advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frosty the No Man is uncharacteristically quiet at the moment, perhaps his mouth has finally written more cheques than his arse could cash? Then again maybe he’s hoping the rag bag of Unionist nutters taking their attempt to strike down the NIP back to the Court of Appeal will get a different answer to the same question.

An extremist minority trying to tear down their Province’s export-led economic revival in order to make Johnson look strong in the face of the EU. The self defeating tragedy that is Brexit.
Meanwhile, Britain’s version of the KKK got the members out to sign up:

“Declaration opposing the Brexit Protocol signed in 250 Orange Halls”.

“DUP leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson has said a new poll suggesting 60% of voters in the Republic would vote for a united Ireland shows “surprisingly low” support”.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...d-remarkably-low-says-donaldson-41098208.html

Funnily enough he didn’t think the 44% minority of his compatriots who voted to leave the EU to be a democratic problem. He can see where this is going and he can allow it to happen peaceably or he can turn the clock back to the days of sectarian violence.

Jeffrey has had no reason to ever live in the normal world. Sterling transfers in the billions for many years allows him to live in his glass bubble.

That survey showed that Irish people are not too keen on taking on extra taxation to subsidize the NI experiment. Weaning NI off this drug and continuing the move to a vibrant economy that is starting to flower because of the NIP is the right way to go. Jeffrey don't want that.

I noticed an article today about an Irish competitor to Mcdonalds. They are having to advertise across the EU for workers. Not just the UK who are having these issues but at least companies here have other options.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/20...forced-to-recruit-from-overseas-to-fill-jobs/

Oops more bad news for Jeffrey. NI outperforms the rest of the UK because of the NIP. Drat!
https://www.irishtimes.com/business...ms-rest-of-uk-official-figures-show-1.4742296
Ha, but never underestimate the well-known Unionist tendency of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Not to mention the tendency to dwell on ancient history. If you scratch Jeffrey, you'd find "Home Rule is Rome rule!" underneath, as voiced frequently by my bitterly Prod grandmother.

Ha, but never underestimate the well-known Unionist tendency of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Not to mention the tendency to dwell on ancient history. If you scratch Jeffrey, you'd find "Home Rule is Rome rule!" underneath, as voiced frequently by my bitterly Prod grandmother.

More bad news :D https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tly-from-ireland-to-eu-up-by-50-in-six-months
Trade direct to Europe up 50% in 6 months. Irish hauliers are voting with their feet and trucks and avoiding the UK routes.
In another blow for auld Jeffrey NI companies who previously used Dublin port for quicker assess to the UK are now using NI ports. Trade is significantly up through those ports.
So Brexit and NIP is working for Ireland and NI. Good news all round except for the dour Jeffrey.

Perhaps they'll now do something about that little road down to Rosslare, which gets so bunged.

Perhaps they'll now do something about that little road down to Rosslare, which gets so bunged.
Probably a long while since you made the journey Tones. They have, it is motorway now up to the last 30Km approx. You can drive from Belfast all the way past Enniscorthy on motorway. Believe it or not it's a lot better than the Cairnryan, Stranraer routes out to the motorway system in the UK. Dublin up to Brexit always took the majority of the freight traffic.

Probably a long while since you made the journey Tones. They have, it is motorway now up to the last 30Km approx. You can drive from Belfast all the way past Enniscorthy on motorway. Believe it or not it's a lot better than the Cairnryan, Stranraer routes out to the motorway system in the UK. Dublin up to Brexit always took the majority of the freight traffic.

Indeed it is. I did it once, quite a while ago, and vowed never to do it again. Little road through little towns and villages, lots of trucks and roadworks. Nightmare.

Mind you, not as much a nightmare as that road from Gretna to Cairnryan, especially in a LHD car following big trucks in the rain. Instead of ridiculous ideas such as bridges and tunnels to Ireland, that road could be improved at a fraction of the estimated cost.

P.S. Just had a peek at Google maps. It has the M11 ending at Scurlochsbush in a roundabout that takes you on to the N11 - and you still have to circumnavigate Wexford. If that map isn't out of date, the M11 needs to continue much closer to Rosslare.

Indeed it is. I did it once, quite a while ago, and vowed never to do it again. Little road through little towns and villages, lots of trucks and roadworks. Nightmare.

Mind you, not as much a nightmare as that road from Gretna to Cairnryan, especially in a LHD car following big trucks in the rain. Instead of ridiculous ideas such as bridges and tunnels to Ireland, that road could be improved at a fraction of the estimated cost.

P.S. Just had a peek at Google maps. It has the M11 ending at Scurlochsbush in a roundabout that takes you on to the N11 - and you still have to circumnavigate Wexford. If that map isn't out of date, the M11 needs to continue much closer to Rosslare.

Hugely changed Wexford is bypassed and all the towns down to Surlochsbush all bypassed and all now motorway. The traffic has diminished by the time it gets to the last stretch. Of course they need to probably ultimately get it all up to motorway. I remember the trips down for the Irish Ferries St Patrick on my motorcycle. Hard slow route with plenty of accident black spots. We are not Switzerland so don't hold your breath waiting for upgraded train link and full motorway:D

The Cairnryan route is nearly 120Km before you hit the M6! but if you have the time the scenery is really pretty.
Have to laugh at Bojo bridge when the last 75 miles is predominantly single carraigeway. I travelled it recently getting to Cairnryan in the middle of the night. Hard slog to the motorway on poorly lit roads. Larne is a fairly awful place. Thankfully I barely saw it either way!

It’s all gone a bit quiet on the Eastern Front. Frosty the Nowhere Man. Meanwhile the Brit tabloids are exhorting him to plant mighty oaks in defiance of the European Union which is plotting against us and slapping down over tree planting apparently.

“Ignore them and plant the oaks! Britons lose patience with stubborn EU over Brexit plot
BRITONS are losing patience with the EU after European Union negotiator Maros Sefcovic slapped down Lord David Frost's proposal to ease trade issues in Northern Ireland”.

It’s all gone a bit quiet on the Eastern Front. Frosty the Nowhere Man. Meanwhile the Brit tabloids are exhorting him to plant mighty oaks in defiance of the European Union which is plotting against us and slapping down over tree planting apparently.

“Ignore them and plant the oaks! Britons lose patience with stubborn EU over Brexit plot
BRITONS are losing patience with the EU after European Union negotiator Maros Sefcovic slapped down Lord David Frost's proposal to ease trade issues in Northern Ireland”.
"Who would have thought playing silly fools waving around Article 16 would have negative consequences on trade?"

"Who would have thought playing silly fools waving around Article 16 would have negative consequences on trade?"
Johnson desperately needs to keep the EU negotiations in a permanent state of ‘furious erupting and slapping down’ to distract from the very deep trouble he and his government are in. They’re prepared to throw the people and the economy of N.Ireland under a bus again for party political benefit. N.Ireland is booming compared with the U.K. yet he’s prepared to sacrifice it and form common cause with a small sectarian party wishing to turn the clock back a century.

A page of the Francois memoirs has already been leaked (Twitter).

PS I suspect the Amazon reviews will be the best we’ve seen since that David Hasslehoff album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back