advertisement

rice

have real problems with cooking this correctly. is a rice cooker advisable for numbskulls such as me. HELP please

I've never ate so much rice since getting a rice cooker, one of the best gadgets I've ever bought. I've tried it on the hob every which way but it never turns out very well compared with the rice cooker which is set and forget. For what they cost just get one.

Rice is among the most basic foodstuffs, and boiled rice among the simplest recipes.

But still, I noticed that some of the people who eat most of it, the Japanese, tend to have rice cookers. Must be something to them. So I impulsively splashed out on a moderately expensive Yum Asia Bamboo.

Brilliant thing, worth every penny and will be replaced the moment it breaks down. Even my spending-phobic other half thinks it’s fantastic.

Turns out that even if rice seems like it should be simple to cook, millions of Japanese people (among many others, of course) aren’t wrong.

Edit - as a nod to Tony, there’s actually a Black Friday deal on the same model here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WHD5P27/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
rice cooker, here it comes, been trying for 40 years or so. plenty of winners in the past, but not recently (15years or so)

Rice is among the most basic foodstuffs, and boiled rice among the simplest recipes.

But still, I noticed that some of the people who eat most of it, the Japanese, tend to have rice cookers. Must be something to them. So I impulsively splashed out on a moderately expensive Yum Asia Bamboo.

Brilliant thing, worth every penny and will be replaced the moment it breaks down. Even my spending-phobic other half thinks it’s fantastic.

Turns out that even if rice seems like it should be simple to cook, millions of Japanese people (among many others, of course) aren’t wrong.

Edit - as a nod to Tony, there’s actually a Black Friday deal on the same model here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WHD5P27/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Bloody hell 160 queen heads for a rice cooker, you must love rice!

This is the one I went with

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078NW7BLK/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
KitchenCraft KCRICECOOK Microwave Rice Cooker and Steamer, BPA Free Plastic, 1.5 Litre, White / Red https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001IWD7O/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

£10, we use it all the time. Decent rice every time. Is better if you let it sit for 10mins once cooked and then fluff up. Set the microwave for say 18mins.and then forget. Haven't used a pan since we got it. Lots of chums now use them after our "enthusiasm" !!

Use basmati rice. Place the rice in a sieve and pour some boiling water on the rice. Then into a pan of boiling water - I never measure the water. Stir to make sure that the rice does not form lumps. Turn down the heat so that the water is just “bubbling”.
Leave for 20 mins and stir once or twice in that time.
Back into the sieve and another rinse with boiling water. Perfect boiled rice.

we had a rice cooker, but like the deep fat fryer it took up too much space. @blossomchris I'll send you a recipe from Yotam which results in perfect basmati in a normal pan. The answer is letting it steam gently with a tea cloth under the lid after cooking. In essence 2:1 boiling water to rice, cook for about 5 mins, and set aside to steam gently.

We cook loads of rice. Basmati best. Start with two parts water to one part rice. As you get to know your brand of rice you may be able to lower the quantity of water a bit
into saucepan, bit of salt, bit of oil or butter. Lid on, high heat until it boils then the lowest heat on the smallest burner. Simmer 12 mins. Turn off heat. Leave for 12 mins. Every grain fluffy and separate as they say

Cheap rice cooker is go. You need to match the water to rice ratio, but once done, it just turns off once the water has evaporated and the temp starts to rise. Leave to rest a few minutes with the lid off.
Having said that, my stepson brought one back from Korea that was expensive, simple and lasted ten years….
Also, when Armageddon arrives you can cook one pot meals in them with a little imagination( and electricity)

we had a rice cooker, but like the deep fat fryer it took up too much space. @blossomchris I'll send you a recipe from Yotam which results in perfect basmati in a normal pan. The answer is letting it steam gently with a tea cloth under the lid after cooking. In essence 2:1 boiling water to rice, cook for about 5 mins, and set aside to steam gently.

i did see that one. will try this method next before buying in

Figured if I was going to do it, I may as well do it properly! No regrets tho.

PS You calling pounds Queen heads just makes the think of ‘green queens’ and Mike Strutter. A Strutter Bubble would have been ace for lockdown walks/shopping!

I nicked it off Strutter :D

Years ago a chef from my local curry house told me to do this, it has never failed.

Pan of boiling water, add rice. Water should be 2-3 times over the rice, always keep water level above rice.

Simmer until rice is cooked.

Immediately rinse rice in cold water to stop cooking. Keep rinsing until water runs clear, excess starch etc. has gone.

Drain

Keep cool until needed and then add to boiling water to reheat.

I showed this thread to my wife. She’s Chinese Malaysian and has been cooking rice all her life. Oh how she laughed.

Get a rice cooker.

Ours is a Panasonic that will do everything, rice, soups, rice porridge, sticky rice, sushi rice etc..

for some reason not happening here, been trying for yonks
1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water and keep watching it on a low boil so when it absorbs the water it doesn't stick to the pan and burn. When the water seems to have diappeared it's ready. Or get a rice cooker and do the same proportions. Its a bit more water for cheaper easy cook large grain rice, maybe 1.1 part water.

I had a Thai restaurant once upon a time. This is what they did. The 2-1 ratio I never saw in the restaurant or in all my time in Thailand. My mum does that and gets away wiht it, but when I do it like that I dont get it right.

Lot of bizarre mehtods upthread, but there you go. We're all different. Unless you're Thai. They all seemed to do what I do. And I do that because I learnt it from them!

I tend to use a rice cooker. Different types of rice have different absorption rates. Too much water in the rice cooker and you get mushy rice, too little and it becomes a bit undercooked and bitty. As a general rule, I tend to wash the rice under cold water to get rid of the starch. Soaking for say 30 minutes helps too. Then use 1:1 rice:water for long grain and basmati types
Agree with all that!

My wife is Vietnamese and rice is like a religion for her. As such we have a Yum Asia rice cooker which seems to give excellent results. She generally eats Thai Fragrant Rice ( Green Dragon ) I sometimes also cook Basmati in it if I'm having a curry.

My wife is Vietnamese and rice is like a religion for her. As such we have a Yum Asia rice cooker which seems to give excellent results. She generally eats Thai Fragrant Rice ( Green Dragon ) I sometimes also cook Basmati in it if I'm having a curry.

Lucky you with a wife like her!

What water : rice ratio do you and your wife use?

I'm interested in her technical instructions on rice type / washing / steeping / water ratio / rice cooker settings....

advertisement

Back