advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deaths and cases are a lot lower here than the U.K., despite being months behind the U.K. with vaccines. Fancy that.

Fancy this?

Italy. Population 60M. covid deaths 134K. Deaths : pop= 0.0022

Uk. Population 67M. covid deaths 145K . Deaths : pop= 0.0022

Boosters should be offered to all over 18s - JCVzi

It's really quite simple isn't it despite what those able to find any reason to have an argument would have you believe.
If the main reason behind Italy's currently favourable situation is masks I'll eat mine. There's more behind it, almost certainly. If you're happy with the wrong answer you'll never get to the right answer. It's a serious problem, perhaps the biggest tradeoff you get with masks: people are gulled into thinking something is being done when it's not.

I am all for mask wearing when and where necessary but your post has prompted a couple of questions:

do you know transmission outside is very unlikely

how were you able to identify them as asylum seekers
Yes I know that transmission outside is unlikely, but folk here just keep their masks on as they go between shops or buses or wherever they are going as it saves hassle taking them and off again. You won’t get into a supermarket, restaurant, bar, cinema etc. without a mask. Seems sensible. Masks come off for drinking and eating, which is still mostly outdoors despite close to zero temperatures at night. As to asylum seekers/economic migrants - Italy has taken in many times more Africans and people from the Middle East than the UK, they are a common and obvious feature of many city centres, many now have permission to stay. I haven’t spoken to all of them, but my pal Sadiq for example came from Senegal on a passport that he sent back home as soon as he got here so that someone else could use it - we all look the same to you, he told me, so one passport will do for loads of us. He was a street hustler for a while, selling handbags, running from the cops, but now he’s got his papers and works as a security guard. In a mask. I probably pass ten or more African beggars a day; they all wear masks.

i feel rubbish now - achy all over, headache, sore arm. I am well known for having a sore arm after any vax. AZ first vax left me with a sore arm for 5 days, flu a few weeks back the same....when i travelled for work i was used to being vaxed like a pin cushion.
Unfortunately you're going to have to work your way through it. If you can, Paracetemol and plenty of liquids. Plenty of rest/sleep and look after yourself. TBH you're the first person I've heard of who has got the Moderna as a booster.
I hope your symptoms don't last too long, and remember, you've done the right thing getting the booster.

Yes I know that transmission outside is unlikely, but folk here just keep their masks on as they go between shops or buses or wherever they are going as it saves hassle taking them and off again. You won’t get into a supermarket, restaurant, bar, cinema etc. without a mask. Seems sensible. Masks come off for drinking and eating, which is still mostly outdoors despite close to zero temperatures at night. As to asylum seekers/economic migrants - Italy has taken in many times more Africans and people from the Middle East than the UK, they are a common and obvious feature of many city centres, many now have permission to stay. I haven’t spoken to all of them, but my pal Sadiq for example came from Senegal on a passport that he sent back home as soon as he got here so that someone else could use it - we all look the same to you, he told me, so one passport will do for loads of us. He was a street hustler for a while, selling handbags, running from the cops, but now he’s got his papers and works as a security guard. In a mask. I probably pass ten or more African beggars a day; they all wear masks.

I can honestly say I have never walked down a street in England and thought oh that person looks like an asylum seeker. Black and Asian people have been commonplace since the 50s and 60s and many families are now into their third and fourth generations born in the UK and consider themselves English. Many of my classmates were from Pakistan as is a large part of my family. London must be one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. Look at the composition of the England team from the recent Euros and then compare it with the Italian team from the same tournament. A quick google reveals black and Asian groups accounting for about 14% of the population for England and Wales but less than 2.5% of the total population in Italy. Also, I don’t think I use the word beggar these days - homeless person is far more a prevalent term.

Last edited:
I am currently booked in to have my third dose of a vaccine in about a week and after just receiving my results from the ONS Covid study I am pleased it’s happening. According to the results I don’t have Covid and now I don’t have antibodies either. I had my second dose (of the Oxford vaccine) in June so for me it looks like antibodies only last about five months.

How about more recent figures which might take account of the Italian adoption of mask wearing, and the UK not?
You could compare England with Wales and Scotland, recent figures will take account of that difference.

No they won't.
Didn't Scotland and Wales keep the mandate?

I thought Northern Ireland had but no. When I was last there it seemed that everyone was wearing a mask: in a crowded shop you could pick out maybe one or two people who weren't, and they'd have lanyards explaining why! Cases were and are very high there.

I thought Northern Ireland had but no. When I was last there it seemed that everyone was wearing a mask: in a crowded shop you could pick out maybe one or two people who weren't, and they'd have lanyards explaining why! Cases were and are very high there.
I spent a few days in Scotland at the end of September and whilst on a train journey from Glasgow to Saltcoats with Mrs W, on route to see our granddaughter for the first time, was sat close to two lads and a girl.
None of them had a mask on - the girl spent the entire journey doing her hair with some curling tongs that she'd bought with her and the two lads generally took the piss out of her.
About halfway through the journey the ticket inspector rocked up and neither of tha lads had a ticket and so were forced to purchase one there and then.
At no point during the transaction was there any reference to the fact that all three of them should be wearing face coverings and would they please follow the protocol.
I live in France and if I went into a shop or on a train without a mask I'd be chucked out/off sans hésitation.

Yes:-
''By law, everyone age 12 and over must wear a face covering in most indoor public places in Scotland.''

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-public-use-of-face-coverings/

Everything I've seen and heard suggests compliance is high, but there will always be exceptions...

I spent a few days in Scotland at the end of September and whilst on a train journey from Glasgow to Saltcoats with Mrs W, on route to see our granddaughter for the first time, was sat close to two lads and a girl.
None of them had a mask on - the girl spent the entire journey doing her hair with some curling tongs that she'd bought with her and the two lads generally took the piss out of her.
About halfway through the journey the ticket inspector rocked up and neither of tha lads had a ticket and so were forced to purchase one there and then.
At no point during the transaction was there any reference to the fact that all three of them should be wearing face coverings and would they please follow the protocol.
I live in France and if I went into a shop or on a train without a mask I'd be chucked out/off sans hésitation.
What I'm getting from this is that it's not the mandate but the enforcement of the mandate, and this tends to be where mask discourse ends up, which is another big problem with it IMO. If masks are the difference between success and failure then as long as someone somewhere sees people in a shop not wearing masks, it's all the public's fault, and the only solution is cops in every newsagents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back