advertisement

rice

Cook until al dente, then drain. Heat ghee in the bottom of a large non stick sauce pan. When sizzling pour in rice, place a tea towel on top and then turn down heat to low. Steam for 15-20 minutes or until base becomes crispy. Turn out as a cake, then serve,

Jeeze ...what complications...its very simple.
Basmati rice.
Wash it in hot water in the pan three times or so. The water you finally pour off should be nearly clear.
Boil a kettle, add the boiling water to the drained rice, add salt to taste, put lid on, and set a timer for 8 minutes. Bring to boil and then simmer. Some rice may need 8 and a half minutes, never more.
Chuck in a collander, when water stops draining throw the rice back in the pan, put lid on, allow to rest for 15 mins.

Last edited:
Cook until al dente, then drain. Heat ghee in the bottom of a large non stick sauce pan. When sizzling pour in rice, place a tea towel on top and then turn down heat to low. Steam for 15-20 minutes or until base becomes crispy. Turn out as a cake, then serve,

You find this across cultures. Well worth the effort but practise first, it’s tricky.

lot’s of pasta recipes for rice here!

if you don’t use a cooker and for a different, fluffy and rich gorgeous texture - here is what I like to do with basmati (I use no measures, I suppose that’s why it works well):

heat up a pan, add some oil, fry the rice (Stir Constantly) just only until white opacity and take care not to burn it, poor boiling hot water (lots of steam here, you will feel like a proper chef at this point) so it covers it and is about an inch on top for a medium deep pan and rice for about 3 portions, then put salt, stir, lower heat to absolute min best on gas (from this point on don’t stir any more until rice is cooked), cover very well with a good lid, check after 6-8 mins water should be about level with rice, make holes with the handle of your wooden spoon across the whole terrain so it starts to steam through them, cover and monitor until water has almost evaporated - serve immediately! enjoy

1x rice 2 x water bring to a boil and then turn right down and cover, usually works for me.

Pete

Rolling boil (gentle) for 10/11 minutes, then turn off heat with well fitting lid and steam for 10 minutes.
With Basmati avoid stirring as this releases the starch and makes it gloopy.

You find this across cultures. Well worth the effort but practise first, it’s tricky.
Yes, I had this as a student with some Iranian friends. It's tricky. My flatmate tried it many times and burnt it every time, mind you he was a lousy cook.

Years ago a chef from my local curry house told me to do this, it has never failed.

Pan of boiling water, add rice. Water should be 2-3 times over the rice, always keep water level above rice.

Simmer until rice is cooked.

Immediately rinse rice in cold water to stop cooking. Keep rinsing until water runs clear, excess starch etc. has gone.

Drain

Keep cool until needed and then add to boiling water to reheat.
This is a good method. I have a few depending on the desired outcome, but this is one of the best. I cook it to just -off cooked, then the reheat just finishes it off.

I've frequently wondered how I got along without a rice cooker. Bought one on amazon. Its so damn easy and so very consistent. No water left at the end (but not dry) and seconds to clean.
Dont waste your money on a fancy model with various settings - you wont use them.

I own two of these. Cheap and excellent.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Such faff...buy a rice cooker, wash the rice, and just use less than twice the water to rice, close cooker, turn on, step away...

If you soak rice, keep it in the fridge. Otherwise Bacillus cereus food poisoning lurks.

Yeah, I was going to say the 'cook it, cool it and reheat it' is also a suspect preparation method for exactly this reason.

I don't often cook plain rice, but if I do, boiling water works for me. I avoid basmati as it's not normally the right texture for the cooking I do. Most rice dishes for me are risotto or paella type stuff, so i'm typically using a short or medium grain rice which absorbs well.

I find it interesting that just putting rice in water and cooking it seems to be something that doesn't achieve the results people expect. I guess it's not a question of being cooked, it must be more to do with some sort of expectation about how it behaves on the plate, or a texture? I'd suggest that maybe the problem is the rice you are using rather than the cooking method, as there is quite a range of rice varieties and qualities out there.

There are two distinct methods for cooking rice: Rapid boil then drain, or simmer until all water is absorbed.

I prefer the latter. Use a rice cooker, and use the right amount of water. Brown rice / unpolished rice needs more water - at least 2:1. White rices, after a thorough wash in cold water, you can get away with 1:1 water ratio.

After years of cooking rice, I still get better results with a cheap rice cooker than a pot on stove top. Rice cookers are almost idiot-proof.

advertisement

Back