advertisement

Arthur

hifinutt

hifinutt
No doubt many have been following the tragic news of Arthur the little 6 year old who died

Often visit this area and road so brings it home, it's one of the richest boroughs in England.

I am sure many of you know children's social workers and what a hard job they do and covid did not help the situation as it could be hidden.

How can we help our children's services and community services try and stop things getting to this ?

I’ve got no answers I’m afraid but I was totally shocked at the story on the news last night. I hope they have a tough time behind bars.

I read about the case and found it harrowing that such people could treat a little boy like that, or in the case of the Father, knowingly let it happen. The wicked step-mother is a sadistic child abuser and murderer. I also read that the wicked step-mother was pregnant with Arthurs Father's child, but had an abortion whilst on remand in prison. Arthur's Mother is apparently in Prison serving a sentence for Manslaughter and his Father hooked up and moved in with the new girlfriend and allowed him to be abused, tortured and ultimately murdered. It's sickening. Social services seemingly missed opportunities to intervene and obviously the Covid lockdown and not attending school reduced the opportunities for the problems to be seen and identified. His Father should have been protecting him. Poor little boy didn't deserve this.

Incomprehensible on so many levels, but sadly far from unprecedented. This shit unquestionably happens, and it appears once again that warning signs were missed. Domestic violence is a huge, huge issue, on average two women a week are murdered in the UK alone (Wikipedia).

it's one of the richest boroughs in England.
While Solihull is, for the most part, an affluent Borough it also contains Chelmsley Wood which is one of the most deprived areas in England. I doubt Arthur lived in the leafy suburbs...

Incomprehensible is the only word. The poor little boy.

I really pity social workers + how could you do your job suspecting such evil around every corner?

Undoubtedly (hopefully) there are learnings from this that will help prevent some other child experiencing such abuse.

watching newsnight this evening I couldn’t help but focus on the mention of cludgy software where social workers spend an inordinate amount of their inputing data. I imagined a drop down box (designed by a programmer who knew no better) detailing the risks for the “client”.

I’ve no answers (obviously) but I can’t help thinking that being able to hit “submit” and have completed your work may have something to do with this terrible tragedy reaching such an horrific conclusion for poor young Arthur.

.sjb

The problem as identified is that all social workers spend at least a quarter of their time feeding the beast and even more in youth justice. The Conservatives cut the budget to LA’s years ago, there are 6000 vacancies in England, a large proportion of the social work teams are made up of trainee social workers, the rate experienced social workers leave because the job is crap is astounding, the team managers are more focussed on keeping senior managers happy than having time to manage their team and despite several serious case reviews over the years, there is no joined up data base with other agencies because the Tories scrapped it before it even got going. Are there crap social workers and managers ? Of course there are. Bojo will bluster and blame everyone but the Tories, he will announce some funding but in reality the LA’s will have to fund any changes and cut services elsewhere. Being a safeguarding social worker is one of the shittiest jobs going, they get lambasted at the drop of a hat but you never see any praise for some of the excellent work done. Unfortunately not a sexy role like those in the NHS.

Judge's sentencing remarks,

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/R-v-Tustin-and-Hughes-sentencing-031221-4.pdf

I can understand how a parent cannot cope, and even how at the end of their tether they hit a child in anger; but what I cannot comprehend is the complete detachment these two have. Both deliberately caused suffering beyond words to one child in the house while caring for others, and then just after Arthur’s death they thought they could talk their way out of it.

RIP Arthur.

The problem as identified is that all social workers spend at least a quarter of their time feeding the beast and even more in youth justice. The Conservatives cut the budget to LA’s years ago, there are 6000 vacancies in England, a large proportion of the social work teams are made up of trainee social workers, the rate experienced social workers leave because the job is crap is astounding, the team managers are more focussed on keeping senior managers happy than having time to manage their team and despite several serious case reviews over the years, there is no joined up data base with other agencies because the Tories scrapped it before it even got going. Are there crap social workers and managers ? Of course there are. Bojo will bluster and blame everyone but the Tories, he will announce some funding but in reality the LA’s will have to fund any changes and cut services elsewhere. Being a safeguarding social worker is one of the shittiest jobs going, they get lambasted at the drop of a hat but you never see any praise for some of the excellent work done. Unfortunately not a sexy role like those in the NHS.

I think social workers have an incredibly difficult job. One the one hand there are tragic cases like this but on the other constant criticism of social services being too eager to 'split up families'.

Just watching the news now, not sure we want to see any more information other than what’s already out there as it’s just too upsetting…….horrible bastards

advertisement

Back