made me laugh! Do let us know when you have an answer.

That was brave given how bolshy the selfish are. Btw did she pay for the chocolate bar ?
It was the impetuousness of old age. It did occur to me later that it might have ultimately been a bad move - as soon as she had finished her choccy she was probably posting on bloody Twitter about how much fun it had been not to wear a mask and tell an old git where to get off, with the result that her mates will all want to go out and do the same tomorrow.

Here in Cornwall having been under the yoke of the English for some while now I have to report only 2%ish weren’t wearing masks in Tescos. There is no ‘Greeter’ to offer you a mask like a year ago.

I work on the basis that anyone not complying is absolutely gasping to be confronted so they can get something, totally unrelated, off their chest and spit all sorts of stuff into your face. Keep schtum and carry on is my advise…

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back