advertisement

Thread for photos of really nice record shelves

I always promise myself that when I move out to the sticks I'll have the space for my dream record room with nice purpose built shelves, soft lighting and (obviously) a good rug to tie the room together. Bliss.

This photo from an article about Audio Note reminded me of it today.

I wondered if there were any likeminded members?

Do you have an unhealthy interest in other people's shelves? Or perhaps you already have the shelves of your dreams?

FR2fYRR.jpg

Those are really nice. I made a mistake with mine in going for full-width spans of the alcoves without dividers which makes getting stuff in/out far too hard.

I plan to build a nice set of shelves for my collection soon
But want to make them strong and pretty...so need nice wood
The trouble is ...the cost of wood is going up faster than I can save the money for it !

I did think on making a nice rack for my records but the Ikea Expedit was a quarter of the price, so I went with that, it is the only piece of furniture in the lounge I didn't make.
Veneered MDF has doubled in price so would be even more evpensive to make.

Pete

49837291282_51e5f8d68b_b.jpg

Mine was quite expensive as it is inch-thick plywood and built by a proper joiner (I can’t do woodwork at all). I can’t remember what it cost as its been there for about 17-18 years now. As stated above I made a serious design error in not splitting the spans with at least one divider, which given the weight of the vinyl means the shelves need to be very accurately filled (to stop leaning) and removing/replacing albums is not easy due to the weight in play. I can obviously do it as I’ve had enough practice, but I don’t let anyone else return stuff to the shelves as it is just too easy to crease (and obviously devalue/downgrade) covers. A central divider would probably be enough to make it manageable. An Expidit is actually a far better solution assuming you have a floor capable of taking a loaded one.

PS Perspective is somewhat odd due to iPad wide-angle lens, but it makes the point.

Mine was quite expensive as it is inch-thick plywood and built by a proper joiner (I can’t do woodwork at all). I can’t remember what it cost as its been there for about 17-18 years now. As stated above I made a serious design error in not splitting the spans with at least one divider, which given the weight of the vinyl means the shelves need to be very accurately filled (to stop leaning) and removing/replacing albums is not easy due to the weight in play. I can obviously do it as I’ve had enough practice, but I don’t let anyone else return stuff to the shelves as it is just too easy to crease (and obviously devalue/downgrade) covers. A central divider would probably be enough to make it manageable. An Expidit is actually a far better solution assuming you have a floor capable of taking a loaded one.

PS Perspective is somewhat odd due to iPad wide-angle lens, but it makes the point.

A central divider would be easy to fit either with screws or stopped slots cut in the dividers and biscuits in the shelves for a totally invisable joint.

Pete

Those are actually Kans then?

I'm loving the speaker cable placement... I wouldn't get away with that... she'd be moaning like a god 'un :D Going to show her this and tell her this is what a proper listening room should look like ... wish me luck :D

A central divider would be easy to fit either with screws or stopped slots cut in the dividers and biscuits in the shelves for a totally invisable joint.

That’s totally beyond me I’m afraid. Rebuilding ancient turntables, soldering stuff, fixing old computers etc is no problem, but anything that involves saws and wood I stand no chance!

Dave Hepworth has the full span thing going! Full span is stronger, given the same supports, rather than two halfs. This a great chat with Colleen Murphy (Classic Album Sundays etc) btw and she has some good looking shelves, as you might expect.

is this thread restricted to shelving for records? what about spice racks? is a sock drawer a step too far?

advertisement

Back