advertisement

TV show - record deck ID?

A good guess, but, no, too narrow.

At this stage of the game, what with only one contestant in two weeks, I'll just post the answer...

Pickering body with a Stanton stylus assembly... i.e. classic Pickering equals Stanton, and classic Stanton equals Pickering.

In this case, a Pickering 625 DJ ('DJ' as in broadcast vs. 'turntablism') with a Stanton EEE tip on.

Therefore, Pickering or Stanton for the win!

1971027-11d44e41-lenco-b55-turntable.jpg

A good guess, but, no, too narrow.

At this stage of the game, what with only one contestant in two weeks, I'll just post the answer...

Pickering body with a Stanton stylus assembly... i.e. classic Pickering equals Stanton, and classic Stanton equals Pickering.

In this case, a Pickering 625 DJ ('DJ' as in broadcast vs. 'turntablism') with a Stanton EEE tip on.

Therefore, Pickering or Stanton for the win!

1971027-11d44e41-lenco-b55-turntable.jpg
Ah, I was thinking it could be Stanton too!

We were addicted to the original Belgian series (shown on Ch4 a few years back)

Not sure I could cope with Ben Miller as the Prof .....
Haven't seen any of the original Belgian series, myself.

Ben Miller does appear to channel (funnel?) both the characters of Dr. Martin Ellingham (Doc Martin) and DI Richard Poole (Death in Paradise), along with a smidgen of the PTSD war vet parks ranger, Stewart James, that he played in Doc Martin - although no giant squirrel BFFs have appeared, or not appeared as the case may be, so far (although I did enjoy the cheerleaders scene down the end of the hall in episode 2 of Prof. T, UK version).

Last edited:
Just watched episode 3 and the good Professor has a nice vintage vinyl setup at the family home as well. Continuing the Lenco connection, the deck appears to be a Leak Delta (OEM L75/GL75) sitting atop a Luxman R1030 receiver. The loudspeakers appear to be roughly the same dimensions as Tangent TM3, but I'm not certain that they are actually Tangent.

Screen-Shot-2021-10-01-at-9-39-24-PM.png

After watching Professor T (UK version), the GF and I decided to have a look at the original Belgian series. We are both really enjoying it so far.

Ironically, eccentric professor and criminologist Jasper Teerlinck (he's Jasper Tempest in the UK series) has what appears to be a Rega RP3/Elys 2 in his office system, complete with cool alloy Rega 45rpm singles adapter on that harks back to the design of Planet Turntable platter and original Planet CDP hub. All closeups of this deck show a 7" single being played.

The character's home turntable prop appears to be an early 70s CEC built Sanyo TP 625 semi-auto BD with AT-3600L on a Technics style headshell; this sitting above a silver face Philips analog tuner and matching integrated amp.

8caa03ba-3dfa-4e8c-b608-1064fc6f833b.jpg

Last edited:
The last few Perry Mason episodes I’ve watched have featured turntables. One had a scene in a hifi shop, with the store owner listening with great enjoyment to an LP of train noises.

Both turntables featured massive big tone arms, unlike anything I’ve seen ‘in the flesh’. They may have been mock-ups, of course.

Perry Mason ran from 1957 to 1966, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be a mock-up in order to have a massive big tonearm on.

A Gray Research and Development Co. 108 or 208 16" would certainly fit the bill...

30158_gray2085d.jpg

This particular series was made in 1961. The tonearm was similar to the one in your picture, but it had a headshell in a different colour to the arm (the programme is in black and white, so not sure what colour).

Edit: A browse on Google images suggests it might be an RCA model of some sort.

Yes, shagadelic (to quote international man of mystery, Austin Powers)!

Imagine, in the pre-CD days, being able to simply press track 3 on the remote whilst pouring a glass of red for the bird you just pulled. :D
Oh absolutely - just what I was thinking !

I remember that episode, Martyn. The suspect turntable was an ADC Accutrac 4000 with HF remote control receiver looking like a wee robot head.

4247779030_80779ea0f2_b.jpg

It was indeed! The episode was "The Bye Bye Sky High IQ Murder Case" from Series 6.

I found it on the Daily Motion video site.
Thanks Martyn, but I just can't bring myself to watch Columbo again in this lifetime.

It was bad enough in the '70s, waiting for his forced episodic brain farts to cease long enough for him to declare that the suspect that he had been courting all episode long was, in fact, the murderer.

Not to mention that Columbo invented the 'he/she whom has the second most number of lines is the murderer' that continues on to this day; the exceptions being when there are two cop partners and/or one or more decoy suspects enlisted in order to throw us off.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back