advertisement

Scam warning

I spoke to a guy who sold a Rolex on ebay to person in Russia using PayPal. The buyer reported the genuine watch as a fake and returned the watch getting his money back. The poor bloke no longer has a genuine Rolex and is out of pocket. I’m also not sure what that does to his credit rating.

I love buying using PayPal as it covers my risk but as dodgy buyers are abusing this avenue it increases the risk for the seller.

I spoke to a guy who sold a Rolex on ebay to person in Russia using PayPal. The buyer reported the genuine watch as a fake and returned the watch getting his money back. The poor bloke no longer has a genuine Rolex and is out of pocket. I’m also not sure what that does to his credit rating.

I love buying using PayPal as it covers my risk but as dodgy buyers are abusing this avenue it increases the risk for the seller.
Google tells me these things have serial numbers? You ought to be able to prove what’s genuine and what’s not.

Google tells me these things have serial numbers? You ought to be able to prove what’s genuine and what’s not.
I think the problem is that PayPal side with the buyer and possibly with hindsight he might have taken more precautions around proving authenticity before posting, or not sending a Rolex to Russia. In the case of PayPal it is seller beware.

I think the problem is that PayPal side with the buyer.

A bit of an oft repeated myth imho, and I've been using them from the start. Do things properly, jump through all the necessary hoops, and you should be fine.

...and possibly with hindsight he might have taken more precautions around proving authenticity before posting, or not sending a Rolex to Russia.

That I can agree with.

There's a new scam doing the rounds in Cardiff - people are turning up to buy high value items such as late model iphones, and "paying" by doing a bank transfer from their phones. When the funds aren't received into the seller's accounts, they "show" that the money has left their account... Out of all the apps that are available, this has to be the shittiest one ever.

A lot of people are falling for this.

There's a new scam doing the rounds in Cardiff - people are turning up to buy high value items such as late model iphones, and "paying" by doing a bank transfer from their phones. When the funds aren't received into the seller's accounts, they "show" that the money has left their account... Out of all the apps that are available, this has to be the shittiest one ever.

A lot of people are falling for this.
Scammer: "Look, it's left my account."
Me: "Yet it hasn't arrived in mine. When it does, the item's yours to take."

Thank you guys for saving me! What a jerk!

I Google searched every bit of his money transfer info and four this post barely based on his address. He sent me all the same pho today of him. His phot ID. Etc. once I said I would do it, his emails came in super fast line a quick copy/paste. Big red flag. He’s changed his first name, street number by a few digits and his bank:

Adam

Might be ligit, but too many alarm bells for me. Asks if i will ship abroad, i agree. Says spam filters blocking emails so cant use conversations can we use ebay messages, i decline so he wants my email address, then I get a hyperlink to read his full meesage. Then i get a spury of low value ebay offers and then a message on ebay saying the person, named, who contacted me on pfm is not to be trusted and to follow this link to find out why.

Posted on here in case others get sent links and follow them without due care and attention. They may be ligitimate but better safe than sorry.

As well as here, I've listed some stuff on Gumtree (usually works well for stuff that needs collection locally) and had the usual "Hi, is this still available?" message through the Gumtree app. I reply yes - then get silence.

At 2am this morning I got another message asking for 'more pics and information' to be sent via WhatsApp - the typical start of a scam, it's so obvious. Apparently the scammer thought telling me they're in Worcester would help (firstly they're lying, and the small fact it's180 miles from me for a collection-only listing) and then providing a number for WhatsApp in India...

Always be suspicious of anyone trying to message you from outside of wherever you're selling. I'll also admit to sleuthing a bit when buying and selling from members here; a long-standing account and decent post-count are normally good indicators of legitimacy (although not absolute of course).

anyone ever come across a hifi dealer called K4 POG HIFI ?

he/she has something I’m very interested in but something is making me wary.

any experience with them amongst you lot?

advertisement

Back